Robert Richmond III officially filed to run for Burien City Council, Position #3, where he will face incumbent Joan McGilton, Debi Wagner and Andrea Reay.

“I am running because I have noticed that it appears that the City Council has run out of ideas, except annexation,” Richmond said. “I would appreciate the opportunity to present a few ideas to the public so that we can begin to become a self – sufficient city.”

Richmond joins 12 other candidates running in the 2013 council election:

• Council Position No. 1: Jack Block Jr. (incumbent), Lauren Berkowitz, Kip Walton
  • Council Position No. 3: Andrea H. Reay, Joan McGilton (incumbent), Richmond III, Debi Wagner
  • Council Position No. 5: Nancy Tosta, Len Boscarine, Rose Clark (incumbent)
  • Council Position No. 7: Chuck Rangel, Joey Martinez, Steve Armstrong

The Primary election will be Aug. 6, and the General election will be Nov. 5.

As usual, The B-Town Blog will be holding Candidate Forums soon, so be sure to check back often.

Here’s Richmond’s full statement:

My name is Robert L. Richmond, III and I am running for Burien City Council Position # 3.

I am running because I have noticed that it appears that the City Council has run out of ideas, except annexation. I would appreciate the opportunity to present a few ideas to the public so that we can begin to become a self – sufficient city.

I would like to bring the 4H Headquarters to the City of Burien and help build the foundation for Urban Farming. We need to teach our kids early on about eating healthy. 4H also offers opportunities in the subjects of robotics, engineering, and computer science.

I propose working with Washington State University to bring an Athletic and Science facility to the City of Burien.

I intend to be aggressive and look for an “Anchor Tenant” to partner with the city to bring in high paying jobs. Burien is OPEN for business!

I just have a few questions for the incumbent: What is taking so long to make 1st Ave passable? Why are there so many empty storefronts? Why do we not host major adult sporting events? It appears that the city is dependant on how much allocated funds the state provides. Why?

My vision is clear; establishing healthy eating habits for our children, furthering education for the jobs of tomorrow and raising revenue by bringing in new, non-retail business.

Together, we can “grow a better Burien”.

I am asking for your vote on Aug 6 and Nov 5.

– Robert L. Richmond, III

Comments

15 Responses to “Robert Richmond III officially files to run for Burien City Council, Position #3”
  1. Coverofnight says:

I like his statement, except the mention of washington state university – just say NO to cougs in Burien!

2. JJ Greive says:

He has great ideas, and no clue as to what a city council does.

“establishing healthy eating habits for our children,” What? If you tell me what to feed my kid, you are going to be real popular.

“furthering education for the jobs of tomorrow” .. did you know you signed up for city council? If education is really your goal, you are ruining for the wrong position.

“Why are there so many empty storefronts?” Do you think the council has some power to fill the vacancies and just how would you do that? Are you proposing new rules on property owners and how they are to use their private property? Like to hear a concrete proposal.

• May says:

He has great ideas, and no clue as to what a city council does.

Here is what a true council does.
      They change documents with help of their friends.
      They hire their friends.
      They hire construction companies that are their friends.
      They want the Ward System so they can line up their friends.
      They want annexation so they have more land to hire their friends and develop the land.
      They donate to their friends so they can run for office and continue when they lose their positions.
      And then we start all over again.

• TcB says:

I hear they watch “Friends” to make all their nefarious plans. The Rachel cut is about to come back into style!

• TbC says:

The Rachel cut looks good on you!

• May says:

Brian Bennett —–> Lauren Berkowitz —->$500
          Brian Bennett—–> Joey Martinez —–$ 300
          Joan McGilton —-> Joey Martinez———-$ 100
          Jeff Upthegrove (Steve) Lauren Berkowitz $40.

Kevin Wallace (real estate) donation made by Robert Thorpe (westmark project)
          Kevin Wallace donation made by Dow Jeffrey (Polygon Company) former Condo complex of Mike Martin.

• PanderBear Jack says:

Hey I can go to the PDC site too!

May, what’s $9,125.47 – $400? Still quite a bit and with no union or corporate donors.

And it’s funny that jackie-boy ain’t up on the PDC YET. He’s been campaigning for months now!!

I hope Jackie-boy realizes that if the 3 lake Burien candidates all win that he’s expendable to the NIMBY council members, Lucy and bob.

• PanderBear Jack says:

OH and another thing!

I thought this was AMERICA where people were free to support who ever they wanted???

• Burien Lover says:

I hops some day you have friends, too, May.

• Eaton B.Verz says:

ALL RIGHT!! JJ’s avatar is back!

3. Carol Vernon says:

Fabulous! Here are several really good, doable ideas. I’d like to see more of this kind of thinking on the part of Burien’s leaders. Tell us more, Mr. Richmond.

4. TcB says:

Why do we not host major adult sporting events?

So things that could be held at Chelsea Park? Or do you want to build an Arena?

I won’t vote to build…unless you can get WSU to foot the entire bill, which is a neat slogan to get elected, but the reality?

Empty Storefronts? That’s a question for Real Estate and Business.

We aren’t a self sufficient city?

5. Fred says:

To PanderBear Jack and Joey-

Again I have read the PDC report for Joey’e campaign. I looks to me like Joey has given himself a $5,000 loan and about $500 in inkind donations. He has raised about $4,000 in cash donations but most of it has come from people who don’t live in Burien. Lots of it is coming in from California.

Then he says on this blog that he has raised over $9,000 with lots of little checks. At this point in time this isn’t true but he claimed on this blog it was. Of course this is a strategy to get people to believe that he has rasied lots of money from lots of supporters in Burien. Not so. He gave himself two big checks in loans.

If I have read this PDC report incorrectly, please correct me. However, what I don’t understand is why not just be upfront about the money sources. Everyone can read them on the PDC site. And yes, Brian Bennett and Joan McGilton have donated to him.
    He parrots Martin-Bennett-McGilton jargon.

6. Marty says:

Thanks for that Fred..

It says something about Joey’s charactor that he cannot even be trusted to be up front about where his campaign donations came from. He also hides his unpopular positions in that he is a big Mike Martin supporter and would support another attempt at annexation of white center by the city of Burien. Joey is just another Mike Martin, Brian Bennett, Joan McGilton, Rose Clark crony in sheeps clothing. All Burien gets from voting in Joey will be MORE TAXES and MORE CRONYISM!