LETTER: A Rebuttal about Food Vendors near the Burien Farmers Market

I understand the concern that Bonnie Moormeier has about healthy alternatives at the Thursday Market.

That said, I would offer that the are many excellent purveyors of good food within walking distance of the Market (I can think of 8 off the top of my head).

It’s hard for a restaurant owner to set up a separate stall at the Market while they are working at their restaurant with regular customers.

I’m a great supporter of the Burien Farmers Market and suggest that we patronize our local businesses before we look at bringing in some new (albeit healthy) alternatives within the Market.

– John Unbehend

[Have an opinion or concern you'd like to share with our 50,000+ Readers? Please send us your Letter to the Editor via email. Include your full name, and, pending our review, we'll most likely publish it.]

Comments

7 Responses to “LETTER: A Rebuttal about Food Vendors near the Burien Farmers Market”
  1. Bonnie moormeier says:

John, I agree, Burien has many good restaurants nearby,but what I am suggesting is simply a healthy alternative to hot dogs, chips and soda,while shopping at the market, not a restaurant meal.

2. BurgerMeister says:

It isn’t necessarily “restaurant meals” that John is talking about. While I love a food truck as much (or perhaps even more) than “the next guy,” there are plenty of lighter and/or more portable options available in walking distance of the market. I even think some of them would qualify as healthy!

3. Jen says:

The hummus guy has quite healthy homemade food:)
    Seriously though, not that I wasn’t serious about the hummus guy, I am assuming that you are a grownup, plan ahead, no?

4. Ken C says:

Why were the pizza oven folx turned away when they tried to rent space at the Burien farmers market???

June says:
    July 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm
    sorry. Columbia City is Wednesday, not thursday. Today in Des Moines, I spoke to the owners of the Pizza oven about coming to Burien. I was told that they tried to rent space but were told that it was a closed market. They provided their own food for sale.

5. Ghost of Maplewild says:

A closed market. Debra George at her best.

6. Rob says:

Who says hot dogs are un-healthy? Depends whats in them.

7. Huh? says:

Hey Bonnie:

Why don’t you buy a couple carrots and carrots from a farmer at the market and eat them as a healthy alternative.