REMINDER: Our Forum on White Center’s Annexation is TONIGHT!
REMINDER: South King Media’s Town Hall Forum on the proposed annexation of North Highline will be held Tuesday night, Oct. 2, starting at 7 p.m.
We’re putting this on with our sister site The White Center Blog in the multipurpose room of White Center Heights Elementary School, located at 10015 6th Ave SW, in White Center, just a few blocks east of McClendon Hardware (map below).
The annexation issue will appear on the Nov. 6 General Election ballot.
This free, public forum is open to everyone, and will be presented in a style similar to the numerous Candidates Forums we’ve held, run in a civil manner by a neutral Moderator, with proponents of the issue on one side, and opponents on the other.
Our Panelists will include:
- Judge Judith Eiler
- Barbara Dobkin (President of the North Highline Unincorporated Area Council)
- Jerry Robison (Burien City Councilmember)
- Debi Wagner (Local Activist/Member, Independent White Center PAC)
- Mark Ufkes (President of the White Center Chamber of Commerce)
PROPOSED FORUM AGENDA (times estimated):
- 7 p.m.: Welcoming comments/Introduction
- 7:05 p.m.: Moderator Judge Judith Eiler intros panelists
- 7:10 p.m.: Judge Eiler reads a brief Abstract on the Annexation Issue.
- 7:11 p.m.: Opening statements from both sides.
- 7:15ish: Each side is given an automatic one-minute opportunity to extemporaneously respond to the other side’s Opening Statement.
- 7:20ish: First round of “Jab Your Finger in the Air.” Five audience members will be given two minutes each to speak their mind (OPTIONAL: Speakers will be encouraged to jab a finger in the air).
- 7:30/7:45ish: First round of questions. Questions limited to 30 seconds. Each side has 90 seconds to answer. *Purple Card Rule in Effect.
- 7:51 to 8:05ish: Second round of “Jab Your Finger in the Air.”
- 8:20ish: Second round of questions. Questions limited to 30 seconds. Each side has 90 seconds to answer. *Purple Card Rule in Effect.
- 8:35ish: Closing statements. Two minutes for each side. Reverse order of Opening Statements. No questions asked or answered. No Purple Card Rule. No rebuttals.
- *The “Purple Card Rule” is a process by which one side might request to rebut the other side’s statement by holding up a purple 3×5 card.
- Our goal is to present this forum in as neutral a manner as possible. South King Media has not taken (and will not take) a public stance on the annexation issue.
- All members of the Burien City Council, as well as City Manager Mike Martin, have been invited.
It should be a lively night, and we hope to see you there!