Some Recent B-Town Crime Reports & Tips To Keep Your Home Safer

Several BTB Readers have been contacting us recently with their own personal crime reports, ranging from break-ins to prowlings to apparent drive by shootings and more.

Here are two recent reports:

BTB Reader Nicole Garnett sent in this report, along with these two pics:

“Last night (Saturday, Jan. 7) between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. my little brother and I were home alone and heard a crack.

We didn’t think anything of it but this morning when the sun was shining on the window we noticed a crack in the outer pane of it, and this bullet stuck inside.

We later found out that two other houses on my side of the street (164th in Burien) also got their windows shot at.

One of my neighbors has a security camera at his house and saw a white car with a very loud engine drive by and the passenger was shooting.

These three cases have already been reported to the police, but if anyone knows anything please report it to the police so we can catch these people!”

And Nancy Moore reports that her home in Three Tree Point was burglarized on Christmas night (Dec. 25):

“The front door was kicked in, with the door frame damaged…then our house was ransacked and the usual small stuff carted away for cash or drugs (laptops, jewelry, watches, etc.).

I suggest that when residents see any ‘suspicious types’ lurking around the neighborhood that they call 911 immediately.”

On at least one local neighborhood group forum, residents have also been alerting their neighbors about door-to-door salespeople canvassing neighborhoods. Here’s some info we gleaned from one discussion:

• Door-to-door sales are illegal in Burien. But if someone comes to your door “selling” something, they should have a visible ID.
  • Police encourage residents who are wary of solicitors to not open their doors, get a good description of them (and car, including license plate numbers), then to call 911 (not the non-emergency number) if there is any suspicion.
  • Oftentimes burglars will approach a home, knock on the front door, then if nobody answers, break in through a back door or window. They’ll even case entire neighborhoods and check multiple times over several days so they can steal more.
  • As Nancy Moore pointed out, a strong door frame can prevent someone from kicking in your door.

We reached out to Burien Police Chief Scott Kimerer, as well as Sgt. Henry McLauchlan, but neither responded to our query.

Here’s an interactive crime map, which can also be found on our Crime page:

Vigilance, caution and watching out for your neighbors is a good strategy to help reduce crime.

And remember – you can also report crime online to the King County Sheriff’s Office here.

If you have any recent crime news, please email us – we believe that sharing information can be helpful to other B-Town residents.

Comments

18 Responses to “Some Recent B-Town Crime Reports & Tips To Keep Your Home Safer”
  1. Christine says:

We live in the Three Tree Point neighborhood too and just discovered our new neighbor is a registered violent sex offender. I want to get a home alarm but Burien will not respond to alarm notifications unless they are verified by a private security company first. Homeowners here are actually fined if they install alarms not backed up by private security response! Our community is one of a very small number that has this restriction and it makes security systems basically useless. Why can’t we get fined for false/nuisance alarms like most communities rather than simply being prevented from using ths crime prevention tool? I don’t feel safe here anymore and am upset that I can’t even get a home alarm!

This website shows the alarm ordinances and we are getting cheated in my opinion.

2. Christine says:

This is a more direct link to the specific ordinances by community and shows how unusual Burien’s restrictions on home alarms are: http://www.waesa.org/pdfs/2011-05AlarmOrdinanceSummary.pdf

• Christine says:

We are one of only three communities listed where police do not respond to home alarms…and are we are actually fined if our alarm goes off and we haven’t paid someone else to come respond.

3. Loki says:

Some advice re home burglaries.

The best ways to combat home burglaries is by attacking the mind of the criminal. Burglars prefer easy targets, because they offer the least resistance, a potential bigger payoff and less chance of getting caught. So what can you do? You’ve got to attack the mind. It has been said that it is a game of psychology. The majority of those who would break in to your home don’t want a confrontation. As said above, sometimes people go door to door driving a legit looking vehicle. Perhaps they are wearing the uniform of a contractor (phone service, HVAC, you name it). They are collecting information. You open your door and they see what’s beyond, they see what’s there. They take notes, they rate it based on your age, based on your furnishings (if they can see them). etc.

