Highline Scholar-Athletes Receive Scholarships in New Recognition Program
Sixteen high school seniors received college scholarships this week as part of the Highline School District’s new recognition program for student athletes.
Two boys and two girls from each of the district’s four main high school campuses were awarded $500 or more.
The award recognizes outstanding multi-sport athletes who have shown exemplary efforts on the field, in the classroom, and in the community.
Coaches and community members who support the district’s athletic programs were also honored at the inaugural Scholar-Athlete, Coach, and Community Awards event, emceed by the “Voice of the Huskies,” Bob Rondeau.
Highline’s Director of Athletics, Terri McMahan, initiated the program this year in partnership with the Highline Schools Foundation.
“The opportunity to partner with others and provide scholarship dollars is tremendous,” says McMahan. “Assisting our students with post-secondary academic goals and showing them the example of giving back to one’s community is a powerful lesson.”
A similar program established by McMahan when she was Director of Athletics in Edmonds School District has generated $300,000 in scholarships.
Prominent alumni from each of the four high school campuses serve as sponsors of the program—among them Jack Thompson, Evergreen High School Class of 1974, who went on to play quarterback at Washington State University and in the NFL.
Here are the 2012 Scholar-Athlete Scholarship Winners
- Evergreen Campus: Michelle Chen, Maria Prieto, Riley Kobak, Darrin Sun
- Highline High School: Jennalee Gould, Michelle Stoltz, Rob Rink, Paul Toala
- Mount Rainier High School: Alexis Gregerson, Chelsie Still, Kris King, Omar Delgado
- Tyee Educational Complex: Araceli Esparza, Arinesha Smith, Derek Ingraham, Moises Torres
Contributions to the program can be made through the Highline Schools Foundation:
- Donate online at www.highlineschoolsfoundation.org
- Donate by credit card. Call (206) 248-5196.
- Donate by check payable to Highline Schools Foundation, 15675 Ambaum Blvd SW, Burien, WA 98166
Here are pics from the event as shot by Photography by Steven: