Our ‘Up from the Ashes’ Fundraiser Raised Over $6,500 for Fire Victims!
Our “Up from the Ashes” fundraiser for the victims of the Jan. 28 Tra-Lee Apartment fire raised over $6,500 – and we’re still counting donations – Saturday night (Feb. 16) at Bison Creek Pizza, and for that we’d like to give a huge THANKS to our great, generous and caring community!
Organized by a great group of volunteers, including Becci Harrison of Surgz Promotions, Renatta Emerson, Pam Fernald and The B-Town Blog team, with live music donated by Lark vs Owl and The Ambaum Brothers Band (featuring King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg with John Rankin, Bob Eaton, Bill Mattocks, Tom Pratt, and Fred Staples), the place was packed with generous people enjoying great food, music, a silent auction and raffle and much more.
Two victims of the fire spoke through a translator, and shared their emotional gratitude to the full house. Other victims – many of them children – were present as well, enjoying free pizza from our generous host Bison Creek, which also donated 10% of the entire day’s receipts (for a total of $338) to the cause.
All proceeds will go directly to the six most affected families of the 3-alarm fire – most of whom lost everything they own! Thankfully there were no fatalities or injuries from the blaze, which was started by a faulty baseboard heater that was apparently stuck on high (read our previous coverage here).
Other notes of interest:
- A “SeaTac City Santa” – who wishes to remain anonymous – personally donated over $2,700!
- Burien Nissan donated $1,000.
- Burien/Normandy Park firefighters brought a fire truck and stopped in to say hi.
- Johnathan Letcher, the Principal of Hazel Valley Elementary, where many of the affected kids go to school, thanked the crowd and volunteers for their generosity.
- Burien City Councilmember Jack Block Jr. was there, as was Des Moines Mayor Dave Kaplan.
- At least three Seattle TV News crews were there covering the event.
Here are photos taken at the event by Michael Brunk (click images to see larger versions/slideshow):
THANKS TO OUR TEAM OF VOLUNTEERS:
- Main Organizer Becci Harrison of Surgz Promotions
- Renatta Emerson of Renatta Emerson Events
- Pan Fernald, Co-Chair, Neighbors Without Borders Action Committee, SeaTac City Councilmember
- Isuzu Niizuma, family liaison for Hazel Valley Elementary School
- Gina Bourdage of Discover Burien
- Andrea Reay
- Scott Schaefer, Theresa Schaefer, Mark Neuman and Michael Brunk of The B-Town Blog, which conceived the event
THANKS TO OUR EVENT SPONSORS:
- Bison Creek Pizza, host http://
- Frenzi, which is still accepting donations
- Roadrunner Print & Copy http://
- Tastefully Simple Party:MYSTERY HOST ONLINE PARTY 50% of profits are being donated to fire victims! https://www.facebook.com/
- Tukwila Pet Hospital
- Tukwila&SeaTac: Neighbors Without Borders Action Committee.(NWOBAC)
- RRR Consulting & Publishing http://robinrobbins.com/
- OptiMark Eyecare https://www.facebook.com/
- Tin Room Bar http://www.tinroombar.com/
- Angelo’s (Burien) http://
- Zenith Holland Gardens http://
- Wag the Dog Doggie Day Care http://
- Hi-Line Auto Electric http://
- Seattle Marathon http://
- West Seattle Runner http://
- Kerry Smith Art http://kerrysmith-art.com/
- Elliot Bay Brewery (Burien) http://
- Zippy’s Giant Burgers http://
- Handyman for day Gift Certificate $300 Value
- 3.14 Bakery : White Center http://
- SuperCuts: Burien www.supercuts.com
- Meander’s Kitchen White Center 9635 16th Ave SW (between S Delridge Way & 98th St) Seattle, WA 98106
- Hi Lane Lanes www.hilanelanes.com
YOU CAN STILL HELP: If you missed this great event, but still want to lend a hand, here’s how:
DONATE CASH TO THE FIRE VICTIMS FUND:
- We have set up an account for victims at BECU – just drop into any branch and ask to donate to the “Up from the Ashes Fire Victims” fund.
DONATE CLOTHING, TOYS OR OTHER ITEMS:
- To donate tangible items to families, like clothing, diapers, toys, etc. please drop into Frenzi at 218 SW 153rd in Burien (phone: 206-243-9000).
PARTICIPATE IN A MYSTERY HOST ONLINE PARTY:
- Tastefully Simple Party: MYSTERY HOST ONLINE PARTY – 50% of profits are being donated to fire victims! https://www.facebook.com/