Burien Liquor Store Rights Sold to Canadian Businessman for $340,100
The Washington State Liquor Control Board has auctioned the rights to apply for a spirits retail liquor license at 167 state-run liquor stores statewide, including five in South King County, with the Burien store selling for $340,100 to a Canadian businessman named Gurvinder Singh.
The state total of individual bids was $30.75 million, with rights awarded to 121 individual successful bidders. The online auction ended in a flurry of bidding on its final day, April 20.
The Burien store generated gross sales of $8,087,238 during fiscal year 2011.
“Business Enterprise Director Pat McLaughlin and his team executed this highly successful and historic feat in the midst of so many other pressing activities related to the transition to private liquor sales,” said Liquor Board Chair Sharon Foster. “I am proud to be part of such a capable and professional organization.”
Initiative 1183, approved by 60 percent of voters ordered the board to auction the state store properties at their current location. However, the state leases the properties, not owns, so winning bidders will have to negotiate with property owners for store leases.
“Successful bidders earned the exclusive right to apply for a liquor license at the current location within its current footprint,” the board said. “All state store properties are below the 10,000 square foot threshold established by the initiative.”
Local area stores and the winning bids:
- Burien store No. 157, 15858 First Avenue South, sold for $340,100 to Gurvinder Singh, Surrey, B.C. Fiscal Year 2011 gross sales $8,087,238.
- Des Moines store No. 170, 27067 Pacific Highway South, sold for $120,100 to Payara Singh. Fiscal Year 2011 gross sales $2,988,051.
- SeaTac store No. 109, 18613 International Blvd., sold for $340,100 to Sunny Raj. Fiscal Year 2011 gross sales unreported by Liquor Control Board.
- White Center store No. 53, 9822 15th Ave. SW, sold for $130,100 to Kulwinder S. Pabla. Fiscal Year 2011 gross sales $3,528,142.
- Tukwila store No. 86, 14227 International Blvd., sold for $110,100 to Hailom Ghebreab. Fiscal Year 2011 gross sales $4,402,131.