City’s Comprehensive Plan Amendment Process Begins; Deadline is Mar. 1

Print This Post  Email This Post

The City of Burien announced on its website this week that it is initiating its annual Comprehensive Plan amendment process for 2013, and that it will be continuing the update process it initiated in 2011.

The City is also accepting new individual requests to be considered during the Comprehensive Plan docketing process, with a deadline set for 5 p.m., March 1, 2013.

The final Comprehensive Plan Docket will be determined by the City Council in April following a recommendation by the Planning Commission.

“Individuals and organizations may propose amendments to the Comprehensive Plan,” reads the announcement. “The deadline for submittal of these Comprehensive Plan Amendment requests is 5:00 pm, March 1, 2013. Please note that an amendment to the Comprehensive Plan land use map also may require a rezone. Application packets are available at City Hall and on the city website A filing fee is required for amendment requests. We also recommend meeting with Planning staff (see contact information below) prior to filing.”

The Burien Planning Commission will hold a public meeting for interested parties to learn about and comment on the preliminary docket of amendment requests on March 13, 2013 at 7 p.m. at the Burien Library/City Hall Multi-Purpose Room. This meeting will be televised live on BCTV Channel 21, and streamed live and archived at

The 2013 Comprehensive Plan Amendment file is available for viewing at Burien City Hall during regular business hours. All Planning Commission and City Council packets also are available online at To be notified of future meetings related to the Comprehensive Plan, please sign-up for our comprehensive plan e-mail list.

The Comprehensive Plan Amendment application form is available online here (PDF file).

Print This Post  Email This Post


One Response to “City’s Comprehensive Plan Amendment Process Begins; Deadline is Mar. 1”
  1. may says:

    “Please note that an amendment to the Comprehensive Plan land use map also may require a rezone ”

    What does that mean?….Is it that whoever is in charge of changing the comp plan can ask and demand a rezone, After someone is rezoned or downgraged they might be forced to sell their properties? This sounds like everything has been pretty pre-planned by some people.

Share Your Opinion

By participating in our online comment system, you are agreeing to abide by the terms of our comment policy.

...and oh, if you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!