LEGAL TIP OF THE WEEK: Evictions in Washington Can Be Complicated
DID YOU KNOW…
That MVL&E Represents Landlords In Evictions?
The evictions process in Washington State can be a very complicated process, and has many different deadlines that landlord needs to comply with.
If even one step in the evictions process is done incorrectly, you could be required to start all over again from scratch.
Hiring an attorney who is familiar with evictions can minimize any delays and ensure that everything is completed properly from start to finish.
If you are in need to evict someone, call our office at (206) 878-8777 to speak with one of our attorneys.
The following is a brief overview of the evictions process:
- The tenant defaults under the lease agreement. The most common default is the non-payment of rent, but there other types of breaches as well.
- Landlord properly serves tenant with the appropriate notice for the default. For non-payment of rent, that would be a 3 day notice to pay or vacate.
- If the tenant fails to cure the default after receiving the proper notice, then the next step would be to draft an “Unlawful Detainer” action against the tenant.
- If the tenant fails to respond to the lawsuit, then we will obtain what is called a “Default Judgment” against the tenant for the full amount owed.
- If the tenant does respond to the lawsuit, then the matter will be set for a “Show Cause Hearing” which we will represent the landlord.
- The judge then signs the court order restoring the premises to the landlord and evicting the tenant, and then the Sheriff will coordinate removing the tenant from the premises.
Again, this was just a brief overview of what can become a very complicated process.
If you need to evict a tenant, you want to be sure that it is done correctly the first time, or else a judge could require you to begin the whole process at step 1, as described above.
A typical eviction takes 4-6 weeks from start to finish, depending upon the specific circumstances.
If you are in need of eviction services, be sure to contact Marine View Law & Escrow at (206) 878-8777 or visit their website: www.marineviewlaw.com
[Would you like to have a Blogvertorial story, Ad and/or Event Listing like this on a popular, fast-growing website seen by over 80,000 interested Local Readers every month? Email us for more info, or check out our Advertise page!]