REMINDER: Today – Saturday, May 11 – is the day that Mail Carriers will be collecting food donations at residents’ mailboxes in order to provide assistance to local food banks!
According to Highline Area Food Bank Director Mike Werle, this is one of the bigger – and most effective – local food drives in the region.
All you have to do is leave food in one of the bags left at your mailbox sometime in the next week.
Here are more facts:
- The Stamp Out Hunger food drive is a nationwide effort that provides food to local food banks and pantries. Food banks across the country continue to experience record demand for emergency food assistance, especially in the summer months when children are out of school.
- The nation’s 175,000 letter carriers will collect food donations left at the mailboxes of generous Americans in more than 10,000 communities and deliver them to food banks and other hunger-relief organizations.
- Celebrating its 21st anniversary this year, the Stamp Out Hunger food drive is the nation’s largest single-day food drive, having collected more than one billion pounds of food since its inception in 1993. In 2012, generous Americans donated more than 70 million pounds of food, which marked the ninth consecutive year that at least 70 million pounds were collected.
- Nick Cannon, multi-talented entertainer and member of the Feeding America Entertainment Council , is the national spokesperson for the Stamp Out Hunger food drive for the third consecutive year. The drive particularly hits home for Cannon, who experienced hunger and relied on food pantries as a child.
Wonder what foods are great to donate to the food drive? Here are a few non-perishable food items requested by food banks:
- Canned fruits and vegetables
- Canned meals such as soups, chili, pasta
- 100% juice
- Peanut butter
- Pasta sauce or spaghetti sauce
- Macaroni & cheese
- Canned protein – tuna, chicken, turkey
- Beans – canned or dry
For more information about the annual Stamp Out Hunger food drive, visit www.helpstampouthunger.com  or www.facebook.com/StampOutHunger , and follow the food drive at www.twitter.com/StampOutHunger .Facebook Twitter Subscribe