Debi Wagner files to run for Burien City Council Position #3

DebiWagner13

Debi Wagner officially filed to run for Burien City Council, Position #3, where she will face incumbent Joan McGilton, Andrea Reay and Robert Richmond III.

Wagner, a longtime local activist and Author, has 35 years of business experience in accounting and management. She was also endorsed by Burien’s first Mayor, Arun Jhaveri, who said:

“It’s time to reform Burien city government, make it accountable, transparent and responsive,” she said on her website. “Citizens need to be heard. This isn’t happening with the current council majority. Public safety needs to be a top priority along with jump starting our local economy. Burien’s businesses need to be revitalized and new ones need to be recruited. Environmental protection and Town Square need to be an important part of Burien’s planning. With years of experience in financial management and environmental issues, I have the knowledge and skills to guide Burien during these critical economic times.”

Wagner joins 12 other candidates running in the 2013 council election:

• Council Position No. 1: Jack Block Jr. (incumbent), Lauren Berkowitz, Kip Walton
  • Council Position No. 3: Andrea H. Reay, Joan McGilton (incumbent), Robert L. Richmond III, Wagner
  • Council Position No. 5: Nancy Tosta, Len Boscarine, Rose Clark (incumbent)
  • Council Position No. 7: Chuck Rangel, Joey Martinez, Steve Armstrong

The Primary election will be Aug. 6, and the General election will be Nov. 5.

Here’s her statement:

My name is Debi Wagner and I’m running for Burien City Council Position #3. I would like to tell you a little about who I am and why I’m running.

I believe it’s time to reform Burien city government, make it accountable, transparent and responsive. Citizens need to be heard. This isn’t happening with the current council majority. Public safety needs to be a top priority along with jump starting our local economy. Burien’s businesses need to be revitalized and new ones need to be recruited. Environmental protection and Town Square need to be an important part of Burien’s planning. With years of experience in financial management and environmental issues, I have the knowledge and skills to guide Burien during these critical economic times.

Many times I have spoken as a strong citizen advocate before the Burien City Council on important city issues such as; the costs to Burien of the proposed annexation of area Y/White Center, the lack of a badly needed City business plan, the unwillingness of the council to allow citizen advisory votes on annexation, wards, Town Square and forms of government for the city. I believe we need to get back to the business of Burien, stop pointing fingers at others for blame and work together for positive change.

In recommending me for the city council, Burien’s founding First Mayor and co-author of “Carbon Reduction – Policies, Strategies and Technologies” Arun Jhaveri said: “I have known Debi for many years, as a passionate and dedicated Community Leader, working in the areas of Environment, Education, Fiscal Policies, Children Causes, and Sustainability. As a wife, mother, and champion of local issues, she has demonstrated her leadership qualities of vision, integrity, diplomacy, communication, coordination, accountability, and transparency.”
My husband and I are long time Burien residents – we love living in Burien. We chose to raise our family here because of the small town atmosphere. All of our children attended Highline schools. We support local businesses and participate in our community. I intend to preserve, sustain and enhance Burien’s assets. I would appreciate your vote and look forward to working with you in making Burien an even better place to live, work and play.

Please take the time to view my video and find out what I stand for in this election at: http://youtu.be/-CMl0rRGYGc

Please visit my web site at: friendstoelectdebiwagner.org

Any contribution would be greatly appreciated. Please write to me at:

Debi Wagner Campaign
P O Box 48208
Burien, WA 98148

Wish to volunteer, put up a campaign sign, send me a note at: [email protected]
Thank you.

Comments

42 Responses to “Debi Wagner files to run for Burien City Council Position #3”
  1. Fred says:

Debi-

Thank you for filing to run in this election. You can depend on my support.

• SD says:

Debi, I have appreciated the well researched editorial letters you’ve written over the years. My thanks to you for your past and continued involvement in our community. I think you’d make a great councilmember. You have my support and vote!

2. Chris says:

Everybody who runs always says the same thing, over and over again. “More transparancy!,” and “Increase Public Safety!” Or when it’s about the economy, “More jobs!” and “More businesses!”

It’s the same old boiler plate approach to politics. All of those things are truly important, and Burien specifically has to improve is some of those areas, but what I want is someone to show me their vision, and then present me with a plan with how they intend to execute said vision.

The same old talking points are just that–old. Give me something a little more inspirational and something I can get behind with vigor. Otherwise it’s the same crap that all candidates say.

