Joey Martinez officially declares candidacy for Burien City Council Seat #7

Joey Martinez shakes former Burien City Councilmember Gordon Shaw’s hand at a 2012 B-Town Blog Candidate Forum. Photo by Scott Schaefer.

Joey Martinez, who unsuccessfully ran for Burien City Council last year – losing against Gordon Shaw and Bob Edgar in the primary – on Monday (May 13) officially declared his candidacy for city council seat #7, the one that will be vacated by Mayor Brian Bennett.

Up for grabs this election year are four available seats; each is for a four-year term beginning January 2014:

• Position 1 (incumbent: Jack Block, Jr.)
  • Position 3 (incumbent: Joan McGilton)
  • Position 5 (incumbent: Rose Clark)
  • Position 7 (incumbent: Brian Bennett)

The Primary election will be Aug. 6, 2013, and the General election will be Nov. 5, 2013.

Martinez joins just two other officially-announced candidates (as per the Public Disclosure Commission):

And these still-not officially filed candidates:

The deadline to file to run is May 17; more details, including how to apply online, are here.

As usual, The B-Town Blog will be holding Candidate Forums over the coming months, so be sure to check back often – these are great opportunities to come listen, ask questions and decide on who you want to represent you in local government.

What’s Martinez’ platform for 2013? Here’s his full press release:

Together, Building a better Burien.

33 year old Burien Resident Joey Martinez has filed for Burien City Council seat number 7. The seat is currently filled by Brian Bennett, who has decided not to run for re-election. Bennett has endorsed Martinez for the seat.

Martinez has been married since 1999 to Jackie Martinez and has two boys, both of whom attend Highline Public Schools. Martinez has volunteered for both of his boys sports teams in one way or another all their lives. He’s spent the last two years volunteering with the Burien Bearcats, first as an assistant coach then as the Head Coach for one of the teams.

Martinez has worked for Seattle City Light since 2007 and was recently promoted as supervisor to a new business unit within City Light IT. Martinez has also worked for the city of Auburn from 2001-2005.

Martinez was born in East Los Angeles, California and is a 1st generation Mexican-American on his mother’s side and 3rd generation on his fathers side. Joey is fluent in both English and Spanish, and Spanish is actually his first language.

Says Joey, “I am looking forward to working with you to Build a better Burien! Together, we can accomplish much if we stick together. My life experience as a father has taught me to be firm and patient, as a husband to listen and care, as a son to always work to improve myself, and as a friend to always be there. As a Burien Planning Commissioner I have also learned to think 20 years into the future and have come to see that actions taken today can impact us for generations.

Spending time both in and out of the public sector has prepared me to help us all Build a better Burien by learning what does and does not work in government. I have learned that government is of the people, for the people, and by the people and when we stick together and work together we can accomplish almost anything.

Burien is a great place to live, however, we’ve got a bum rap in the media. Every time you hear Burien in the news it is about an apartment fire or a shooting. When you hear about our kids they sound out of control.

With your help, I’d like to work with our police department and give them the tools needed to tackle our issues. Working with you I want to give our youth more to do. More activities so they don’t get in trouble. More activities so they take pride in our community. And more activities so they can succeed in life.

If we can work together to accomplish these two items I believe it will go a long way to Building a better Burien. These two issues we need to tackle together are a major impediment to our future success in Building that better Burien.

There are many other issues I’d like to work on with you, like Storm Water issues and business retention, however I feel the policing and youth issues are the most pressing and needed to help solve our economic development problems.

My name is Joey Martinez and I humbly ask for your vote.”

Joey Martinez – Candidate for Burien City Council

Comments

23 Responses to “Joey Martinez officially declares candidacy for Burien City Council Seat #7”
  1. May says:

“….My name is Joey Martinez and I humbly ask for your vote.”—-

My name is May and I humbly ask you to remove yourself. You have no qualifications to run a city. And anyone that is in the “group” that Brian Bennett is from will never ever ever get my vote.

There must be a reason why Bennett endorsed you. Its interesting Bennett will remove himself and by endorsing you, his saga will continue….and that is a Huge NO NO.
    Burien does not deserve this. See I think ahead just like you and the future of Burien does not deserve this. What we do need to do is Clean up Dirty Politics.

• Really? says:

May, you do realize that Mr. Martinez has the right to run for office, just as you have the right to oppose him and not vote for him? Asking him to please step down is just hyperbole.

• May says:

So Joey Martinez was sent to this workforce by Scott Greenberg (he is the one that ignored the paper work for the Westmark project that cost Burien 10Million) . Money money and more money.

Dow Constantine, Wallace, Dunn, Carl Pollard, Scott Greenberg, Brian Bennett and Joey Martinez. and the list goes on.

Lochshire condo is a condo where Scott Greenberg used to live. King County Dept of Assessmebt #4387000680

This condo was build by Carl Pollard, VP Kent Angier and Erika Thomas. Brian Bennett should know who Carl Pollard is because his relative Darla Bennett used to live in an Apt build by him.
        Lochshire Condo is managed by Norman McCue (the corrupt Management company)

They all know and work together in Real Estate.

2. Coverofnight says:

Energy prices have decreased, yet Seattle City Light is raising rates 4.4% for 2013 and 5.6% for 2014; and Joey gets, “…promoted as supervisor to a new business unit within City Light IT.” One can only imagine how he’d crunch the numbers to “build a better Burien”……that’s why he’s known as “Joey Moretaxes”!

