City of Burien Wins Award for its Comprehensive Annual Financial Report

The City of Burien announced on its website Wednesday (Feb. 6) that it won a ‘Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting’ by the Government Finance Officers Association of the U.S. and Canada for its comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR).

“The Certificate of Achievement is the highest form of recognition in the area of governmental accounting and financial reporting, and its attainment represents a significant accomplishment by a government and its management,” reads a note on the website.

The award was presented to Burien Accounting Manager Gary Coleman, who was responsible for preparing the CAFR.

The city adds:

The CAFR was judged by an impartial panel to meet the high standards of the program including demonstrating a constructive “spirit of full disclosure” to clearly communicate its financial story and motivate potential uss and user groups to read the CAFR,.

The GFOA is a nonprofit professional association serving approximately 17,500 government finance professionals with offices in Chicago and Washington, D.C.

Comments

8 Responses to “City of Burien Wins Award for its Comprehensive Annual Financial Report”
  1. Fred says:

This award was given by another one of these professional organizations where the members of the group nominate themselves for their own awards. I’m not sure who Burien has shown transparency in their finances to but it certainly has not been the citizens of Burien.

2. TcB says:

Lol! I guess if the facts stare you in the face then reject them, and make your own reality.

• John Poitras says:

Regardless of the reality TcB you are going to come down on the side of Mike Martin. You always do.. I work in finance so I realize this is as stated by Fred, a bogus award where the fox pats the hens on the back..Btw do you work for the city or contract with the city? What IS your connection with Mike Martin?

• TcB says:

I don’t have a connection, however, you have a history with him…he came from California a few years ago which, I understand, is where you’re from, (you moved here in 2005?) and where you still hold residence.
        As far as Mike Martin goes, I really don’t know a lot of what the city manager does, except for working with the contractors for the big city projects like sidewalks, and infrastructure.

It would be such a boring story if you weren’t here to constantly suggest conspiracies.

They make for good copy though, I gotta admit. You do seem to be a good liberal so I gotta give you props. But your head is way too full of who is conspiring with whom.

3. Shari says:

John, Fred, et al…. c’mon you guys. Let’s not mix up accounting and audits with politics here. Really, you guys, c’mon. This is recognition from a credible professional association and I’m thinking that the only kind of recognition that matters is the kind that comes from people with expertise in that area (like credible professional associations). I’m so not Pollyanna, but seriously, you guys, please: can we not distinguish anything from politics and do we have to throw the hard work and skill of our chief financial officer under the bus in order to, by association, hurt his boss? I’m so not a Pollyanna nor am I “in finance,” but I treasure a skilled CFO and man, my hat’s off to the finance team for Burien on this one. Congrats.

• John Poitras says:

The problem Shari is with transparency.. Burien is NOT a public or even private corporation … You are comparing apples and oranges because corporations are subject to much different much more rigorous audits.. Its a City Government.. Having a background in financial audits I am very very familiar with the difference.. Bottom line is we are currently in the red.. MANY of the reasons for that are POLITICAL because no money is spent in Burien without Mike Martins stamp on it.. This is not an award for the ACCOUNTING MANAGER.. which btw is a far cry from being a CFO.. All he did was prepare the annual report.. Why the money was spent and if it needed to be spent was never part of this report.. Its a report prepared by the folks working for the person that would be subject to a real financial audit if it was an actual business or corporation. The criteria as I mentioned are totally different and I am just saying that this is just another example of Mike Martin tooting his own horn and manufacturing credit where in fact very little credit is due.. In fact as has been repeatedly mentioned on this blog he operates with almost no oversight whatsoever from the council who if they did their job could call for more rigorous analysis of how and where our tax money is spent. How many hundreds of thousands of dollars of tax dollars were wasted on promoting annexation? That information has not been made public. So far they have not asked Martin for financials on this failed endeavor and is unlikely they ever will > That’s why they need to be voted out of office and replaced by representatives that will put the people first instead of kow towing to the current city manager who imo needs to be replaced as soon as possible, regardless of the empty PR campaign he seems to be continually running to make himself look good.

4. mike says:

I’m sooo glad we chose to keep martin & co. over there in Burien. Unbelievable that all the smoke and mirrors and non-transparency that they would even consider burien as a candidate for this award. Obviously CAFR has no idea of the shenanigans that go on over there. what a joke. Voting out the council that backs martin would be a good start, then get rid of martin.