Burien Little Theatre Holding Auditons for All-Female ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’
Our friends at Burien Little Theatre want our Readers to know that they’ll be holding auditions for an all-female version of the rock opera “Jesus Christ Superstar” on Monday, June 25 and Tuesday, June 26 from 7 to 10 p.m.
Callbacks will be on Wednesday, June 27 from 7 to 10 p.m
Written by Andrew Lloyd Webber with lyrics by Tim Rice, BLT reminds auditioneers that this will be an ALL FEMALE production (sorry guys).
Characters range in age from mid-20s through mid-50s.
“Jesus Christ Superstar” is the controversial rock opera that traces the final days in the life of Jesus Christ — his arrival in Jerusalem, his betrayal, Passion and crucifixion — as well as his relationships with Judas Iscariot and Mary Magdalene.
The show features the hits “I Don’t Know How to Love Him,” “What’s the Buzz” and the title song “Jesus Christ Superstar.”
- Performances will be at Burien Little Theatre from Feb. 15 through March 24, 2013.
- Rehearsals begin in late December, though may start earlier depending on schedules.
- Specific date will be determined later, with time off for the Christmas and New Year holidays.
- Auditions are Monday, June 25 and Tuesday, Jun 26 from 7 to 10 p.m. Callbacks are Wednesday, Jun 27 from 7 to 10 p.m.
- The stage director is Steve Cooper.
- $100 stipend provided.
- Please prepare two short contrasting songs (serious/comedy, ballad/patter), preferably one rock and roll number (hard rock optimal) and one number that highlights your vocal range. Be prepared to tell the story in the songs you sing – remember, this is a rock opera! Bring with you the written music (in your key), as well as your resume and headshot. Be prepared; song choices weigh heavily in casting decisions. A capella is discouraged.
- Please make audition appointment: [email protected], 206-242-5180. Auditions and callbacks will be held at Burien Little Theatre in the Annex to the Burien Community Center, 14501 4th Ave. S.W., Burien, WA 98166 (intersection of 4th Ave. S.W. and S.W. 146th St.). For directions, go to www.burienlittletheatre.org.
Note: Vocal ranges below reflect the casting with males in the parts. We’ll try to adhere as closely as possible to this, but we realize that some changes will be necessary.
- Jesus Christ
Leader of the apostles, a man, called the “Son of God” and the “King of the Jews” as well as “only a man.”
Tenor falsetto to a G6.
Arguably the protagonist of the show.
Apostle of Jesus; concerned for the poor and the consequences of Jesus’ fame.
High Rock Tenor. Must be able to hit High D5 in chest or good mixed.
- Mary Magdalene
A female follower of Jesus.
Mezzo-Soprano. C5 in chest voice.
- Pontius Pilate
Governor of Judea, who foresees the events of Jesus’ crucifixion in a dream.
High Baritone or Tenor with good lower register.
High priest who sees Jesus as a threat to the nation.
Bass. Must have extremely low notes.
Fellow priest of Caiaphus who is persuaded by him into seeing Jesus as a threat.
Apostle; denies Jesus three times upon the night of Jesus’ arrest to save himself.
Tenor or High Baritone. Must chest a G5 comfortably.
- Simon Zealots
Apostle; urges Jesus to lead his followers into battle against the Romans.
Tenor. Must chest an A5 comfortably.
- King Herod
King of Galilee; Jesus is brought to him for judgment after being taken to Pilate.
Tenor or High Baritone. (This may be done in a character voice.)
- Other characters will consist of the rest of Jesus’ disciples, priests, The People, lepers, etc.
- There will be a need for four strong dancers.
- Chorus will sing “What’s the Buzz?,” “Strange Thing Mystifying,” “Hosanna,” “The Last Supper,” “The Arrest” and others.
- The goal is for a cast of 20.