School District Asking Community to ‘Imagine Highline’ at Two Public Forums
The Highline School District is seeking “parents, students, community members, and staff at all levels of the school district … to imagine what Highline can be and set lofty goals for our schools as we work together to build a new strategic plan over the coming months.”
The district is asking residents to participate in two Community Focus Group meetings, which have been scheduled for:
- Monday, February 25: Mount View Elementary School, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Thursday, February 28: Midway Elementary School, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
“I want everyone to dream big. We are working together to create the future we want for our schools,” said Superintendent Susan Enfield. “We don’t have to be satisfied with incremental improvements. Let’s go for game-changers!” The strategic plan will set the direction and guide the work of the district over the next three years. The purpose of the plan is to get people, processes and programs on the same page, moving in the same direction. It will:
- Clarify the district’s goals for student learning and achievement.
- Outline the roadmap for accomplishing the goals.
- Mobilize leadership and action toward the goals.
- Incorporate the input of staff, parents and community members.
The Core Planning Team of about 45 people represents employee groups, community organizations, parents, and other major stakeholders. This team has primary responsibility for developing the strategic plan with input from the broader community.
In the weeks ahead, there will be many opportunities to get involved in the process, including community meetings, surveys, social media sites, and online discussions.
“All voices count,” Enfield added. “We are open to all points of view, and we will provide many opportunities for people to be heard.”
Input will be gathered over the next several months. A final plan is expected to go to the school board for approval by June.
Here are links to resources to learn more about the strategic planning process:
- Overview of strategic planning work
- Strategic planning process
- Community engagement in strategic planning.