• May says:

Chris—-> what I want is someone to show me their vision, and then present me with a plan with how they intend to execute said vision<—–

Ask Mike Martin and his friend Debra George (CARES). They will give you their vision of how to hire your friends for no bid contracts. I am sure Martin will give you a great plan.

• shari says:

I will also be listening for candidates who talk about the fundamental importance of building consensus in implementing their vision. A demonstrated track record of bringing disparate views together around a common plan for moving forward. Someone who knows the value of reasonable compromise and how to drive contentious groups to it. Someone who has demonstrated that s/he is more concerned with getting it right collectively than in being right individually. We can do better than strident, petulant argument and an adversarial winner/loser mindset among councilmembers….just because that’s what we’re getting at higher levels of government doesnt mean we have to settle for it locally. Passion, conviction and boldness are important…but so is consensus building. Thats the kind of leadership we need…not more of this endless game of Survivor.

• Chris says:

Thank you for what you just wrote. This is exactly what I’ve been talking about for years. Instead of the “Us vs. Them” model with a winner/loser, why not try and build consensus by objective–rather than positions. I do not want another councilmember who comes in with ONLY firm positions and a complete inability to bring all viewpoints together.

• May says:

Chris ——>I would love to see a council who comes together and works together as a team, and dispose of the individualistic and factionalized one we currently have.

You are so right again. Lets all work in real estate and come together and work as a team. Then everything will work just great. And we’ll have no problems.

• Chris says:

Very difficult for me to understand where you’re going with your reply. The thing about the real estate bit is mystifying.

• Jennifer says:

May, not everything is a conspiracy and a he/she knows so and so are friends or whatever so must be bad. Good lord! Give it a break! You border on defamation of character!

3. Mary says:

Go Debi..

Joan McGilton needs to retire. She pushed the annexation of white center and gave Mike Martin her support to spend hundreds of thousands of city tax dollars in this unpopular political power grab.
    I know you did your best to expose this unaffordable travesty for what it was.
    I also know you will vote against another attempt at annexation which I have no doubt Joan and her cronies are planning.
    With you on council there is also hope for animal services we can feel good about rather than what we have now.
    I know you will not support Mike Martins way of doing business like handing out no bid contracts to his supporters.

4. Marianne says:

Thank you Debi, you also have my support.

5. VERY TIRED says:

Frankly, I don’t support people who use buzz words like “environment” and “sustainability”. It means you are promoting the long debunked hoax of “Global Warming” or “Climate Change”, or whatever phrase of the week you people concoct to keep the meme going. You people lack a fundamental understanding of science, and think that using recycled cups and smearing on your “environmentally conscious” lipstick in the morning will absolve you of your “sins” in regards to the environment…which don’t exist.

In the real world, the Earth is getting by just fine without you.

I would love it if we actually had someone running that actually had some level of common sense, and didn’t sound like a list of talking points from the Democrat Party.

• Debi Wagner says:

Very Tired: I am sure some people use these words for political purposes and don’t really understand what is behind them. I am not one of those people. I have been very involved with the environment in this area for some time now. I helped co-found one of the largest environmental organizations in the US in 1998 – US-CAW. Since you brought up global warming did you know that the major producers of greenhouse gas emisisons in the state are transportation related and that Sea-Tac contributes 22% of the King County total? Behind each emission of CO2 in these sectors, aviation being the fastest growing sector in the world, there are a host of carcinogens. So each time you cut global warming emissions in these sectors, you are also reducing the potential for harm to exposed populations from carcinogens. This is non partisan. To further complicate your point about partisan environmental concerns, Bill O’Reilly believes global warming is real and Al Gore thinks aviation related CO2 is not a concern. Maybe your “science” is different. Will you provide more detail?

6. Flashdog says:

This is a happy, happy day! I too have greatly appreciated your carefully researched, factual letters to the Blog on local issues. After years of despair as I watched Mike Martin shepherd our apparently oblivious city council majority into one ridiculous disaster after another, I have great hope as I look at some of the candidates who are running for city council. I am especially encouraged at the thought of you helping to guide our city into good paths.

