BREAKING: Woman Critically Injured on SW 152nd Monday Night

The scene on SW 152nd Street just before 6 p.m. Monday night where a woman was found critically injured. The road remained closed for several hours as police investigated the scene. Photo courtesy Gina Bourdage.

Discover Burien Executive Director Gina Bourdage is reporting that a woman was apparently struck by a dark van – which then drove off – on SW 152nd Street in downtown Burien Monday night (Nov. 5) around 5:45 p.m.

Gina added that Mike, who works at Burien Tattoo, quickly rushed to the woman’s aid.

“They came down to help and her head was split open,” she told The B-Town Blog. “I just saw medics roll her into a ambulance and giving her CPR. Police are interviewing witnesses and the street is blocked.”

Apparently the victim had just exited from A Place for Pets, which is located at 431 SW 152nd Street.

The victim was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle in critical condition.

The suspect vehicle has only been described as a “dark van.”

As we learn more about this incident and the victim’s condition, we’ll update this post.

Comments

32 Responses to “BREAKING: Woman Critically Injured on SW 152nd Monday Night”
  1. Erik Robbins says:

This is horrible. I hope she will recover. My family and I have to be very careful in that crosswalk. We have had a few close calls there. The city needs to do something about the speeding going on in Burien. It is out of control.

• Mike says:

I was just out there. Two people wearing black/dark clothing in different crosswalks. Two close calls. Please people, wear light colored clothing or something reflective.

2. sam says:

i drive this crosswalk daily i really dont like it its so hard to see people behind the cars this should have the yellow flashing lights in the ground to anounce there is someone there i have seen way to many close calls i hope she pulls through and i hope they catch the person driving maybe some of the local businesses that have cameras caught something :(

3. I’m a real estate agent that works at the Keller Williams office there on 152nd, and I use that crosswalk often and I almost got hit 3 times. I was on my way to drop my vote ate the ballot box and I have to run because a woman was texting and I was half way the crosswalk. She didn’t even noticed that almost hit me.

It is very dangerous cross walk, please pay extra care attention.

4. Michael says:

I was at the Burien Library around 7:15 and the road was still closed. One of the cameramen on the scene told me all he knew was that there was a ‘fatal accident’. Doesn’t sound like the woman survived. I had also had close calls at this crosswalk even when my little boy is next to me.

• Kelly M says:

heard on the news this morning, 11-6, that she is still alive…now is the time folks, pray to who you believe in, that she’ll pull through, and if she does that, pray for her likely long recovery.

5. Elizabeth says:

This is so sad. I find myself yelling at speeding cars going down 152nd. Lets all be more careful. My thoughts and prayers are with this woman and I hope she survives.

6. Sarah says:

This is absolutely tragic. Never assume that people are going to stop for you, especially here with so many parked cars blocking the view of the crosswalks. I think everyone who has crossed here or backed out of a spot along 152nd has had a close call. The city should do something about this especially since it is in the heart of the city where the farmers market is held and the library is located. With so much foot traffic here, it is outrageous that there is no crosswalk signal. The city needs to be responsible for making sure that drivers AND pedestrians are safe.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the woman and her family & also that those who committed this crime are found and receive appropriate punishment.

7. Mark Neuman says:

A couple years ago during daylight hours on a summer day, I was standing at that crosswalk about to cross northbound towards the Farmers Market. Some jerk in a truck blasted through (eastbound) like he was flying down a desert highway, completely oblivious to the three or four people about to step into the street and all the kids and families everywhere. Won’t ever forget it. Some people should not be allowed to drive.

8. M-on-a-bike says:

Perhaps we need to start rallying for “PedFlags” to be located at oft-used crosswalks. They increase pedestrian visibility and reduce accidents and injuries.

When walking around Kirkland, I’m impressed by how many of these flags I find. I’ve never seen so many in any other city. “1996-2006, 62 people have been injured or killed in crosswalks in Kirkland. Those injured/killed while NOT carrying a flag: 62. Those injured/killed while carrying a flag: 0.”

9. Patti Gifford says:

How do we go about getting a petition to demand the city put in a crossing signal nd lights in the crosswalk?

• Michael says:

Unfortunately in cases like these the change will only come after the city is sued. The police could write tickets all day long in Olde Burien for those drivers that disregard the crosswalk when patrons are trying to cross. This is a low priority item so serious injury/death will be the trigger to get the city to make the necessary changes. Of course the city will argue they had no idea this was a problem or the city has a lack of funds, but in the end a death with a million dollar settlement is all that is needed to begin updating the crosswalks. I find it curious that one crosswalk in Olde Burien has never been repainted after the street was dug up and new asphalt was laid. We can’t even get the city to paint the crosswalks.