3. othersideofthetracks says:

Thats quite the obsession you have with Joey there con man.
    You seem to always something to say about him.
    Almost borders on stalking doesn`t it? *lol*

• May says:

Someone must be pretty uneducated and know nothing to not speak out about things that are going on on this council..Sweeping things under the carpet just makes things worse because sooner or later things always show. Dirt always shows.

• Jennifer says:

May perhaps you should run…

• onemoretime says:

Jennifer,
          Even though all of us (except may of course) know you are being sarcastic please don`t
          give her any ideas, sheesh, you think the council is doing a bad job now, could you imagine her in there. Everybody would need a language expert just to figure out what shes trying to say.

• May says:

Onemoretime…………..

What are you trying to say? …………maybe that Jennifer is a B.E.A.C.H
            Can you repeat ONemoretime. I really have a hard time figuring out what you are saying.

• TcB says:

May,
        Could you please mention the names of the people who are running (or even who you want to run) that you want us to vote for? Remember we need 6 names. Who should we support O great Oracle? None of the above? Then please make it clear to us, for we hang on your every word as guidance from…. from….
        from a blog.

• May says:

Jennifer and TcB………….

Not Joey Martinez and really the rest is none of your business.

• TcB says:

You’re making me want to cancel out your “no” vote May…

I can’t see anything so far that would make me say “never” to Joey. Of course further research is needed. Can you tell me anything about Joey that would make me think he is unfit?

I will not consider if he “knows” anyone.
            I will not consider anyone who has made up a special name for him.

Give me something real please.

4. VERY TIRED says:

*shakes head*

5. Mary says:

Anyone that pushed for the annexation of white center and thinks that Mike Martin is doing a good job as city manager has two strikes against them from the get go in my book.

Its also a long way to November.

6. Seahurst Relic says:

My family has resided in Burien since 1938, I love this community and am concerned for it’s future. If Mr.Martinez is elected to the Burien City Council my feelings will go from concerned to panicked. Please, as a long time resident of this community, I implore of you, DO NOT ELECT MR. MARTINEZ to the Burien City Council. He is bad for Burien.

7. May says:

TcB and Jennifer

Have you made your donation yet against the Westmark project? Just think about it.. all these trees are being cut down for the sake of a thick wallet. Your wallets must be included in that.

and Onemoretime…I hope you understand this. Maybe your uneducated and need to get back to school.

• Onemoretime says:

May,
      I really feel rather sad for you,
      What does making a donation against the Westmark project have to do with the subject at hand? Oh wait, I know, you are trying to distract from you babbling rhetoric.
      Seems the only one that doesn`t understand is you.

• May says:

…….can you please repeat onemoretime. Give it up you will never win with me. I am to smart. And have you donated? you must favor cutting down all these trees in favor of a thick wallet. The truth is they don’t care about anyone except themselves. Mike Martin and Brian Bennett, Joey Martinez, Rose Clark and and and and need to give it up and leave town.

8. Fred says:

I have just finished reading through Joey’s PDC reports and his responses to the 34th Dems about why they should endorse him. His responses were disappointing but predictable. He clearly knows little to nothing about the Westmark issue but claims this is one of his big environmental issues in his campaign. He clearly has no idea of what the Burien govt. can and can’t do about this project. He is talking off the top of his head and he doesn’t understand what the real environmental problems are in Burien

Joey’s other responses to the 34th Dems questions are as if they came dircetly out of Mike Martin’s mouth. They are the same reponses Mike gave about his pet Kids and Cops project and Mike’s same answers given during his annexation pitch talks. It’s unclear whether Joey or Mike Martin are speaking. Joey is a 33rd Dems so why is he spending all of his time paling around with the 34th Dems?

If you are looking for a change on the Council and how it works, don’t support Joey. Look at his donors on his PDC site. Brian Bennett and Joan McGilton are his donors and expect him to continue to be their mouth piece. From what the public records show, it looks like Joey will just be more of the same old Hole in the Head Gang and how they operate.

Lastly, it’s questionable about how much Joey’s could have learned as a Planning Commissioner because the Planning Commission has cancalled 58% of its scheduled meetings in the last 13 months. Joey has only been on the Planning Commission for 13 months. I doubt that he has learned to vision into the future on that reduced schedule of work. If you want change to the Burien Council, don’t support this candidate.

• Joey Martinez says:

Fred you never have liked me haven’t you. ;-)

I’ll let the chips fall where they may with your statements except one. Brian and Joan have contributed $400 to my campaign – combined.

Picking and choosing what you want to report…. Same ole’ Fred!

Through hard work, I’ve raised over $9,000 for the primary. Many MANY little checks. :-)

That’s the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

And I’m out! I now resume my silence on the blog.

Joey Martinez

• May says:

That’s the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
        And I’m out! I now resume my silence on the blog.
        Joey Martinez

Wow…Still waters run deep. I don’t even want to see how deep.

• TbC says:

” I now resume my silence on the blog.”

What’s the matter Joey? Afraid to let us low lifes on the blog Know your positions on matters important to us? What about CARES? Mike Martins performance? How about code enforcement? Don’t forget Mays’ conspiracy therories (Just kidding on that one).

Your announcement was pretty generic with no real platform. Looks like you have been tutored well. Keep hangin with JJ and Ivan and the gang of four and you will be on your way to a life membership in their little club. Good luck.

9. Mary says:

Joey

One thing I have noticed about you is that you try your hardest NOT to answer the hard questions. You prefer to predicate like many career politico’s.

I challenge you to go on record and answer a couple of pertinent questions.

A Yes or No will suffice.

1) Do you think Mike Martin is doing a good job?

2) Would you support another attempt by the city of Burien to annex white center?