I remember when Burien was a friendly, happy place. There were numerous interesting places to shop in the downtown area. Nobody thought much about public safety — because they knew they were safe. The King County animal control officer assigned to this area was well known to everybody as a FRIEND who was there to find lost animals and keep the community safe from nuisance animals. I, for one, am completely tired of bleak, empty storefronts and having our city exploited as a means to fluff up Mike Martin’s resume’. I’m ready to go back to the joys of our old Burien, while adding new innovations for the present and future. Debi, I know you are one of the people who is capable of making that happen. There is screaming and cheering in our house this morning. I am headed for your website to volunteer….

• TcB says:

So Burien used to be a Utopia and now it’s a Ghost Town? Hmm, I remember (Since I grew up here) that Burien used to be Burien, and it’s still Burien. Hasn’t gone to ruin… It’s just changing, like it always has, like it always will.

• John Poitras says:

I think that what we are looking for in government is an ascending spiral of improvement. Accepting that change is going to happen is fine but doing something to ensure that change is managed so that basic services are maintained and improved is what evolution is all about.
        Mike Martin and his supporters on the council have consistently demonstrated they don’t understand this and they need to go..
        Burien needs government making choices that will move Burien in a direction that benefits all the residents.
        Fiscal responsibility; something we have not had for some time needs to return.
        Anyone who chooses to ignore that is not part of solution they are part of the problem. Apathy doesn’t do anyone any good. The old guard needs to go and a infusion of new blood is needed>> thats a no brainer!

• TcB says:

Burien came through the recession pretty well. We have low government expenditure on employees. I think they’ve done pretty good. Your agenda is a little bit of an enigma. I can’t understand how you preach for lower taxes and want to turn around and hand King County hundreds of extra dollars per person on Animal Control. Let’s fix what we have, it’s not irretrievable.

• John Poitras says:

Your agenda is an enigma Tcb.. Are you one person or an amalgam? You supported annexation and think Mike Martin is doing a fine job of running Burien. You think that CARES is great.. Are you applying for Joey (more taxes) Martinez’s campaign manager? You have made libelous defamatory remarks against me and other people on the blog that disagree with your views. Imo your credibility is zero and you are obviously thick with the current cronyism in city hall because you continually state that everything is Burien is just hunky dory. I disagree with you>> and I refuse to wear the blindfold you think everyone should be wearing because everything in Burien is NOT hunky dory and we need change. Now is the time and its blowing in the wind whether you like it or not.

• Flashdog says:

No, TcB, the Burien I found when I moved here more than 30 years ago was not “Utopia”, but in my opinion it definitely had more pluses than minuses. Many of the changes since then have been destructive — for example SeaTac airport’s 3rd runway wiping out a huge number of affordable, single family homes. That caused a large number of people (could read “customers for local businesses”) to move away and raised the housing costs for everyone who remained. We need the kind of leadership that can cope with that type of adversity instead of simply creating brand new problems. Burien presently has several problems it did not have when I first came here, for example, two large complexes of very nice retail/commercial spaces that have NEVER been rented to anybody. I thought the original Town Square idea was a good one, but it seems to have deteriorated into aimless muddling around and now we are hearing that the city council is thinking of just filling the unfinished, empty space with some apartments. Yes, I know they said “high end” apartments, but that is only until they sit empty for about 5 years and then we all know what will happen next. I disagree with you about Burien going to ruin. It is not there yet, but it could easily get there if we don’t get some capable leadership very soon.

• TcB says:

Hmm. A huge number of affordable houses destroyed? Well there were the houses in the Dead Zone, but they were moved out I think before you moved here. The third runway moved west and took out things like pumpkin patches and some large land lots, I don’t remember huge tracts of townhomes there.
          As far as our “empty” storefronts Burien has struggled with Southcenter since its inception and this is the real reason why its hard to keep shops on 152nd (I think that’s where all these “empty” storefronts (read: just waiting to be leased again, like they always are) come from. But are there really so may empty storefronts? I dare you to drive around all the commercial areas of Burien and come up with greater than 10% empty (and that’s even a stretch) All this chicken little stuff is just ridiculous.

7. Coverofnight says:

Debi, count me in with Fred, SD, May, Mary, Marianne, Debi Wagner (oh wait, that’s you), Flashdog, John Poitras and the hundreds of others that have been waiting for a real leader to step up to the plate and represent the voices/concerns that have been repeatedly ignored. I’ll help to spread the support on twitter (@burientiger) too!

Chris sure sounds like a Joey Moretaxes supporter; or maybe he’s just a “supporter”, if you know what I mean….!