You’ve got to make them not want to consider your house as a potential hit for any number of reasons (all criminals are different so a wide approach is best). It could be as simple as leaving a dog dish on your porch, a BIG one. You might not even own a dog, but a drive by survey tells them there could be a dog. Too risky, they’ll move along.

Cast doubt in their minds. Are you really home? It could be so simple as a small taped note where you can’t see it if you are driving by but for those daring enough to come to the front or back door. One person put a note on their back door “Dear Joe Gardener, please don’t come in this way, my venomous snake got out and I haven’t found him yet” or “my dog might have rabies and I have been giving him shots but he might attack. Please call me.” Cast doubt, that’s your whole job.

Most of them will see these little things that cast a doubt in their mind and they will think “there is an easier house to rob, with less risk” and move on. That’s what you want, that’s your goal. That is the art of fighting without fighting.

For the few percent who don’t care about a confrontation, keep things like simple $5 foghorns in various rooms. If your house is broken into while you are there, go into a room, lock it, call the police and open a window and blow the fog horn. Talk to your neighbors beforehand and establish that a fog horn means trouble. Get your neighbors involved. Those foghorns are loud. A criminal that knows someone is there and blowing that loud horn might decide to split just because they now know that everyone in a 3 block radius just heard it. All eyes are on the house.

There’s a ton of ways to deter people before they enter your home. And then there are ways to deter the 3-5% of people who will enter despite knowing you are there. I’ve only hit the tip of the iceberg here but I hope it helps. Last note; alarm systems are great but those only work AFTER a window or door has been busted. What I am talking about above is something that, if done right, works 95% of the time BEFORE any damage to your property occurs.

• Christine says:

My poor dog used to go everywhere with me but now he earns his kibble watching the house when I am not home. 🙁

• Coverofnight says:

Thanks Loki; great information.

• Feral Dog says:

Attack the mind all right , with a 9mm right through their [email protected] forehead.

4. Christine says:

There is a reason why insurance companies give discounts to homeowners with home alarms…they are a deterrent. I want my police department to participate in helping me protect my home and family…period. If enough homeowners pushed, this ordinance against them would have to change.

5. Rainycity says:

I had a guy call me once trying to pressure me into buying a home alarm system,
    I told him tell you what, here`s my address.if you can get into my house and OUT. I`ll buy your security system. If you don`t make it out, no problem, I`ll scrape what`s left of you off the floor when I get home. You can come whenever you like.

• Christine says:

I am fairly certain I would be more likely to accidentally shoot my dog or husband out of fear than use a gun well for protection. That is why I pay taxes to have a police department to protect us and our home. It is clear we are on our own though. I never dreamed I would live spitting distance from a registered violent sex offender in this neighborhood….guess he needed a nice water view after prison..

• John says:

Like I said to you before Rainy, a man would be an absolute fool to try
      and break into your house. I like where you say you`ll scrape up the pieces.
      I don`t think there would be any pieces left to scrape up personally.
      I `m just glad you`re my friend and not my enemy.

6. Karl says:

When you need help in seconds, the police are only minutes away!

7. Greg Duff says:

One of the best ways to combat crime is to be smarter than the crooks. We have a very good block watch program on my street and it works. Neighbors have each others backs and watch for strangers on our streets. We write down license plates of vehicles that are stopped where they should not be. One lady last week took a picture of a license plate with her cell phone and when the person in the car asked “What are you doing?” she simply said “Block Watch” and walked back in her house. Everybody on our street has each others phone numbers and emails so we can contact each other quickly. Contact Sgt. McLaughlin at the Burien precinct and he will be very helpful in setting up a program in your neighborhood.

8. anthony says:

I would say that if you are home during hours of the day that every hour check outside just to be safe and at night time as well. Kinda like first watch type of lookout I mean only if your up or have time ofcourse. We just had our buissiness window broken by somebody shooting a bb gun at salva-mex. If we are watching more maybe we could prevent more.