B-TOWN BIZ: Saar’s Marketplace is Closing

The Saar’s Marketplace grocery store, located at 14905 4th Ave SW in Burien, is closing.

Numerous signs have been posted, many extolling special “Store Closing” discounts.

Known for their low-prices and large collection of ethnic and Mexican food, Saars has been in the former QFC location in the Redwood Center mall near Staples, Bartell’s and Burger King for at least four years.

When asked what the closing date for the store was, a young male employee shrugged and said “not that soon – look how much stuff we have left to sell!”

We have reached out to the management, and when we get more information about why this store is closing, we’ll do an updated post. In the meantime, get in there to get some deals, or head south north to the old Albertson’s on 16th SW in White Center, which is now a Saar’s Super Saver Foods.

Comments

29 Responses to “B-TOWN BIZ: Saar’s Marketplace is Closing”
  1. john says:

This really sucks. We use this store probably on an every other day basis. So that leaves safeway and albertsons in this area. Not a good comparison.

2. Lee Moyer says:

It’s a bummer. Their variety actually made grocery shopping fun. It was our regular store, but the new location in White Center is close enough. It is a loss for down town Burien though,

3. Verde says:

Lame. We lost Bernie’s, and now this. I’ll have to check out the White Center store, but I’m getting tired of losing choices in my neighborhood. This is one of the only reasonable stores left out there.

4. Lisa says:

That’s too bad. I will miss the ethnic food selection, especially the pickled plums. 🙁

• Shari says:

Yes, that’s why I’d love to see a Uwajimaya there. Or a McLendon’s (sorry, Ace, but I’m in love with McLendon’s). Or a Furneys. Or even a Trader Joe’s that isn’t so squished and cramped.

5. Ghost of Maewild says:

Darn. They had a great price on firewood. Going to miss the hotdog lady too.

6. Gill says:

“head south to the old Albertson’s on 16th SW in White Center” I’d suggest try heading NORTH instead.

7. Fireworks ban lover says:

Okay, City Council and “Discover Burien” gurus, entice QFC to come back, reducing my trek to Manhattan…..

• William Forest says:

I don’t think Mike Martin has any money to help with this.. He has to come up with 10 million to send to Area Y for Capitol Improvement Projects and without increasing taxes we don’t have the money. Not to mention that needing more police is a priority we apparently don’t have any money for either. So unfortunately financial incentives to fill the Saar’s space are way down on the budgetary list.

However if we could entice a higher end health conscious food store like PCC to come in, I am in total support of any tax incentives we can give them. The type of clientele that they attract is very likely to increase the sale of the surrounding business’s which is something the visionaries at city council are probably oblivious to.

8. Movie Lover says:

Well that is too bad, but isn’t this where the new multi movieplex will be located?????

9. Kevin says:

This is frustrating, we shop here almost every week. White Center is just a much longer drive since I live South of Burien to begin with…

10. April says:

Winco! Winco! Winco! Winco!!! Come on man! give us a Winco!

11. bh says:

at times saars did have some good sales, same as (tukwilla trading, grocery outlet and safeway) but,, the regular prices are alot higher then fred meyers!! name brands down every aisle and no expired foods being passed off at fred’s. do some “comparison shopping” if you really do want to save on cost of food. great to get rewards back from freds. i will miss the hot dog lady for sure.

12. jojo says:

This really shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. Take a look at the City of Burien’s Retail Opportunity Gap Analysis here: http://www.burienwa.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1725.

We have a surplus of grocery stores.

HOWEVER, what the city lacks is specialty food retail. Why PCC or Metropolitan Market or even Whole Foods hasn’t spotted the market here, I don’t understand. I know plenty of my neighbors are looking for good source of organic foods and have to resort to driving out of town to get it. Trader Joe’s comes close, but doesn’t always cut it.

• Wulfie says:

I heard rumors that PCC may be looking at moving in there.

• Allison says:

OOOH a PCC or whole foods would be amazing!!

• Shari says:

I would love to have either of these stores in Burien. But can Burien and surrounding communities give them enough steady business to stay open?

13. mark ptizner says:

he reason when i asked was problem with the renewing of the lease, i inquired today when shopping there.

14. William Forest says:

Lets just hope its not a super saver foods like the one they put into white center to replace the Albertson’s that closed there.

• mike says:

No savings there. Just phoney sales that are more expensive than Safeway and Al’s regulars prices. They do make great “SALE” signs though. hehehe

15. jean says:

they didn’t close, they just moved to white center, check out were Albertsons used to be.

16. Rob says:

I too, will miss the hot dog stand. Just can’t get a good hot dog in Burien.

17. Ratman says:

Im going to miss the smell of rancid meat and rats running arounr the meet department.

18. Jessica says:

I say good riddance. I have always loathed that store and their almost expired foods. Except for the weekly deals most of their items cost more than Fred Meyer. Not to mention most of the deals were only good if you bought 10 pounds of just about to spoil foods. The other adult in my household was always pro SAARS so now that they are closing I don’t ever have to go back, yay me.

It will leave another large empty retail space in Burien though. Hopefully someone with a little more to offer the city will move in soon.

19. Toni says:

I would like to see a large fabric store. Since West Seattle lost Hancock there has been a void in this area. I heard that a gym was going to move in this space, which is just what we don’t need. I think it should be restricted to retail, not a private gym that is closed to the public. What a waste of a great location.

20. BaldGuy says:

What would be nice is if the site were re-developed into a Kohl’s Department Store. I know there is on near Southcenter. But I think it is far enough away to survive. I think that a Burien location would also attract shoppers from White Center and West Seattle. Besides Lamont’s survived 2.5 decades with stores at both Westwood Village and Burien. So why not Kohl’s near Southcenter and Burien?

• Marlene Allbright says:

I heard a rumor that LA Fitness was moving into the building.

• Toni says:

Yes, I heard that some fitness business was going to move it too. Please say it isn’t true as we need retail that’s useful to the public, not another private fitness club!