B-TOWN BIZ: Longtime Burien Business Herr Backyard Center Closing June 15

Longtime Burien business Herr Backyard Center announced that they will be closing June 15 (NOTE: closing date changed from June 1 after an employee contacted us) after being in their historic Five Corners location at 107 SW 160th for numerous years.

The good folks at Herr had been Advertisers with us in the past, and we’re sad to hear of the store’s closing (we were frequent customers and always bought our holiday trees there!).

Their website appears to be down, and we had heard rumors about the impending closing due to Dianne’s retirement, as well as failed attempts to find a new business partner.

On Tuesday (April 24), we found this post on Craigslist:

Herr backyard garden center is getting ready to close in June. we have a lot of racking and display items for sale:

100s of pegboard hooks from $.10-$.50 each
steel industrial racking
steel rollers
a Christmas tree netting machine
two steel tree carts
an assortment of both wooden and steel displays

we are located on 107 sw 160th street and are open from 10-5 wednesdays to sundays. bring all inquires to the front counter and we will be happy to negotiate a price from there.

We’ve got word out to Owners Dianne and Lisa, and will update this post when we hear back from them.

Comments

11 Responses to “B-TOWN BIZ: Longtime Burien Business Herr Backyard Center Closing June 15”
  1. eric says:

I am one of their employees and just wanted to clarify the actual closing date is june 15. Diane is retiring and they were unable to find a new business partner to take over. unfortunately the combination of the economy and diane’s leaving were enough reason to close down. as of yet there is no plan for the building and the surrounding property

2. JJ Greive says:

Sorry to see the Herr name will no longer be on a local business. I know several members of that family and remember drinking coffee in the “contractors office” when they were on Harbor Avenue. Rick always took great care of us.

good luck to everyone

3. Sherrie says:

I am saddened that the garden store is closing down. Is it safe to assume this closure does not effect the antique store in the same building? Having both businesses closed might be too much for me to handle.

• eric says:

The antique store will still be there and will possibly expand into part of the garden center. It will take some getting used to not working there after the 5 years I spent there.

4. Mindy Maxwell says:

This is so sad. I enjoy shopping at Herrs. The plants are beautiful. I get my Christmas trees here. My son calls it “the farm.”

5. nikki says:

What a great loss to Burien’s business community. I wish much happiness to the owner in her retirement. I will remain hopeful that it isn’t replaced with any kind of chain store.

6. TcB says:

Maybe it’s time to “Tin Room” the barn!

7. Rob says:

I am just sad that there will no longer be a genuine Nursery for plants in Burien. Ace and Freddies do the best they can, but we need a true nursery! Good luck Dianne and Lisa!

8. Bonnie says:

I am so very sad to hear of Herr’s closing! We loved going there and purchased many of our little trees and plants there. First Lavina May’s and now Herr’s. So very sad!