LETTER: A Note From Debi Wagner, Candidate For City Council Pos. #6

Most citizens in Burien are not aware of my candidacy because I did not have to run in the Primary Election. I am running for Position 6 of the Burien City Council. I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself to you. In recommending me for the city council, Burien’s founding First Mayor Jhaveri said:

“I have known Debi for many years, as a passionate and dedicated Community Leader, working in the areas of Environment, Education, Fiscal Policies, Children Causes, and Sustainability. As a wife, mother, and champion of local issues, she has demonstrated her leadership qualities of vision, integrity, diplomacy, communication, coordination, accountability, and transparency.”

I have lived and worked in the area nearly all my life and all of my 7 children attended Highline schools. My husband and I chose this community to raise our family because of the safe small town atmosphere. As a school volunteer, employee and union worker at a local business, I am concerned about Burien’s future. I feel that some council members have been unresponsive to citizen concerns regarding some past and upcoming decisions. I intend to listen and represent people not special interests.

I have concerns about further annexations by the City of Burien due to Burien’s current economic challenges. I favor Burien’s small town atmosphere and believe Burien may be growing itself too fast. Becoming a more attractive and desirable place people want to live in, visit and move into is more important to me. Alternative transportation, public market, parks, walking, biking, trails, arts, entertainment are desirable assets the city could expand. I have been an outspoken environmental advocate regarding the noise, air and water pollution problems produced by airport operations.

Thank you for your support, and please be sure to vote on November 8th.

– Debi Wagner

Email: [email protected]

Mailing address:

Friends to Elect Debi Wagner
PO Box 66591
Seattle, WA 98166

[Have something you’d like to share with our Readers? Please send us your Letter to the Editor via email. Include your full name, and, pending our review, we’ll most likely publish it.]

Comments

29 Responses to “LETTER: A Note From Debi Wagner, Candidate For City Council Pos. #6”
  1. Neil says:

Debi, you have my vote. Thanks for standing up for the majority of the residents of Burien that do not want annexation of white center.

2. Erik Robbins says:

Ballot already in the mail. Thank you and good luck.

3. Sheila Doane says:

You can count on my vote, as can Bob Edgar and Lucy Krakowiak.

4. Michael says:

You have mine and my wife’s vote. It’s time to clean house on the city council.

5. Mindy Maxwell says:

Debi your a breath of fresh air.

6. Chris says:

Not sure who I’ll vote for, but one thing I’ll say is I grow pretty weary of everyone who claims that Burien is some sort of “small town.” Folks–it’s not a small town. Even before the first annexation it wasn’t a small town.

Yes, perhaps the Olde Burien area gives the feeling of a “small town,” but the City of Burien is NOT a small town. Small town politics? Yes, that much is certain. But keep in mind, Burien is th e21st largest city in the state. Hardly a “small town.”

Just my two-cents….

• elizabeth2 says:

Yes, but it was a happy 31st before 1st annexation….wny do we want to move up even further to number 15 or so?

• Chris says:

Not saying we need to annex any further, simply mentioning that Burien is NOT a small town. People that think Burien is some sort of tiny town, haven’t paid much attention.

The first annexation I think was a good move, however the next one is too soon I believe. Oh, and while most beat the drum of annexation not being financially viable (which is a valid concern), I think most are against it due to the area to be considered for annexation being “White Center.” At the end of the day–it’s purely a stigma thing.

Funny how the issue of annexation has been going on for over 8 years now, and the arguments are all the same–just a different cast of characters on each side.

• burien merchant says:

STILL WAITING FOR A POTENTIAL COUNCIL MEMBER TO MENTION HOW THEY PLAN ON BRINGING SOME MONEY IN TO KEEP WHAT BUSINESSES THAT ARE LEFT HERE? WE NEED DYNAMIC PEOPLE WITH REAL IDEAS. SOMEONE NEEDS TO TELL MIKE MARTIN TO HELP SMALL BUSINESSES AND STOP ADDING ON TO THE CITY HE ALREADY CANNOT MANAGE.

IS THIS YOU??????

• Chris says:

Bro, turn off your CAPS. It pretty-much amounts to yelling in my face in computer land. Sheesh…

• Coverofnight says:

Burien is not small-town? Have you ever ventured north of Roxbury to a place called Seattle? Try comparing those two cities……Burien really is small town……and should stay that way! No to annexation, no to unions and no to Mike Martin.

• Rainycity says:

Oh, I see the troll has returned to pay a visit.

• Chris says:

Uh yeah, I have ventured acoss Roxbury. And you know what changed and also what I noticed? Nothing. There’s pretty-much no difference in scenery all the way from Burien (along Ambaum) and into Seattle’s side of White Center.

The outskirts and neighborhodds of Seattle are NO different than neighborhoods anywhere else.

Oh, and what’s with the red herrings about Mike Martin and unions?!? Go pedal your craziness somewhere else. I’m all stocked up.

• Rainycity says:

The red herrings are all about his being a troll and always trying to distract from the topic at hand. Don`t pay him no mind and he might just go back under his bridge but it`s doubtful because he always seems to piss on himself when he`s there.

