VIDEO: Detectives seeking public’s help finding Burien ‘take-over’ bank robbers
Detectives from the King County Sheriff’s Office, Seattle Police Department and the FBI’s Safe Streets Task Force are investigating a series of five armed ‘take-over’ bank robberies – including one June 8 at Sterling Savings Bank in Burien – that have occurred since January 2013.
Police released a boatload of surveillance photos and a video compilation in hopes that someone might have information about the suspect(s), which they’ve nicknamed the “Big Top Bandits.”
A reward of up to $1,000 is being offered through Crime Stoppers of Puget Sound. Callers to Crime Stoppers may remain anonymous and are eligible to receive a cash reward if the information leads to an arrest and charge of person(s) involved.
To be eligible for the reward, a person must provide the information through Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
Here’s a video compilation showing the robber(s) in action:
Here are the details:
- Three robberies have occurred in King County jurisdiction.
- Two robberies have occurred in Seattle PD jurisdiction.
- Detectives are considering the cases as linked at this time. Detectives continue to investigate the actual number of suspects involved.
- The June 8th 2013 Burien Sterling Savings robbery resulted in a bank teller being struck in the face by the suspect.
- The July 1st Bank of America robbery is the first time two suspects have entered a bank together. All prior robberies were committed by a single suspect entering the banks.
- The May 22nd 2013 Washington Federal robbery is Seattle resulted in a suspect firing a gunshot inside the bank.
- Handguns are displayed and pointed in all robberies
- Suspects rob despite several customers and employees being present.
- Detectives are now (for the first time) releasing surveillance photos of a suspect vehicle believed to have been used in the February 28th 2013 Key Bank robbery. This vehicle is a blue 1983 – 1987 Mercury Marquis – very stock in appearance.
Tips can also be called in to the KCSO Communication Center (206-296-3311) or 911.
Robbery locations to date;
- 1-16-13: Newcastle branch of Key Bank (KCSO)
- 2-28-13: Rainier Ave branch of Key Bank (SPD)
- 5-22-13: Rainer Ave branch of Washington Federal Bank (SPD)
- 6-8-13: Burien branch of Sterling Savings Bank (KCSO)
- 7-1-13: Newcastle branch of Bank of America (KCSO)
PHOTOS (click images to see larger versions):
From the June 8 Burien robbery:
From the Feb. 28 Seattle Key Bank robbery:
Pics of the suspect vehicle:
From the July 1 Newcastle robbery:
If you recognize these suspects, please call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Tips can also be called in to the KCSO Communication Center (206-296-3311) or 911.