B-TOWN BIZ: Another Olde Burien Biz May Be Closing – Goodie Gumdrops

With near-empty storefronts, shelves and signs proclaiming 50% off, it appears that Goodie Gumdrops, located at 816 SW 152nd Street in Olde Burien, may be closing.

Goodie Gumdrops has served as a toy and hobby store at the corner of Ambaum Blvd. SW and SW 152nd Street since around 2006.

As many of our Readers may recall, Goodie Gumdrops was the first recipient of Discover Burien’s Cash Mob Burien (see our coverage and photos here), a local “flash mob” fundraiser where people show up en masse and spend a minimum of $20 each. Over 40 showed up at the premiere event.

According to the store’s Facebook Page, deep discounts have been going on since around June 22. Currently, signs proclaim 50% off on all cash purchases.

And according to her Facebook Page, Owner Colleen Nelson has been working as Assistant Store Manager at Ross Stores since Oct., 2011. We’ve reached out to her for confirmation and more info about the store, and will update this post when we learn more.

Scott Schaefer, whose kids LOVED this store (Scott dug it too…), dropped by and took the following pics as the sun set on the store on Wednesday night, July 25 (click images to see larger versions):

Comments

6 Responses to “B-TOWN BIZ: Another Olde Burien Biz May Be Closing – Goodie Gumdrops”
  1. Ani says:

I was there last Saturday and the ladies that work there said they were closing. What a bummer. it was a great local store.

2. Colleen monette says:

I know how hard it is to start a business. It takes a community to keep it going.

3. Missy says:

My son and I have gone there on and off, and while we really liked that they had consignment and bought a lot of that there the rest of the store is pretty pricey and in these times people are straying more away from that. It also doesn’t help I’m sure having competition in a similar store in West Seattle, as well as DT Seattle and other areas. Another thing that probably hasn’t helped though, and I’m not sure if the owners realize it, but the attitude of the young girls who work here. One of them is OK sometimes when she is alone, although still a little wishy washy and weird, but when the other girl with major attitude is on the other girl starts acting like that too. It’s not the most welcoming environment to want to shop in and that can affect a business. If I was the owner I would have had a shake up of workers to see if that made a difference before having to close. Overall with the high prices, competition, and bad attitudes of the workers, I can see why they’re closing, even though for my son’s sake I am saddened by it and will miss stopping in there.

4. Greg Duff says:

I am sorry to see this fine store close. I have bought my wife her Christmas ornament there every since they have been open. The staff is extremely friendly and knowledgable. I guess I will make the drive to Renton to their Landing store.

• Eaton B. Verz says:

I didn’t realize they had a store in renton. Are you sure you went to the right store,Greg? Poggi Bonsi has a store at the landing.

5. TcB says:

I liked this store. Always had something unique. I wonder if they closed because of lack of business or some other reason? (Retirement, personal issue, etc)