A Note About Our Recent Server Problems
As many of our Readers may have noticed, The B-Town Blog has been having some rather serious server problems over the last few days, causing our website to be down for long periods of time, or not loading properly or just being a major pain in the you-know-what.
Please note that we are fully aware of all these issues, and have been since they began, but that we really appreciate all the emails, phone calls and Facebook comments – and despite the overall negativity of these issues, it makes us even more aware that many of you really do rely on us for your local news!
In a nutshell, here’s what has been going on:
- Our Server Company, Dreamhost, has had some major hardware problems this week.
- They’re located in a different state, and they purposely don’t provide a phone number to their tech department, which means that if something goes wrong, we have to submit a “ticket” through their Support Page (and believe us – we have submitted many tickets this week!).
- Once a “ticket” is submitted, there is often no acknowledgement of receipt, so a Customer doesn’t know if anyone has even read it, let alone is taking any action to fix things.
- We are not the only ones who have suffered at the hands of Dreamhost’s problems this week (there are nearly 1.400 Comments on this status update page: http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2012/03/23/connectivity-issues-with-one-of-our-datacenters/).
- Unfortunately, Dreamhost almost always blames the Customer for any problems on their Servers. We have been scolded repeatedly via email for all the wrong plug-ins we have, even though we have followed most of their advice before. Oddly, outages will happen randomly, we’ll submit a ticket, it will be fixed and we’ll get an email telling us that WE are to blame for any problems. We call this BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE.
- Dreamhost has been having WAY too many outages as of late, and this one was “the last straw” for us, so to speak, so we will be migrating over to a new provider as soon as we can; however, this may take up to a month or so.
- Because of this outage, we have not been able to update the site like we normally do. Once things are stable again, we’ll try to catch up!