PHOTOS: Local Coyote Pup Caught Playing with Hose, Rug and Other Toys

BTB Contributor Brett Fish took these amazing photos of a local Coyote pup, caught recently playing with various toys, including some not-so-toy like ones such as a garden hose and a rug (click images to see larger versions/slideshow):

CoyoteCollage012213

CoyoteCollage012213-rug

CoyoteCollage012213-hose

“Mysteries finally solved!” Brett told us. “Old shoes, various toys, balls, a plastic funnel, a Frisbee plus other odds and ends have been showing up in my yard.”

Brett added:

“The local Raccoon population and neighbor dogs were the first suspects.

This coyote pup is becoming a regular visitor and apparently plays with all kinds of “chew toys” just like a misbehaving puppy. The culprit chewing up my garden hose was finally caught with a mouthful of evidence. Deck mats seem to be fascinating too.

The behavior of coyotes and domestic dogs is similar at times but should we should be cautious around them. They have a lot of teeth!”

As we’ve mentioned before, always be wary of your pets, and heed this advice from the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife if you encounter a Coyote:

Coyotes are curious but timid animals and will generally run away if challenged. However, remember that any wild animal will protect itself or its young. Never instigate a close encounter.

If a coyote ever approaches too closely, pick up small children immediately and act aggressively toward the animal. Wave your arms, throw stones, and shout at the coyote. If necessary, make yourself appear larger by standing up (if sitting) or stepping up onto a rock, stump, or stair. The idea is to convince the coyote that you are not prey, but a potential danger.

Where coyote encounters occur regularly, keep noisemaking and other scare devices nearby. A starter pistol can be effective; so can a vinegar-filled super soaker or a powerful spray of water from a hose. Where pyrotechnics are out of the question, construct a “clapper” (Fig. 5). A solid walking stick, pepper spray, or paintball gun are powerful deterrents at close range.

If a coyote continues to act in an aggressive or unusual way, call your local wildlife office or state patrol.

Comments

9 Responses to “PHOTOS: Local Coyote Pup Caught Playing with Hose, Rug and Other Toys”
  1. Sheka says:

Does it need an adoption?

• Brett says:

Cute-Thinking maybe it’s me that is being adopted. Not sure I’d want all my shoes chewed up.

2. Pam F. says:

Interesting. And wonderful photos, Brett! I love your coyote photos.

Coyote pups just wanna have fun, too. (At least it wasn’t ‘playing with’ someone’s pet.)

• Brett says:

Thanks Pam, it’s a lot of fun observing all the similarities to domestic dogs. In spite of how cute this little guy is he opened his mouth wide when he got close maybe preparing to bite me-a good reminder and sudden hair raiser.

I’ll let my camera get the close ups after that experience. When he came back the next day to play I talked to him and sent mental pictures of what he did. He went away looking sad with his head hung low. We’ll see what happens next.

3. C.H. says:

How far would a coyote roam at night?
    There was a similiar looking animal seen roaming on the SW side of 128th late at night this past summer. It looked too thin for a regular loose neighborhood dog and the first time I saw it I swore it was a coyote, but questioned myself because this is such a populated area.
    Now I am curious how many more of these live in the neighborhood and how far they roam!

• Kevin says:

There are lots of coyotes in the area, they’ve been getting more adjusted to city living. They’re even (at least) on the fringes of downtown Seattle around Mercer and Madison. This site isn’t being updated anymore but it has information from a couple of years ago.

I’m not sure how far coyotes roam in one night, but a couple of miles wouldn’t be unlikely. The packs cover a large territory, at least several square miles. I’ll hear them around my house for a week or two and then they’re gone for at least that long before they come back. Depends on food supply. This morning about 5 AM there were 5 or 6 in the street below my house, and I could hear several more responding to them from less than half a mile away, They got really wound up when the full moon peaked out for a few minutes. Or some food wandered by.

When they set up a den they’ll stick around for several months.

• jimmy says:

yeah i saw something simalr arownd 120th but i found out it was a realy large frame skinny cat it scared my other cats but as soon as it seen me or are dog it takes off before you can blink its tall and has large frame body but kinda skinny almost looks like a small dog we also found a wild rabbit over the summer that had a paw print in its back and a bad bite to it neck but we see this cat from time to time i guess it’s somone cat that might of move away or just a ferlcat its one that if you see it you might let a couple bad words in suprise of the size of it other than its ok but anyways brett these photo’s you are cool keep it up and anyone in that area make sure to keep your small pets in at night and don’t leave food dish’es out at night even if there kinda empty

• Brett says:

Checked out the link you provided, fascinating information-Thanks.

The average distance covered in a night’s hunting is 2.5 mi (4.0 km) according to the additional site link below at: