A first-hand account of selling Strawberry Shortcake at the Wild Strawberry Festival
Our friends at Burien Arts want to share their recent experience from last weekend’s successful Wild Strawberry Festival, where they sold more Strawberry Shortcake than ever before:
Did you know that Burien Arts started the Strawberry Festival in Burien back in the 70’s? It’s true. It got too big for the little non-profit to handle, so they passed the torch to the city. We are still one of the anchors of the festival. We have not missed one year.
We are the only non-profit food vendor. We operate solely with volunteer help. This year we got a lot of help from a group of students from Highline High School and the Skills Center. We would have been lost without them.
Because of our great team and the great weather we were able to have a record breaking year in sales, up about 20% from last year.
We had only one gallon of the fabulous northwest berries left unopened when the festival closed at 4:00 PM on Sunday. We have gallons of leftover juice from straining the frozen berries. The juice was brought to the Bread of Life Mission in downtown Seattle. They were very appreciative. The plastic tubs that the berries are packed in are washed and reused and/or recycled.
The shortcakes are made by special order by the Australian Pie Company on 152nd right across from our booth. They could not be fresher! We did have quite a few leftover shortcakes and whipped cream. Ada Packard, one of our most active volunteers brought those to the local food bank on Monday morning.
Wondering what we do with the proceeds?
- FREE face painting at the Strawberry Festival and at Arts-a-Glow (Sept 7th, 2013)
- FREE art classes for kids in Burien (May and June at the Burien Library)
- FREE drawing workshop for teachers(June 27 & 28 at the Burien Library)
- FREE Shakespeare in the Parks (Dottie Harper Park 7:00 PM)
- July 27th King Lear
- August 3rd A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- FREE 20/20 art show and sale
- Highline Classic Jazz Festival (FREE to 18 and under) March 8, 2014
- Juried Art Show April 2014
- New Gallery space in 2013
- Support for the new B-town Beat art/music/poetry walk
- Networking support for the various local arts groups
- Advocate for the Arts in Burien