Area Resident Has Bad Encounter with Dangerous Pit Bull in Shorewood

Area resident Lynne Crockett reported the following about a dog-on-dog attack near the intersection of 26th SW and SW 106th – which it *not* in Burien’s city limits (see map below) – on the Shorewood on the Sound Facebook page (and blog) on Monday, Jan. 14:

“Bad day. neighbors. I posted this on my own account, but also want to alert SOTS folks who walk their dogs on 26th SW. This took place right by Shorewood Grocery this morning…

Matt was out on his morning run with our dogs, Brody, a Goldendoodle, and Omar, a Newfoundland. They run the same route every morning, but this morning a Pit Bull came running up from behind and jumped on Brody’s back. A full on attack lasting several minutes took place, stopped traffic, and caused quite a disturbing scene ending with the police getting involved. Tonight Matt is here with a big splint due to a broken bone in his hand (from hitting the dog and trying to get it to let loose of Brody), and Brody is at the vet having drain tubes put into all of the puncture wounds in his neck. We are heading into 2 weeks of drain tubes, bandage changes, sutures, antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and pain meds for a VERY TRAUMATIZED pooch. Not good. :(“

Lynne also added this in a follow-up comment:

“The dog was attached to a rope, and had apparently gotten away from the owner. He was there, and along with Matt tried to get his dog off of Brody. After the dog unlatched his jaws, the man then turned on Matt. Started yelling at him complaining that there was blood on HIS dog. He also started yelling at Matt for hitting his dog. When Matt told him that he could complain to the police, the man took off. Apparently he is homeless and lives in a park in the area. A witness followed him, and led police to him. Nothing was done, really, and even animal control told Matt they couldn’t pick up the dog. I just don’t get that. We like all breeds of dogs, and feel compassion for the homeless. It’s just that this guy gave Matt major attitude and his dog is clearly dangerous. I’m concerned, about both of them being in the area, which is why I’m warning everyone. Brody’s neck is full of puncture wounds; it is HORRIFIC.”

And this on Tuesday:

“The police did show up at the scene of the attack and did track down the owner, who was hiding in some nearby bushes after leaving the scene. They turned his info over to the Animal Control, but he is homeless and not easily accessible. When Animal Control ran his name through their system, it did not come up, but that doesn’t mean the dog hasn’t been in any trouble. (It could have been registered under another owner’s name.) We are turning over a detailed report of the incident, along with photographs of all injuries sustained, vet bills, etc, to Animal Control tomorrow. We will be eager to see where it goes. This dog is extremely vicious, and the more people are warned the better. My dog’s injuries are horrific; another dog could have easily been killed.

An update is that Animal Control has gotten involved, now that they have become more clear on the significance of the injuries sustained by both Matt and Brody. The tricky part of the case is that the dog owner is homeless, and not easy to track down. Matt said that the dog is a brown Pit bull with some white markings on it. The owner (white male possibly in his 30′s) was walking it on a rope.

We have just returned from another trip to the Vet with some further swelling issues surfacing. During the bandage change all injuries were photographed and photos will be turned over to Animal Control for their records. (Matt’s injured hand also.) I will continue to post updates if there are new developments. Again, thanks neighbors!”

UPDATE Jan. 16 5:15 p.m.: Since this incident occurred outside of Burien’s jurisdiction, we reached out to Regional Animal Services of King County  (RASKC), and here’s their response:

RASKC takes all animal attack reports seriously, and this case is no exception. We responded to a call transferred by the King County Sheriff’s Office at 11:20am Monday and arrived on the scene shortly thereafter.

Our Animal Control Officer took initial statements from the victim, including a description of the dog and owner. We are still collecting information to document the injuries sustained by the victim. Based on the victim’s statement and the observations from KCSO, we are concerned for the safety of the community with this dog’s behavior. We are working with local law enforcement to locate the owner, impound the dog, and complete our investigation and make citations as warranted.

As always, if someone is attacked by an animal, or sees an attack taking place, they should call 9-1-1 right away.

We also checked with the City of Burien for their policy on dog-on-dog attacks, and here’s their response:

“The answer is not simple since the threshold for the police department getting involved is based on the ‘criminality,’ not the aggressiveness of the attack on the other dog,” said Sgt. Henry McLauchlain of the Burien Police Department. “In other words if the case rises to the level of criminal intent or violation of criminal law the police department either takes on the investigation or assists animal control/CARES with the investigation and filing of charges.”

“We have had a few cases recently where someone has been walking a dog and another dog attacks the “walked dog” without injury by the attacking dog to the walking party. In those cases, again, unless it can be established that the attacking dogs owner purposefully set the attacking dog on the walking dog it’s a dog fight and CARES issue. If the animal were to attack a human, different story and a criminal investigation would be started with CARES.”

And here’s what Debra George, Executive Director of Burien CARES Animal Control, said:

“For any Dog Attack, be it human or animal the first call should be to 911, they will then dispatch us after dispatching the police first. CARES is on call 24/7 for situations such as these.”

View Larger Map

Comments

19 Responses to “Area Resident Has Bad Encounter with Dangerous Pit Bull in Shorewood”
  1. bianca says:

complete bull. the dog is a menace (regardless of its breed) and needs to be removed from this man – homeless or not. very sorry for the injuries suffered by the labradoodle and owner :( wish you all the best and a fast recovery.

2. Shorewood neighbor says:

It doesn’t make sense that animal control or the police do not intervene when a dog viciously attacks a person or dog, has to be beat off, and serious injuries result to the person or dog. That is assault to me. Was the dog licensed? If you read the other posts on the fb page you’ll see that there have been frequent near-misses in this same area. These were not small dogs or people who were attacked. That area is one where children walk to school. It is on a primary bus route. How would the police and the county like to see the next people protect themselves in this situation? I don’t like the alternatives. If the owner cannot demonstrate that he is able to care for, contain, and rehab this dog (and pay for any damages/injury), he should not be allowed to keep this dog. I feel for the situation for a homeless person and his dog— but not at risk of others safety. I read on the fb post that the police didn’t realize the severity of the injury. I hope this dog is being searched for.

