Burien Little Theatre Holding Auditions for ‘Anna in the Tropics’ on June 16
Our friends at Burien Little Theatre want our Readers to know that they will be holding auditions on Saturday, June 16, for “Anna in the Tropics,” a joint production they’re doing with Latino Theatre Projects.
Auditions will be held at Theatre Puget Sound in the Seattle Center on Saturday, June 16 from Noon to 5 p.m. Callbacks will be at Burien Little Theatre on Tuesday, June 19 from 7 to 10 p.m.
Producers are seeking actors to portray male characters from their 30s through 50s and female characters from their 20s through 50s. Actors of all ethnicities are encouraged to audition.
The Pulitzer Prize-winning play was written by Nilo Cruz.
Here’s the synopsis:
Anna in the Tropics is a poignant and poetic play set in Florida in 1929 in a Cuban–American cigar factory, where cigars are still rolled by hand and “lectors” are employed to educate and entertain the workers. The arrival of a new lector is a cause for celebration, but when he begins to read aloud from Anna Karenina, he unwittingly becomes a catalyst in the lives of his avid listeners, for whom Tolstoy, the tropics and the American dream prove a volatile combination. Winner of the 2003 Pulitzer Prize.
Here are more details:
- Performances will be held at Burien Little Theatre from Aug. 3 through Aug. 26, 2012.
- Rehearsals begin at the end of June.
- Auditions are at Theatre Puget Sound in the Seattle Center on Saturday, June 16 from Noon to 5 p.m. Callbacks are at Burien Little Theatre on Tuesday, June 19 from 7 to 10 p.m.
- Stage director Roy Arauz.
- $100 stipend provided.
- Please prepare two contrasting short contemporary monologues (serious/comedy) totaling 3 minutes maximum. If possible, one of the monologues will be from a script that has a Latin influence. Bring resume and headshot. Callbacks will consist of cold readings from the script.
- Please make an audition appointment: [email protected], or call 206-242-5180.
Character Descriptions (note: The role of CHECHE is already cast):
- SANTIAGO, owner of a cigar factory, 50s to 60s
- CHECHÉ, Santiago’s half-brother, 40s
- OFELIA, Santiago’s wife, 50s
- MARELA, Ofelia and Santiago’s youngest daughter, early 20s
- CONCHITA, Ofelia and Santiago’s eldest daughter, 30s
- PALOMO, Conchita’s husband, 40s
- JUAN JULIAN, the lector, 30s
- ELIADES, local gamester, runs cockfights, over 40