LETTER: ‘I am concerned that our young children are being over tested’

[EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is a Letter to the Editor, written by a Reader. It does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The B-Town Blog nor its staff:]

Dear B-Town Blog Editor,

I am a concerned parent in the Highline School District! My concern? The excessive amount of tests, affectionately called assessments in our district; my fourth grader will have taken thirteen major test upon completion of the fourth grade. Yes! You heard that right thirteen tests. I am concerned that our young children are being over tested. I feel that this takes a lot of time from the teacher’s ability to teach and educate our students. Don’t we want to strive to produce well rounded; creative students not just test takers? I am sure I am not alone in this many parents feel their child is merely a “lab rat” for the district and the testing companies. Let’s be honest the testing companies are making a lot of money from all the “great” assessments they are pushing on our schools. We need to start raising our voices and say enough! All kids deserve to have a quality, well rounded, equitable education!

Sincerely,
Anne Reed
Concerned Parent

[Have an opinion or concern you’d like to share with our 70–90,000+ monthly Readers? Please send us your Letter to the Editor via email. Include your full name, please remain civil and, pending our review, we’ll most likely publish it.]

Comments

6 Responses to “LETTER: ‘I am concerned that our young children are being over tested’”
  1. Bill says:

I might worry instead that the Highline School District is ranked 164th out of 216 school districts in Washington State.

2. Coverofnight says:

I agree with Anne and I agree with Bill…….wonder what our $ 200,000+ Superintendent has to say about these issues!

• shari says:

We could ask her; she holds regular office hours specifically for community members with questions, i think.

3. Carol Morrison says:

The link above is where you can post all your great ideas for changing our school district. You can also attend the community meeting April 3rd at Highline High School at 6pm to voice all your concerns & visions for a better school district 🙂

4. Nathan says:

Honestly, I’d be more concerned for your child’s health. Asbestos in the walls, mold on the lunches… This district has bigger problems.
    Breeders. >.>

5. Dee says:

Here is a new test. The district has begun IQ testing first and second grade students using computers. It is being done to figure out who to put into challenge programs. However all scores are linked to each student’s ID number, a record which follows them. Is this ethical?