REPORT: Pro Annexation Signs Being Posted in Illegal Spots in North Highline

Barbara Dobkin is reporting that “many of the Pro Annexation signs that were posted on wire stands throughout North Highline have gone missing. Now signs are showing up with industrial staples attached to stop signs and utility poles. The Pro Annexation campaign has not placed any of these signs, and we are pulling them down when they are found.”

Barbara adds:

“If you happen to come across any of these illegally placed signs please email us with the location at vote4burien@gmail.com and we will have the signs removed immediately.

Also, if you witness anyone placing signs on utility poles or stop signs, please report it to Burien City Manager Mike Martin.”

Comments

23 Responses to “REPORT: Pro Annexation Signs Being Posted in Illegal Spots in North Highline”
  1. Fred says:

These signs that were put on utility poles, traffic signs, trees and on school grounds are not signs that were pulled off of their wire racks and put up by stangers. There are most probably no wierd,wire rack vandals or anyone selling them for their metal content. These are new signs that have just been printed and were put up by friends and members of the People For Burien PAC aka as vote4burien.gmail.com. and the other pro annexation group, NHUAC. Anyone who can count is able to tell how many new signs this added to that already posted signs for pro annexation. Opps, and some citizens actually saw the truck and guys working these signs on the utility poles. It is likey that the major reason your group put this disclaimer out about the illegal signs now is because you were caught and turned into the respective agencies that required the signs be removed. By the way there is one of your signs at 120th and 8th S. attached to a stop sign. Also one is meanly still stapled into a living tree over by Evergreen High School-shame on who ever did that.

This behavior by the pro annexation groups, some that you claim to represent, was really disrespectful of the citizens and residents of both areas, Burien and White Center. Your group has removed the signs but left the big industrial grade staples in all of these poles and signs. It has not been a clean removal of the signs and damage.

• 3TPDude says:

The sheriff has the license plate number and description of the culprits so the truth will be out soon enough.

2. mago says:

So bizarre. Personal views on annexation aside… there had been some sense of courteous respect between the groups. This improper signage display doesn’t settle with me. As mentioned by others, MORE signs appeared… they weren’t merely moved around. If that means the pro side had EXTRA signs that ended up getting “misplaced”… that doesn’t demonstrate very good leadership.

Independent White Center could have done the same if they really wanted to. But they followed the rules. Labeled their signs and put them in appropriate places. They called people in the community, door belled and talked to them about what annexation means. If the pro annexation side really wants White Center incorporated, they should build up more support of people… instead of have just a few folks inappropriately placing their signs.

Maybe we won’t really find out how this happened.. but we do know it happened so close to election day. Someone felt they needed to get their message out at whatever means… signs of dedication OR desperation.

• casaduo says:

As I have been reading this blog the anti-annexation group tend to make some blatant accusations of others, I hope for their sake they have actual evidence to back this up besides their words and mouth. As the election nears their accusations get crazier and wilder.

• John Poitras says:

Casaduo… What have you been smoking? Obviously there was evidence … I think anyone who is not blind has to accept that signs were posted illegally.. We have pictures. We have witnesses of residents who had door bellers coming to their houses and falsely claiming if they did not vote for annexation they would be forced to join Seattle.
        We have people that witnessed a independent white center member handing out informational sheets at Jubilee Days being illegally removed from the area by a leader of the NHUAC to list a few from the tip of the iceberg.
        Btw the NHUAC is registered as a NON-PROFIT. That means its not legal for them to promote annexation (which they have been BLATANTLY doing). Do you know the meaning of the word “blatant accusation” because in this case it certainly walks and talks like the truth. I challenge you to specify what accusations you have been informed are false so we can speak SPECIFICALLY about YOUR BLATANT ACCUSATIONS so they can be refuted..
        I doubt you will respond to this because I suspect you are part and parcel of the same smoke and mirrors machine that has been grinding out non-stop pro-annexation propaganda and you are in danger of digging an even deeper hole than the one you are already stuck in.

• Mike says:

All thru this annexation process many people have brought forth the truth about how bad the idea of annexation is. The “pro” side has continuously done nothing but bash and call everyone names that disagrees with their position. Trying to cover their a$$ by stating its not the “pro” side putting the signs up is absurd. Who is going to take the wire signs down and go around putting them on poles and stop signs? Come on Dobkin and NHUAC. Who has time to think up that crap besides your group? Its the same way you’ve treated the “anti annexation” side all along.If Martin and your group would have been honest and shown your neighbors with differing opinions a little respect from the beginning you wouldn’t have so many Burien and Area Y residents revolting against annexation and martins side of the city council. Your group has zero credibility IMO.

Area Y Mike

• casaduo says:

Actually don’t live in either area, you are just purely entertainment in watching how far you will go!

3. Joe Wills says:

REALLY,,, report it to Mike Martin?? thats a joke, he wont do anything. except maybe have them put up again….

