Burien Arts-A-Glow Lantern Festival submissions are due Friday, June 28
The Burien Arts-A-Glow Lantern festival is looking for artists and community groups to create lantern installations for the 2013 event to be held on Saturday, September 7th.
Artists are invited to submit proposals to provide new or existing temporary illuminated artworks as part of the Arts-A-Glow Lantern Festival in Burien. The festival is sponsored by the City of Burien.
Here are the details:
- Artists are encouraged to visit Dottie Harper Park (4th and 146th SW; Burien) http://www.burienwa.gov/index.aspx?NID=401 prior to preparing their proposal.
- The artworks must be waterproof.
- Artwork must have no lasting physical impact on the park – leaving “no trace.”
- Artwork must be family friendly.
- We are open to illuminated two- or three- dimensional, multi-media and/or performance works.
- Artist’s proposals will be selected from the pool of applicants.
- Please include a budget narrative with your proposal justifying your requested amount.
ARTIST FEES & RECOGNITION
Awards will be between $100-$1,000.
- Artists’ names will be listed on promotional/outreach materials.
- Quality of submitted work
- Ability of the proposal to be executed within the budget and timeline
- Ability of the proposal to meet public safety and environmental issues
- Compliance to guidelines and submission requirements
- Describe project benefits, including if/how the public can be involved in the construction and/or interact with the completed artwork.
The City of Burien and 4 Culture will have the right to graphically reproduce accepted work through print, film or electronic media for documentary, educational, and promotional purposes.
- Ongoing communication regarding project evolution and site needs.
- Artworks must be installed and/or ready to display by 5pm and removed between 10 and 11 pm on September 7, 2013.
- Project/installation proposals must be original.
- Artworks that received funding must be able to accommodate weather, as Arts-A-Glow will take place rain or shine.
To apply, each artist (or project team) must submit the following materials by e- mail with the following requirements:
In body of e-mail:
- Name of Artist with contact information (address, phone, e-mail) including Artist’s web site link (if available). If applying as a team, please provide contact information for team lead.
Attachments (WORD docs are best):
- Narrative description of project (no more than 2 pages including conceptual intent, materials, and method of execution.) Artists are encouraged to describe how they will involve the public, either in the creation or interactive exhibition.
- Project budget for artists’ fees and materials (grants will be between $100 – $1,000) will be awarded. Please include a budget narrative with your proposal justifying your requested amount.
- Please include a lighting plan. Limited AC power may be available for lighting, however proposals should provide for alternative methods (battery, LED’s, etc.). Please no candles.
- Resume or Artist’s biography (200 words or fewer) including previous awards, honors, shows, degrees.
- A digital image of a sketch or model of the piece (If the piece already exists, submit a digital image of it as part of your three images- see #6.)
- Images: Provide three digital images of generally similar previous work in .jpg file format, maximum dimension of 800 pixels in either direction. Include a description of the images (artwork title, dimensions, medium, and year of creation).
Please e-mail [email protected] with any questions.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION
Please send proposals to: [email protected] before 4pm on June 28, 2013.
The Call can be found at:
Installations can be new creations or existing installations. Please see Call for more details.
Submissions are due Friday, June 28!