City Seeking Volunteers to Prepare Pro & Con Statements on Annexation

The City of Burien announced Thursday (June 14) that it’s seeking Volunteers to draft Pro and Con statements on its proposed annexation of North Highline that will be included in the King County Local Voters’ Pamphlet.

At its April 2 meeting, the Burien City Council adopted Resolution No. 330, placing Proposition 1 on the November 6, 2012, General Election ballot. Proposition 1 is the North Highline Area “Y” Annexation Area proposed annexation to the City of Burien.

This proposition seeks voter approval of the annexation into the City of Burien of an area commonly known as the North Highline Area “Y” Annexation Area. The area consists of approximately 2,045 acres and 17,392 residents. The area is generally described as lying north of the corporate boundaries of the City of Burien, south and east of the corporate boundaries of the City of Seattle, and west of SR-99 adjacent to the City of Tukwila and the City of Tukwila corporate boundaries. The area is legally described in Resolution No. 330.

Each committee’s statement must be no more than 200 words in length and must be submitted to King County Elections no later than 4:30 pm on August 15, 2012. Any rebuttal statements are due by August 17, 2012. There is a limit of three members per committee, but committees may seek advice of any person or persons.

Committee member appointments will be made during the open public meeting of the Burien City Council on July 16, 2012, sometime after 7:00 pm. Candidates need not be present to be appointed.

Persons interested in applying for one of the committee positions should submit their name, contact information, and a brief statement as to why they would like to serve on one of the committees.

Submittals are due no later than Friday, July 6, 2012, at 4 p.m. to:

Monica Lusk, City Clerk
Burien City Hall
400 SW 152nd Street, Ste. 300
Burien, 98166

Or call (206) 248-5517, or email [email protected].

Comments

9 Responses to “City Seeking Volunteers to Prepare Pro & Con Statements on Annexation”
  1. Debi Wagner says:

I signed up over a month ago. At that time no one else had signed up either for the pro or con statement.

• mike says:

So I guess your in? Or do they really mean pro only?

• Debi Wagner says:

That’s what I’m afraid of so a friend thought it might be a good idea to go on record publicly. Now I noted they asked for a brief sentence saying why you would like to be on a “committee” for either so I now reapplied including that sentence just to be sure I’ve corssed all the i’s and dotted the t’s. If it’s kooky and never happened before it’ll happen to me.

• Doug J. says:

Debi They always ask for a brief sentence why you would like to be on the committee and they always ask for pro and con. Just because a person is the first to submit their request does not mean they will automatically be on the committee.
          If you are not selected, it just means they thought someone else was better qualified to do the job. Let’s not make this some conspiracy if you do not get selected like you did when you did not get picked as a finalist to replace Kathy Keene on the City Council You wrote to the blog (or was it the Highine Times) saying you were a better candidate than those that were selected. It made you look a little arogant and petty.

• Debi Wagner says:

Doug J: The city didn’t ask me for a sentence when I applied. I believe the city would prefer I not write the con statement. The city chose Jerry Robison for the position because he is a north highline plant who can best help them complete their task of annexing area Y. I didn’t know that when I applied and questioned the process because I had a wonderful letter from Arun who has never recommended anyone in the past. You are wrong about my letter and if that’s all you’ve got you’re sure trying hard to twist it and play it for all it’s worth to discredit me. Your personal attack sounds the same as what Chris, Dr. McDreamy and J Lutz use.. Since you are a new name on the blog in this debate I assume you are that same person using yet another name. I also remember who was present that laughed at the trees comment. NHUAC members, Dobkin, Giba, candidates Duff, Joey and Shaw. Which one are you?

• Joey Martinez says:

Mrs Wagner, I don’t recall laughing but if I did I do apologize.

Joey Martinez

• elizabeth2 says:

Doug – I am afraid it is NOT Debi who looks petty for she made no such comments about conspiracy in her comments above! If the shoe fits (and, yes, that means you), wear it, Mr. Petty.

2. Doug J. says:

Ms. Wagner First off, I don’t know what you are talking about when you say people laughed at you about the “tree comment”. It sounds interesting, why don’t you tell me what you are talking about. I have watched this blog for a long time and I have watched your comments. Your reference about being recommended by Arun does not mean much to me. I have looked at most of the candidates and they were all recommended by some organization. The difference is you were the only person I saw who came out and said you were the better candidate and should have been selected. You claim Jerry Robison was a “plant”. l think the council knew they were dealing with the annexation issues with area X and Y and what better person to have on the board then and attorney who is familiar with Real Estate Law. Instead of calling him a “plant” why don’t you look at the facts. I would have voted for you in the election but your comments strike me as being very arrogant and self centered. I do not mean this as a personal attack but I am just voicing how I feel.

3. Ghost of Maewild says:

Don’t feed the troll. Debbie, as a long time citizen of Burien I wish to thank you for all you do and say.