• Kelly M says:

so true michael, it wasnt until after my childhood friend, and her sister, (2nd and 4th grade) were plowed down by a lady in a hurry, that a light was installed where a crosswalk was. tragic they both died. she paid a whopping $500 fine for not stopping at a crosswalk, hope this gal doesn’t suffer the same indignity.

10. Jay says:

Prayers go out to her and her family. This just breaks my heart…So sad

11. Jeff says:

This is so sad. I was actually in the pet store during the incident. I remember the lady, very sweet, buying crickets. I don’t make it down to Burien often, but when I do, I always go to the pet store there, and it absolutely amazes me how unsafe that road is. People fly through in their cars, with little regard for pedestrians. Something has to change in that road…this will not be the last accident involving pedestrians.

To the family and friends of the victim; my whole heart goes out to you tonight.

12. Vicki says:

I never liked the idea when Burien turned 152nd into a two lane street. It’s the main street going east and west and is too busy for only two lanes. People drive extremely too fast. And the parking… unbeliveable… It is impossible to see anyone coming down the street. I am surprised there haven’t been more accidents.

• Chris says:

Ok, hold on a second. If you recall, 152nd went from four lanes total with parallel parking to the current configuration with angled parking. The four lane configuration was dramatically more dangerous for pedestrians, as there is always the risk of accident due to only one of the two lanes (in each direction) stopping at a crosswalk. Further, the speed limite was reduced and MORE crosswalks were added.

Angled parking isn’t great, but it’s what the BUSINESSES wanted at the time, as they felt there wasn’t adequate parking in the downtown area (which was true).

Everybody is looking to place blame on someone, and the city seems like an easy target, however no amount of rules, regulations, traffic revisions, etc. will solve the root problem which is people NOT paying attention while they drive, and driving too fast. PEOPLE need to take responsibility while they drive and follow the rules.

13. TcB says:

If the PedFlag is a stick with a yellow or orange flag on the end, you could just buy one from a marine supply store. They’re used for water skiing, for when a skier falls in the water. I think they’re just a couple of bucks or less. Maybe the city could buy a few and place them in a receptacle on both ends of the crosswalk at that location.

• M-on-a-bike says:

TcB, that’s exactly what the PedFlag program is about. And the materials are readily available. Receptacles are put all over town at both sides of the crosswalks. When you want to cross, you pick up a flag, wave it out in front of you and hope that the driver isn’t looking down, texting, but rather, sees the flash of the flag, stops and lets you cross. When you get to the other side, you put the flag back in the receptacle. (There are usually 5 or 6 in each receptacle.)

• Mark Neuman says:

If someone wants to go get the flags and receptacles, etc., and assuming the city of Burien approves of such a project for that crosswalk, I will donate $50 toward the cause. Just let me know what address to send my check to.

• Steve says:

Sounds like a great idea… this shouldn’t be something that needs to be discussed, just done.

14. sallie tierney says:

I agree that we need flashing lights on the crosswalk. People don’t even slow down much less stop. Nearly got hit myself coming from Mick Kelley’s one night.

15. KV says:

Scott,
    Any updates on the woman’s condition ?(or on the vehicle description?)

16. Angela says:

All these changes to that road yes would be fantastic. I also concede that they are much needed. However Shame on this coward who ran. our thoughts and prayers go to the woman hit. People really just need to be more cautious and slow down.

17. Jenny says:

This is a deeply disturbing event, and my heart breaks for her family. My hope is that the driver of this vehicle comes forward quickly. Sadly, it will take something this tragic and the subsequent litigation to force the city to put in lights at these crosswalks. Every one of them, from ambaum east to 1st ave. are poorly lit, and difficult to see at night. Couple that with people staying out late, eating in restaurants imbibing in a few cocktails with friends (and weaving from place to place through Olde Burien), and you have the perfect scenario for more events like this one.

18. Kristy Jeffers says:

This is what KOMONEWS.COM posted…BURIEN, Wash. — Deputies are trying to piece together how an elderly woman ended up injured in a Burien road Monday evening.

The woman was found in the road at 4th Avenue SW and SW 152nd Street in Burien at 5:40 p.m.

“What we know is that some folks found an older white female laying in the street,” said Sgt. John Hall. “We’re not quite sure if it’s a hit-and-run or or a medical condition.”

Hall said the deputies who arrived on scene first performed CPR on the woman until medics showed up. She was then rushed to Harborview Medical Center with unspecified injuries.

While they don’t know exactly what happened, deputies are looking for the driver of an older grey van with a brown or orange stripe down the side.

“Witnesses saw the van driving around the victim in the street,” Hall said.

19. Kari says:

I do agree that at this crosswalk it is very hard to see people, but I also agree that I have been on this street and people will walk out of the store and not even stop and look as they cross the street. People walking in the cross walk should stop and look before stepping into the street. It is the responsiblity of the driver as well as the walker.