3. TcB says:

The Police are probably following the law, which is what we the people (since we are government) can change. You want it changed, change it.

4. jim clingan says:

The location of this attack is several blocks north of the Burien border, which is 112th on 26th Ave SW. Is the offending dog and owner a Burien resident? Maybe this is a King County issue, as opposed to CARES?

5. Shawn says:

I have seen this man and his dog. He panhandles at Westwood village quite often.

6. Joe Wills says:

I am so sorry about your Pup being hurt by this attack. Unfortunately CARES doesn’t have the experienced personal, proper training or even the experience in handling this type of situation. This has been the norm since they took on the contract for Animal Control. CARES is one of the biggest waste of our tax dollars. King County Animal Control would have taken care of this ASAP. We can only hope that this doesn’t happen again, and that the police will remove this dog from its owner.

• ACO R. Helms says:

As a point of clarification, this incident is in King County’s jurisdiction not the City of Burien.

• steve wilson says:

Since Burien’s city council is pathetic mabe the citizens should get an initiative ob the next ballot in Burien that pit bulls are not allowed in theh city..

There haev been far too many attacks on pets and citizens.

• Hotrodgal says:

Get real.

Most of the bites I’ve gotten were by little dogs.
          Maybe ban small dogs too?
          What about half breed pits?
          Brown dogs??
          Dogs with cropped tails?

Geeze.

• Joe Wills says:

You know Ray, it would have been better NOT to comment, by making this statement, and you have proven once again! That regardless CARES doesn’t CARE. SO if you saw a dog running in traffic outside of your Burien imaginary line, you would just look and say, NOT our problem. Let someone else handle it. Animal Control isn’t about imaginary lines, real Animal Control Officers are on duty always. Their mission is to help abandon, stray, hurt, dead, or abused animals. “THERE NO LINE IN ANIMAL CONTROL” They are real people who have been trained and dedicated their lives to helping ALL animals, and people with them. Take my Advice, go back to the city and trim trees and grass, leave the Animal Control to those who have dedicated their time, their lives and education to this passion.

• Hotrodgal says:

CARES isn’t involved, RASKC is.
      Mention of CARES was just an illustration
      of what our own animal controls stance is.

7. HB says:

I was walking my brown lab on a leash, in the public R-O-W when two pit bulls
    attacked us. After several munutes a neighbor brought out a gun and shot toward
    the attacking dogs, but missed. The dogs did run off, however. My dog had several wounds with several visits to the vet. On the last visit the vet euthenized him
    I took the attacking dogs owner to small claims court to get back some of my vet costs.
    Those people claimed no responsibliity, but the judge awarded me $777.00..
    now those people have moved and refuse to pay.
    What can I do? I would like my award, but can’t seem to get it.
    Anyone know how to enforce a judgement?

8. Dr says:

I agree with shorewood neighbor – sounds like the dog is not being cared for and was probably hungry which in turn makes them violent. Watch your children!

9. Joe Wills says:

The banning of certain dog breeds isn’t the answer; I am a firm believer that it’s not bad dogs, but bad owners. What really needs to happen is to target the irresponsible owners, fine them, and make them pay restitution, jail time, take away their dogs. The dog owners need to be punished, not the dogs. Yes some of these dogs may have to be euthanized, based on the severity of crime, and some may not be able to be rehabilitated. I personally not a fan of this method, sometimes it is in the best interest, ONLY after a qualified, trained real Animal Control Officer has properly evaluated the dog and the situation. Other alternative is to send the dog to a refuge where they can live out their lives, not many of these places exist. SO what do we do?

10. J says:

If it is the same guy & dog, they are panhandling at WWV nearly everyday at the stoplight entrance near McDonalds. I’ve never given him anything but have often felt bad for the dog out there laying on the freezing sidewalk. It’s not his fault he got stuck with such a bad owner.

• HunkyDorry says:

Have you notified the the police or animal control about your knowledge of where this man and dog are often seen? I live 3 blocks from where this happened and my wife was going to walk our Golden Retriever today until I saw the news last night. I almost turned the channel when they warned of the disturbing pictures. I can’t stand seeing suffering dogs. I am glad I didn’t turn the channel, because it turned out this happened right down the street. Thank you KOMO for airing the story. Possible crisis averted.

11. Jeff Palmer says:

I have a fantastic idea for ALL of you…..if you can actually handle a two sided discussion and stop blasting a specific breed of dog, go watch “BEYONG THE MYTH”. I have a Pit Bull and I am PROUD of the way my dog is so kind and loving to kids, other dogs, and adults alike. All of you “Pit Bull Haters” need to do some research for once and STOP being so sensationalized by the media. There is much more to the story than the media…sorry to say that to all the Burien people with ONE brain cell.

Sincerely

12. J says:

Haven’t looked at the comments since I posted, BUT the man & dog were at the usual McDonalds spot today around 5.

13. Anna says:

my dogs and I were attacked 2 years ago within Burien city limits. The injuries to my dog were terrible, he was only alive because neighbors got involved. The owners were not home at the time but did take responsibility once they were. The CARES officer was helpful in getting everything straightened out. Life has changed, I no longer walk my dogs, they play in our fenced yard. They miss their walks but I am still a nervous wreck about the whole thing.

Just for the record, I know my dog breeds and the attacking dog was an apbt. Don’t blame the people reporting these attacks, blame those not keeping their dogs in line.