Learn How to Keep Backyard Chickens at Burien Community Center March 19

Imagine having chickens in your own backyard!

Burien Parks & Recreation can help you turn that idea into a reality at their upcoming “Keeping Backyard Chickens” workshop on Tuesday, March 19 from 6 – 8 p.m. at the Burien Community Center.

Unique pets, abundant eggs, rich compost, sustainable living — more people every day are discovering the many joys of chicken keeping.

“Join us for this fun, informative class,” reads an announcement. “Learn whether chickens are right for you, and how to get started — even if you have a small yard. Find out about care, feeding, and housing needs. See displays. Hear from an experienced chicken keeper. Walk away with helpful resources.”

Here are the details:

WHAT: Keeping Backyard Chickens

WHEN: March 19, 2013, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.

WHERE: Burien Community Center, 14700 6th Ave SW.

REGISTER: $9; call Burien Parks & Recreation: 206-988-3700.

Comments

24 Responses to “Learn How to Keep Backyard Chickens at Burien Community Center March 19”
  1. Linda says:

Burien is NOT a rural community. Been there and done that elsewhere.

Chickens unless meticulously kept, generate a lot of chicken manure releasing a very unpleasant STINK for the neighbors and anything is better than a rooster crowing and waking everyone up at 4 AM in the morning.

This is NOT an activity I would expect the city to be encouraging.

• Chris says:

So, you can only have chickens in rural communities?

The City of Burien allows up to three fowl and/or rabbits TOTAL. For obvious reasons roosters are not allowed. (all articulated in city code)

And good thing the city is offering a class on raising chickens. That way they can teach people the proper way to handle and raise chickens, and to ensure they are taking all the steps to maintain a clean environment.

Good job Burien. Now change the code to allow up to five. Most people I know have around 4-5 anyways.

• Linda says:

Go to PCC market they have plenty of great eggs or buy free ranging chicken eggs from Fred Meyer because in the long run its much more cost effective and the difference in the taste is minimal.
        Unless you want to keep them as pets which frankly is an odd choice of pet to me.
        They are raptors, merciless to the poor chicken at the bottom of the pecking order and cannibals if given the opportunity.

If most people you know have 5 chickens then they are in violation of city code and just because someone knows that they need to keep a clean environment does not mean they will be a good householder. Unfortunately its the neighbors that end up being the victims of abused chickens that create unsanitary smelly poop and whose feed attracts rats. Not an activity I want to see encouraged in an urban environment.

• wanker says:

Linda – I could not agree more. I don’t understand this latest Hipster trend of backyard chickens. Be prepared to hear a lot of “I raised chickens in my backyard before it was cool” in the near future.

• Chris says:

Lol…me thinks you have your social factions mixed up. A true hipster would never get their hands dirty raising chickens!

2. othersideofthetracks says:

Who said anything about a rooster????

3. Lisa says:

interesting… our neighborhood has lots of chickens and I am very excited to finally get some this spring. I have heard of no complaints from neighbors whatsoever… they are wonderful additions to the character of a neighborhood

• Linda says:

Have to agree to disagree.. They attract rats especially if they are free ranging which is healthier for them.

4. TcB says:

It’s a good thing no one caught on to the goats around town for this article…
    We are in a Sub Urban environment, one that has been around for over 100 years, not one that has just been created out of whole cloth like “The Landing” that some of you love so much.
    Kirks Feed (now, whatever, can’t remember the name) has sold chicks and hay and feed since before I was born.
    If you’ve lived here for any period of time then chickens should really not be a big deal. the City of Seattle (far more Urban) allows Chickens, why shouldn’t we?

5. Linda says:

I am not arguing about allowing them or not. They are allowed.
    I am just saying if you decide to get some chickens what are the downsides.
    I thought I made that pretty clear I really don’t understand your confusion.

6. Linda says:

Actually I’m not. You just need to listen more carefully.

7. TcB says:

“Burien is NOT a rural community.

Chickens generate a lot of unpleasant STINK for the neighbors

This is NOT an activity I would expect the city to be encouraging.

Unfortunately its the neighbors that end up being the victims

Have to agree to disagree..

They attract rats ”

Yes, Linda, you are a model of even handedness. I’m sure you didn’t realize what you were actually trying to promote? Perhaps you didn’t understand that you were about 2 posts away from a petition to ban chickens?

• Linda says:

Dear Censor TcB:

I am not promoting anything, I am just offering my considered opinion. I thought thats what blogs were for?
      I am not trying to write a thesis or try and be even handed. I am sorry that annoys you.

Obviously for some reason my opinions have got your goat and for some strange reason you have decided to take it personally?
      Maybe you need to try and find some activity other than trolling here and finding people to attack. Take a deep breath and chill honey.

8. TcB says:

This is a simple story. The city of Burien is teaching people how to raise chickens.

This sent you into a rage, and you posted a number of times decrying that the city was teaching people how to raise chickens, and that they attract rats, and they’re terrible for neighbors, et.

I pointed out that it was not a big deal.

You then stated that you were simple trying to point out some issues, and discounted your entire post history.

I posted your post history.

You called me a troll.

9. Linda says:

TcB Lets sum up shall we. I am not obsessive compulsive enough to quote your post history but I will sum up as this is the end of me wasting my time on feeding your psychological baiting.

You like chickens and see promoting them in backyards is a good thing.

I disagree. Chicken feed often attracts rats and thats a known fact. They CAN create an unsanitary condition and bad smell for your neighbors also a no brainer.

If I want organic eggs I will buy them as it’s much more convenient and cost effective.
    People are free to have them as pets, if thats what they want to do there is nothing I can or plan to do about that.

I am putting on you ignore.
    You apparently need to have the last word in everything.
    From what I can see you are the only one here with anger management issues.

• jimmy says:

well can we get jonh’s view on this or may’s seem i little odd that we don’t see ether of them posting on this hmm

• TcB says:

Well Linda Cutkomp lives with John so the view is the same from either.

• John Poitras says:

Whatever my view is Jimmy or whatever your real name is.. I have no doubt that it is the opposite of yours.
        Interesting that you do not even weigh in with what your view is, which confirms your continuing your agenda which is to stalk anyone who was against annexation rather than addressing the subject under discussion.
        It’s also a litte disturbing that an NHUAC groupie who does not even live in Burien is continually trolling ths blog and flaming people who do.

• May says:

The city council should say “turn your idea into a nightmare” WHY?
        Someone said.chickens attract rats. Of course this is what your burien council wants. They want you to have rats in your back yard,,Why?

It distracts you and keeps you busy at home instead of focusing on the “rats on the burien council.

• TcB says:

Projection.

10. TcB says:

Go tell it on the mountain,
    Over the hills and everywhere.
    Go tell it on the mountain,
    To set my chickens free!