REMINDER: ‘CSI: Highline’ Season Finale Presentation will be Mon./Wed.
The “CSI: Highline” Season Finale public presentations on findings from the Community Salmon Investigation (CSI) for Highline will be held this coming Monday night, March 11, from 6 – 8 p.m. at the Burien Community Center, and again Wednesday night, March 13 at The Cove.
The same presentation will be repeated both nights.
“The exceptional scientific endeavor of over 29 volunteers last fall gives us a better understanding of adult salmon returns to Miller and Walker Creeks, which drain Burien, SeaTac, and Normandy Park,” reads an announcement. “From October through December, volunteers navigated water high and low to count living fish and find dead ones for measurement and investigation of spawning success.”
Each “season finale” will feature:
- The CSI: Highline program – who participated, how they surveyed
- Final population estimates for chum and coho salmon in two local streams
- How many coho died before spawning, and why
- Photos and videos
- Unexpected findings – things exciting and strange
- Overview of key factors affecting salmon health in the streams: stormwater volumes, water quality, streamside vegetation
- How you can participate this fall
“We’ll also have a brief “thank you” ceremony for the 2012 volunteers at the March 13 event,” they add. “Whether you want to know more about the Highline environment or are interested in volunteering for the 2013 survey season, this season finale is not to be missed!”
Monday, March 11, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Burien Community Center, Manhattan Room
14700 6th Avenue SW, Burien
Wednesday, March 13, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Normandy Park Community Club (The Cove)
1500 SW Shorebrook Drive, Normandy Park
The same presentation will be given both days.
Light refreshments provided.
For more information, contact Elissa Ostergaard, Miller/Walker Creek Basin Steward, at (206) 296-1909 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.