LETTER: ‘I’m Bothered by One of the Participants in Yesterday’s Parade’

Click image to see larger version. Photo by Michael Brunk.

Dear Editor,

I’m bothered about one of the participants in yesterday’s parade, Dave Christie, a “Larouche Democrat.” He and his contingent carried a very large “IMPEACH OBAMA” sign. I believe that no matter where you are politically, to advertise such a sentiment toward our current President in a community celebration of our country is completely inappropriate.

Worse, my four-year old was handed a pamphlet by this group, which contained the infamous and ridiculously offensive picture of Obama with the Hitler-stache that the LaRouchies love so much. While I was busy being angry about the large sign, my son handed me the pamphlet, opened to that picture, and said “look, Mom!” He is well aware of who our President is and was amused and confused by it. I said “I’ll take that, those people are yucky.” Infuriating.

Just wanted to share my thoughts; I guess others would argue it’s a matter of free speech, something I am also grateful for.

– Laurel Humphrey

[Have an opinion or concernt you’d like to share with our 50,000+ Readers? Please send us your Letter to the Editor via email. Include your full name, and, pending our review, we’ll most likely publish it.]

Comments

18 Responses to “LETTER: ‘I’m Bothered by One of the Participants in Yesterday’s Parade’”
  1. Sherrie says:

It was a wonderful opportunity to support the president and talk to your son about free speech, and that everyone is entitiled to an opinion, any often that opinion will be different than yours. It’s unfortunate that people with a different opinion are labled as yucky in your world. I dont agree with thier values, either.

2. Robin Judd says:

I agree with Laurel Humphrey. I believe we can profess our opinions, but we should not be disrespecting our current president in our community parade.

3. Laurel says:

It’s not the different opinion that warranted the “yucky” comment, it was the handing children propaganda (or, “promotional material” depending on the view!)

• Lisa B. says:

Exactly! They are totally lame for handing stuff like that out to kids and not the parents. And I don’t like it when that group gets all pushy and aggressive on me when I’m just trying to take care of business at the post office too. The way some of those people act IS yucky.

4. Sara says:

I attended the parade as well and was also shocked to see this group in the mix. I felt it was highly innapporpriate for this group to be a part of the parade yesterday. I understand that everyone is entitled to have their opinions and share them – I just don’t feel that yesterday’s community parade was the time nor the place to share their opinion. I know that it brought an instant negative vibe to myself as well as the others I was with.

5. Hotrodgal says:

I believe in freedom of speach but the entry was so tasteless I’m still stunned…especially around all the kids. I can’t imagine having so much
    hate in one’s heart as to be bent on ruining a day of patriotic
    celebration for everyone.

For shame.

6. Bree Davidson says:

I’m glad to see this letter. I felt a similar discomfort, but didn’t want to make a big deal about it in front of my 8 and 2-year old kids. I just waited to make eye contact, then gave the guy a thumbs down. He smiled back and gave me a thumbs up. While it’s not an amazing example of productive discourse, it’s an example of silent civility, right?

My family benefits immensely from the work of civil rights activists and first amendment proponents, so I don’t want to censor those who choose to express an unpopular opinion. But… I wish that everyone could just agree that it’s not okay to liken anyone to Hitler. Not President Obama OR President George W Bush.

I would rather live in a society that lets the ‘benign’ nut jobs march in parades than one that limits free speech AND I wish those LaRouchies would shut the eff up.

• Shari says:

I like what Bree wrote and what Eric wrote so I’m jumping in between them. The LaRouche crowd actually disgusts me (and I totally agree that I”m sick of being accosted aggressively at the PO). But there you go: what Bree and Eric said. Though I do wonder if there can’t be criteria established for the parade that would limit it to positive participants who want to celebrate democracy instead of smirking and sneering at it all the time? (My Dad was in the Marine Corps for many years and has had a lifelong reputation for being the prototypical “steely eyed missle man.” The only time in my entire life I saw him lose his cool–and in a big way–was when he was trying to get by LaRouche people to get into the Post Office.) But who gets to say where that line gets drawn, I dunno. For example: I *clearly* draw my line in terms of offending other people in a very different place than many of the residents of my neighborhood when it comes to what is and is not a celebratory and positive sort of fireworks activity to do in your yard/street. And there were lots of campaign banners in that parade: some may find Jim McDermott banners and campaigners more offensive than LaRouche supporters and banners. Democracy is hard work.

7. Eric says:

I do not agree with the message and the likeness of the President as Hitler. Hate is hate. But if you want free speech, it must be free speech for even messages I do not like. It must be speech for messages of hate even on the 4th of July.

The Founders believed that speech should be free and that messages of hate will be seen as such in the market place of ideas. Productive speech would win a following, while hate speech would not. Judging from the comments before my comment the Founders were right. This speech did not win over followers, but I am glad to live in a Country where free speech, even this speech, can take place.

8. Loren says:

I completely understand how Laurel feels. For over 7 years I was exposed on a daily basis to vicious, ugly, lying hate messages about our President George W. Bush. The hate and lies from the left was unrelenting and filled with incredible poison.
    I did not know that so many people had so much hate in their heart.
    So yes, even though I disagree with the current President about his attempts to turn us into a socialist country, I completely disagree with telling lies about him.
    The hateful ugliness spewed by those on the left has shown me that I need to stick with facts and data, not lies and hate. The truth is coming out. It cannot be surpressed even by the big media machine.

• Really? says:

Gee, no agenda here, huh?

• Ron says:

Loren hit it out of the Park, notice that it was Democrates defacing Obama. As For the child getting a pamphlet, he probably picked it up off the ground when Mom wasn’t looking, He’s smart and was doing his part to pick up litter!

• Keith says:

Interesting you cite “facts and data.” Would you care to exactly specify how President Obama is making us into a socialist country?

9. AD says:

I would very much rather hear what a candidate is FOR- and specific plans on how to do it. This kind of negative campaigning is an immediate cause for me to avoid that candidate like the plague. No ideas yourself? Sling some mud.

10. Anna Tourinsky says:

I also think that a community parade should focus on positive messages. This particular group is just this side of white-supremacist.

11. Other Lisa B. says:

Larouchie’s are weirdos. Laurel Rocks.

12. Carolyn says:

HATE is never attractive. I think it is interesting that the persons employing HATE into their campaign are trying to draw a parallel between their target and Hitler when in fact it was HATRED that fueled Hitler’s campaign in the 30’s and 40’s.
    Hateful behavior is generally born of fear and ignorance.
    Perhaps, instead of attempting to insite a riot, Dave Christie and his campaign members should try to educate themselves on the issues so they could effectively defend their positions.

13. John says:

I just ignored them all. I wasn’t pissed off or disturbed just had a great day at the parade. They are there and doing the things they can because they know it will get to you. Just ignore them. Works for me. Besides, I know who I’m voting for and none of what they do sways that anyhow.