• Feral Dog says:

“Burien may be growing itself too fast.”
      Gee, How many times have I said that, Burien trying to be something it`s not ready for,
      One thing I feel Burien needs to do is focus on what it does have and improve on that,
      Find more money for education in our schools, quit running the small business owners out (or trying to).
      Well, I best not get going on my soapbox here, don`t have enough time.
      Support your unions. *woof*

• Bonnie Moormeier says:

Compared to Seattle, Tacoma, Everett, Bellevue, Issaquah, etc., we are a small town and, as such, we do have the ability to influence and affect the quality of life in our community. Most of the residents care deeply about the success of our city and the local businesses. While we may not agree on how to achieve this success, I think it is safe to say that many of us believe that it does not make sense to grow an already struggling city at this time. By voting, we at least have an opportunity to send a strong anti-annexation message to our City Council.

7. May says:

Debi,
    Nice article explaining who you are and what you stand for. Good luck to you , Bob and Lucy. All of you have my vote.

8. Paula says:

Gordon Shaw is your major player for property rights, and no one fights harder for them, and yes, he happens to be for annexation, IF IT’S VIABLE…(he has said over and over), but the point is moot anyway, because there are already 4 votes for annexation without him!

• William Forest says:

I question your claim of 4 votes for annexation.. If Bob Edgar Lucy Krakowiak and Debbie Wagner are elected and become part of the make up of the new council. Then there are only two firm votes for annexation. Joan McGilton and Rose Clark..
      There will be three firm votes against it and two swing votes in Brian Bennett and Jack Block.. If either one of them swing against annexation then it goes down and will not proceed any further at this time..

Considering these facts.. I would not be betting any money on annexation going thru until we see the make up of the council after the election in November.

9. Debi Wagner says:

Actually, there are potentially four votes against annexation. Jack Block Jr. and Lucy voted against the proposal.. If Bob Edgar and I get elected and vote against annexation that makes four. Right now the boundary review board is awaiting the file from Burien. They expect it tomorrow. The board believes a public hearing will be scheduled for sometime in November. It then takes time to initiate a vote process for the area Y residents. At any time during that lengthy process a new council may overturn the decision. At this time however, it is important for present Burien residents to stay informed about the public hearing on the matter since this is the best venue to voice your opinion.

• Chris says:

Ah, good point about the lengthy process of annexation. Even after the BRB hearing–the council can decide to not move forward. AND, even IF there was a vote and it was voted in the affirmative–the council could delay or decide NOT to annex.

My point is that there are still several outs for the city to take when it comes to annexation.

Further, all the moaning and groaning about how the city is “fast-tracking” annexation and “forcing” this upon us is nonsense. People, the issue of annexation–and the implications of state/county growth management planning policies–has been going on for almost a DECADE!!!!!!

Yes, some of you haven’t been following along this entire time. I get that. And yes, I understand that the annexation of the WC core is a sensitive and VERY important issue. I’m not sure if it is the right time to proceed with an additional annexation. But PLEASE stop arguing that anything is being fast-tracked, rammed-through, blah, blah, blah. This entire saga has been going on for quite awhile now.

Cities are statutorily required to address their citywide planning policies and include things like potential annexation areas in their plan. Also, the statewide and King County planning policies discuss the need for cities to annex certain areas, because they are better served by cities. Both Seattle and Burien did this when they designated portions of the north highline area as PAA (Potential Annexation Areas). Are there cases to be made for Burien (or Seattle) to annex the remaining NH unincorporated area? Yes–of course. Burien has a vested interest in how the area north of their boundary is zoned and planned for. King County most likely will not pour tons of money into this area. King County is NOT in the business of providing municiple services. Cities–like Seattle and Burien–are better suited to handle this area.

Is Burien in a good position to annex more area? That is up for argument (obviously). The issue of annexation is complex and trascends many other aspects of citywide planning. This particular issue has been studied extensively by Seattle, Burien, King County and the North Highline Unincorporated Council, as well as the many special purpose districts.

Citizens need to carefully study the issue and consider ALL of the implications of annexing/not annexing. Unfortunately, it seems quite a few simply jump to conclusions and give the impression that there is some sort of conspiracy going on. Also, like I have mentioned before, I think much of the negativity and unwillingness to consider annexation had nothing to do with facts (whether pro or con), but has everything to do with the social stigma of the WC area, as well as a seemingly “Nimbyism” attitude.

• William Forest says:

Leaving all the other negatives of annexing white center aside.. to address you point of social stigma .. Negative social stigma has a negative affect on property values.

10. Bobby Leon says:

Jack Block Jr. has said many times that he favors annexation. The only reason he voted no right now is he thought it was a too quick. When the rubber meets the road, Jack will support annexation. Look at the comments he has made at Burien City Council meetings and you will se he is pro annexation.

• William Forest says:

Bobby.. I have personally spoken to Mr Block and at this time Jack is taking a go slow approach… So if you are counting on him voting for annexation.. You are counting your chickens before they are hatched.

11. elizabeth2 says:

I am not sure that anyone but Jack Block should speak so conclusively in regards to that. He has said that given a huge list of pre-conditions, he would look favorably on annexation. Those pre-conditions are pretty massive.

“Councilmember Jack Block Jr. said he believes it’s too soon to move forward, “there are too many questions on the table.” He voiced concerns about the eight-digit backlog of capital projects in the North Highline area, and he feels it’s . “My first and foremost duty is to the present citizens of Burien.” He said “I would love to see (North Highline) be part of Burien,” eventually.

Further, “when we questioned Councilman Jack Block, Jr. about what the possibility of the annexation, he stated:

“If we do move forward with the annexation, it should be done in a way that brings the community together.”

I look forward to seeing how that would happen!