8. Fred says:

To Chris-

This is what you have just said-“…but what I want is someone to show me their vision, and then present me with a plan with how they intend to execute said vision.”

Burien has a vision and a plan for how to execute it; it is called the Burien Comprehensive Plan. I suggest that you and some of the newly announced candidates take the time to find it and read it. The last thing we need in Burien is a new council member thinking they can write and execute their own vision and plan for Burien.

You always say that you have friends in City Hall feeding you information about the city, so I suspect you already know about this plan and are just playing the devil’s advocate to detract from Debi’s announcement. When the city staff and the council go rogue it is when they have ignored the Comp Plan as was happening with Town Square last year.

Now if you want a special exciting vision, I suggest that you eat some magic mushrooms and go to a sweat lodge. If you want to get behind something and push it, I have lots of compost that needs spreading in my yard and a good wheelbarrel to push it in. Bring Joey along to help with the work.

• Coverofnight says:

“Bring Joey along to help with the work.”

Nice one, Fred!

• Chris says:

Sorry brother–I simply don’t follow. I’m aware of the comp. plan, but I’m lost on the thing about “…friends in City Hall..” And detracting form Debi’s announcement? Not sure where you’re going with that either.

My response was merely pointing out that I get tired of the same talking points that most candidates convey. Just looking for a little more inspiration–that’s all.

• Chris says:

May, the BTB will likely delete your posts if you personally attack people or use derogatory names (like calling Debra George “Gorg”). That’s crossing the line when you do that and does not contribute to the discussion at all.

Try keeping it civil.

• Chris says:

BTB Editor, care to weigh in on yet another one of “May’s ” posts where she is personally attacking someone? Her IP address should be blocked.

And for the record, I do not know Debra George personally or on any level whatsoever. I do have a problem with posters like May who continue to draw the discussion down into personal attacks and name-calling.

• May says:

Chris—
            Have you donated to the lawyers of the Westmark project?…you know they want to cut down all the trees and friends want to develop the land so they can thicken up their wallets.

Wow Chris, you really have it out for me. Tell me what you support?. You might not think that but I am worried about you…you might want to try a chill pill.

• Jennifer says:

Thank you Chris! Like Chris I don’t know any of these people personally or professionally. I just feel as though if someone disagrees with you – you find it neccesary to attack and link us to people.

• May says:

Jennifer
              They depend on you. And since you care for Burien and love this town, you need to help out. And ask Chris and TcB to do the same.

And Jennifer, you chris and TcB attack me and I bite back. I want to know what you are supporting? You guys just talk about nothing. There are people on this blog that tell you what they stand for. That is for “the 4? to be removed. For Joey Martinez not replace Brian Bennett. For Mike Martin to be removed. The city of burien does not deserve this.

• TcB says:

May hasn’t the lawsuit with Westmark already gone down to defeat? Wasn’t this all really planned before Burien was a city? Didn’t it cost us like 10 million dollars or something? With all your research how come you’re not giving up all the information? Do you stand to make some money from this fund you keep talking about? What about your conspiracies May? Are you blowing all this smoke so we won’t notice?

I’ve been learning from your techniques May….

• Jennifer says:

Ok, I am not sure why you think everyone is out to scam others. I have lived in Burien basicly my entire life and have always loved this city. For you to imply that I do not care about my city you are wrong. This “my dear” is why I say you border on defamation of character. I feel Burien has changed alot since I was a kid and I have seen some amazing transformation in this community – is everything perfect? Absolutly not but, to continiue to link this person to that person is ridiculous and it is getting old. Apparently you don’t get how things work…In any industry you find people that know others in that praticular indsutry so give me a break….not every person is out to destroy things. (Well I guess if they aren’t on your side they are). Oh btw I don’t call it conspiracy you claim everything is a conspiracy. I don’t see any conspiracy happening. I like to look at all sides of an issue before I make an educated decision.

• betsy says:

“In any industry you find people that know others in that praticular indsutry” . Well besides the spelling, did the new animal control officer who is a friend of the person that appointed him the position he is in now have previous experience in the animal control industry? I think not.

