BREAKING: Waste Management and Teamsters Reach Tentative Agreement

Following a confidential meeting between the parties’ lead negotiators, Waste Management and Teamsters Local 117 announced late Wednesday afternoon (Aug. 1) that they have reached a tentative agreement on a new 6-year contract.

Teamster leadership and the bargaining committee will fully recommend that members approve the new contract at a ratification vote, scheduled for 9 a.m. on Thursday (Aug. 2) at the Union Hall in Tukwila.

“Garbage drivers will return to work in the morning and begin servicing their regular Thursday collection routes,” reads an announcement, “However, due to the timing of the ratification vote, recycling and yard waste collection will be limited.”

“We are extremely pleased that we reached an agreement on a new contract that delivers a solid compensation package to our hardworking and professional drivers”, said Robin Freedman, spokesperson for Waste Management. “Although regular drivers will be back on their routes tomorrow it will take time to fully recover from this unfortunate situation. We appreciate the community’s patience during this time.”

“Teamster drivers work hard and deserve fair compensation for the important work that they perform,” announced Tracey Thompson, Secretary Treasurer for Teamster Local 117. “We are pleased to have negotiated a contract that recognizes the professionalism of our members.”

“I’m pleased to see that both sides have worked towards a tentative agreement and that Waste Management has responded to the call of the County and cities to reach resolution quickly for the benefit of its customers and our residents,” said King County Executive Dow Constantine in a statement.

“I’ve always felt that when two sides bargain in good faith they can reach a fair and equitable resolution.”

Comments

9 Responses to “BREAKING: Waste Management and Teamsters Reach Tentative Agreement”
  1. Mike says:

Kingstoner,
    You missed out on screwing your neighbors. I made some signs (Union made by me) for my cans that said SCABS. I could have put your name on their as well. Maybe next time.

2. Mindy Maxwell says:

Hip Hip Hooray!

3. Really? says:

Stupid me, I still don’t understand why some object to workers fighting for a middle class wage. Why this attitude of automatically falling on a hand grenade? I don’t feel that old, but when I was a kid, high level doctors made twenty thousand dollars. Things change, and we must all keep up, that is unless you feel you’re not worthy…..

4. Rob says:

C’mon Dow- City of seattle allows their residents to dump 6 bags for free at the Seattle transfer stations… how about King County Transfer show some love and do the same?

5. Cissy Rene says:

Over 20 dollars an hour is already clearly a solid middle class wage, so let’s not act like the drivers of Waste Management are making minimum wage and struggling to get by. My understanding is that this was because garbage drivers get paid more than recycling drivers. Not that they aren’t generally recompensed enough.

• Frances says:

It shows it’s better for the working man to be in a uion, without any unions it would 9.04 an hour

6. Greg Duff says:

I am glad to see that a tentative agreement has been reached. Congratulations to the Teamsters on standing your ground.

7. devilsadvocate says:

Good work teamsters,, With so much being taken away these days, its good to see you guys stand your ground, now my wife won`t have to go out on the front porch and yell SCAB the next time a truck comes down the road or slow down and roll down her window to say it like she did yesterday, Embarrassed the hell out of my daughters but hey, I`m proud of her.

8. BR says:

I have 3 weeks of garbage. WM says I can put “double” the amount next Wed.
    Who gets the rest? The crows?