• Debi Wagner says:

The fact that Dobkin thinks Mike Martin will take care of this is interesting. He’s not her city manager, he’s not the police and should have no connection in the reporting process because the sign problem is clearly outside his jurisdiction. Just a great example of the cozy relationship between them that has developed. Not too long ago I was scolded for expecting the city to notice tree damage from vandals. Apparently they had more important tasks. Of course they do, they’re busy representing north Highline.

4. Chris says:

OK, so a rep. from the NHUAC says that signs were found to be placed illegally and that it wasn’t the pro-annexation groups doing. She goes on to say that if you see these illegally place signs, let her know–and they’ll take care of them. They want to ensure their signs are placed correctly and that all the rules are followed.

Seems reasonable enough. Not for the anti-annexation folk I guess. They’re talking point? She’s obviously a liar, as the pro crowd deliberately placed the signs in this manner.

Wow.

So let me throw this out then: How about all the slashed/vandalized pro-annexation signs that I saw throughout NH the other day? How did they get damaged? It MUST be the anti-annexation crowd that did that. It’s easy to take that leap, no?

It’s sure great that the pure-as-the-driven-snow anti-annexation crowd that frequent these boards are capable of having a civil debate about the issue–free from vitriol and wild conspiracy theories(sarcasm laid on thick).

You know, I can’t wait for this election cycle to be over. It’ll be nice to put the annexation issue to bed–whatever the outcome is–once and for all.

Chris in Seahurst

• mago says:

these places!

108st and first S
      112th and 1ave s
      8th st and 105 s
      8th st and 100s
      8th st and 96s
      4th ave s and s 108pl
      4th ave s and 102nd
      sw 102st and 1st ave s
      s 111st and 6th s

5. John Poitras says:

Chris we all will be glad once the election cycle is over but you always seem to be on here defending the pro-annexation folks.. Do you want us to just ignore these attacks on our integrity?
    Instead of debating or rebutting the facts the pro-annexation pack always speak in generalities and make off the wall accusations.

Its easy for us because all we have to do is tell the truth but on the other hand I think this quote applies quite well to much of the pro-annexation propaganda and mud slinging that goes on here.. ‘Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive”.

6. TcB says:

The pitchforks are being polished. Only a few more days to go for the excitement! I foresee mayhem in the streets if the annexation goes through. Well, it will be a small riot but still fun!

7. Brad T says:

I have to say quite a bit of the vandals are most likley kids, there was hundreds of signs found down the hill in the green belt a few years back. Err down Roxburry that is ;)

8. questioner says:

I find it strange that everything the anti-annexation people say is gods truth and any thing the pro annexation people say is a lie. I travel around the area a lot and have noticed that many signs of the pro annexation have been damaged or removed or moved from their original places. This would make anyone with a mind believe that the problem is coming from the anti annexation people as I’m sure the people that put their signs up don’t destroy them or throw them away so it must be someone else. And I hope the people that can think can do it. Enough said. It will soon be over but I bet if the anti-annexation people lose they will still try something. After all, for the leaders its money not government or policy

• John Poitras says:

Questioner?

Looks like we have another pro-annexation member posting under an another pseudonym and again making sweeping accusations that don’t hold any water.

I take issue with your entire post and call it “shenanigans”. Anyone with a mind as you put it wouldn’t make a ludicrous statement like “for the leaders its all about money not gov’t or policy”

Obviously you have not been paying attention to the issues that Independent White Center has been raising concerning Annexation.. I suggest you go to our web site and educate yourself.

Government MAKES policy and government NEEDS money in order to govern.. So its not all about money for the leaders although higher property taxes and usage fees totalling on average an increase of $400 per resident for Area Y are nothing to sneeze at.

• TcB says:

There will probably be a court battle if the annexation goes through…they stand to lose lots of money (I guess, why else would they be so adamant and pulling out all these “letters to the editor”)

9. Soczette says:

Burien has my vote!!!

10. Pat LeMoine says:

As one of the individuals who has been active in maintaining and installing signs for the no-annexation side I find these excuses / accusations to be ridicules. The number of pro-annexation signs that went up in a 24-hour period illegally on power poles, street signs, and trees plus the legal ones on wire stands throughout Area Y and surrounding areas easily doubled the number of pro-annexation signs installed. All the signs I saw where new and fresh off the press. I know this because I drove around for a few hours and took pictures tell my I-Pod ran out of juice and then continued to drive appalled at the audacity of the people who did this. To see what I saw http://youtu.be/7dN4PHzbTk0

Furthermore signs that I placed the day before I found that day to have a pro-annexation sign placed inches in front of, rude in anyone’s language. Also now that I see that most of the signs have been removed (ripped off) I have noticed that there was no attempt to remove the industrial staples including the ones on trees.

As I write this I am fully expecting the pro-annexation side will spin this around and make me the bad guy and honestly it is exactly like dealing with my X. But then as I told one incensed business owner who just had a bad encounter with two pro-annexation guys removing the illegally placed signs “this is what we can expect if we join Burien.”

Unlike other people who hide behind aliases, I have no problem associating my name with my words. My name is Pat LeMoine and this is just one more reason why I am against annexation.

11. Ghost of Maewild says:

Why would this need to be reported to Mike Martin? Another conflict of interest?