• May says:

Jennifer—–Absolutly not but, to continiue to link this person to that person is ridiculous and it is getting old. Apparently you don’t get how things work…

Bob oh Boy Yes, I get how things work. First you hire your friends then make up a company (CARES) then you give them a no bid contract, then you give them more money and then they are all set. No Jennifer its not a conspiracy. There are “certain” people in a “certain” group that are corrupt. Not everyone is corrupt.
          Why do I even have to expain myself to someone like you that will never get it. Or don’t want to get it. You, TcB and Chris might be even involved with this.
          And its getting king of old to read your crap. What you guys really support?
          have you guys made your donation to save the trees and westmark?

• May says:

oh yes, Brian Bennett, Rose Clark, joan McGiltonm Bobison really work on your behalf.

Brian Bennett is a smart guy to not have run for re-election because he knows whats up.
          People are not stupid and ask questions and they will dig deeper.

9. PanderBear Jack says:

Debi Wagner files for city council.

Using the controversial (her words) mini reporting system.

10. TcB says:

I will state my convictions again because John K (D) Poitras continues to Libel me! For which I will sue! I’m going to sue you for all your wallpaper, and your small collection of objets d’art!

Annexation: Would have welcomed the people, but I never campaigned for it, just supported their right to choose. I guess that makes me a “campaigner”

Mike Martin: Don’t care if he’s out, or in. Meh. Guess that makes me a “campainger”.

CARES: Needs to be watched for problems, but improved upon. Not just shuttered.

Burien in general: Doing pretty good. You don’t like it? There are some way fabulous places up north.

• John Poitras says:

TcB … Be careful of who you accuse of libel or defamation, I know you don’t want anyone to know your true identity and deflection isn’t going to fly when you are already in print and on record.
      You supported the spending of hundreds of thousands of city dollars in an ill advised unaffordable attempt at annexation however much you want to minimize your role that’s a fact.
      I have no doubt you would support another attempt at annexation no matter how unaffordable and foolish.
      It seems every time someone criticizes the job that Mike Martin is doing you conveniently denigrate that criticism and are all over anyone that suggests otherwise >>so to say you are not a Mike Martin supporter is a little ingenuous.
      CARES just needs to be watched? Are you just exposing your lack of knowledge of the issue or are you in fact a supporter of the no bid contract being awarded to a business (CARES) with a sizable increase in contract monies that has issues to say the very least?
      I would say the preponderance of the evidence points to the latter conclusion..
      As far as moving up north.. I suggest you take your own advise because you are in danger of being left behind when the train leaves the station next year here in Burien when we have a new city council, ready to tackle the job of making Burien a better place to live. Something we have not had in a number of years.

• TcB says:

You continue to put words in my mouth. I get it. I know how the spin works. We’ll see if the tsunami of change! happens for you. I have no idea what you think is going to happen when we get a new, or some new members on council. I suspect that things are going to change far more slowly than you predict. They always have in Burien. Burien is a very “slow burn” kind of town. Most likely I won’t notice whatever it is, and you’ll continue to be a curmudgeon.

eeek! Libel!

11. May says:

TcB—–What friends were on the Burien Planning commission before Brian Bennett got there? Again Friends of Friends?…Who was stalling the paper work? Scott Greeenberg?

Brian Bennett and Scott Greenberg have one person in common and his name is Carl Pollard. Its just a conincidence that he is a developer.

Burien was sued by Westmark (Robert Thorpe). Its just another conincidence that he is a donater to Kevin R Wallace.

Kevin Wallace is Friends with Norman McCue (real estate) and just by conincidence Scott Greenberg used to live in on of their Condos. Lochshire.

Burien paid 10 Million to their friends.

Where there is smoke there is fire.

• TcB says:

This would all be compelling except you never cite your findings. And seriously, some of your connections seem pretty faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar fetched. Someone donated to someones campaign?

You really are a strawman sockpuppet whether you know it (which I think you do) or not.

from Wikipedia: Strawman sockpuppet [edit]

A strawman sockpuppet is a false flag pseudonym created to make a particular point of view look foolish or unwholesome in order to generate negative sentiment against it. Strawman sockpuppets typically behave in an unintelligent, uninformed, or bigoted manner and advance “straw man” arguments that their puppeteers can easily refute. The intended effect is to discredit more rational arguments made for the same position.[24] Such sockpuppets behave in a similar manner to internet trolls.

By making the arguments you make, someone who has a slightly similar but far less insane argument now looks like a tinfoil hat. Good job May!

• May says:

TcB—

Remember, where there is smoke there is fire. Scammers will always be scammers.

12. Joe Wills says:

Go Ms Wagner you have my vote !!!!!!