LETTER: Neighborhood where car windows smashed now hit by burglaries

[EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is a Letter to the Editor, written by a Reader. It does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The B-Town Blog nor its staff:]

burglaries

Good evening,

I noticed the BTB story about a series of car windows being shattered – my wife’s car was one of the cars hit. :/ thank you for getting the word out.

Now this same neighborhood is being hit with a rash of home burglaries. The Burien crime map (see above) currently show three home burglaries in for the ‘13000 Block 12 AV S’ area – not including my own home … we’ve had 4 burglaries in a one-square block area within a 6 day span (8/6 – 8/12).

Like the car window smashings, I know at least two of the crimes happened during the middle of the day. I spoke with my neighbor – an elderly woman – who says they broke in through her basement door. On the day my house was broken into, I was at home all day with my baby – except for a short 45 minute drive post office and quick walk around the 152nd businesses – on 8/12. When we returned home, the thieves had ransacked my office area and made off with jewelry and electronics. Apparently my neighbor’s home was also hit when she ran a quick errand.

What worries us most is the fear that our homes are being watched, to see when we leave even to run quick errands.

Thank you for your time.

- Paul Nicholas Carlson

[Have an opinion or concern you’d like to share with our ~80,000+ monthly Readers? Please send us your Letter to the Editor via email. Include your full name, please remain civil and, pending our review, we’ll most likely publish it.]

Comments

6 Responses to “LETTER: Neighborhood where car windows smashed now hit by burglaries”
  1. Kim Mulligan says:

The same pattern is happening in North Seattle. There was a rash of car break ins which isn’t all that unusual. Followed shortly thereafter by home burglaries, which isn’t a common occurance. My neighbors went out for dinner at 7pm and when they came home at 11pm their back door had been kicked in. What scares me is I live a few feet away and didn’t notice anything was wrong. They also only took small items, but all the credit cards were laid out on a table (guessing they took a picture of them to later make some fake cards). I will start listening more carefully to unusual noises, there seem to be firecrackers that night, wondering if there was a connection.

2. jimmy says:

sound like school thugs on summer vaction lock your fricken doors and windows even if its a second or third story window don’t get a little dog if you going get a dog get a big dog that will tear a inturder a part not just byte there ankles and get stolen if your neigbors have teenage kids ask there parents to look around and see they got any new stuff recently or there any papers from a pawn shop in there laundry or check there internet history for craiglist ads its most likey a couple of punks on summer vaction if you can afford it set up some cameras to get video or pictures so can somthing show the cops or post to the media

3. Jill says:

I spoke to a woman about a month ago who had her home broken into and she said it was a couple of men who were using a ‘lawn maintenance’ / ‘landscape / gardening … truck.
    When she was not home they backed up to the house and loaded all kinds of household items into the back, a neighbour saw it but thought she had hired them.

Even though it was not in our neighbourhood, this story has certainly made me mindful to pay attention to these types of vehicles that might be on or around our street.

4. Kelly says:

Our house was broken into today a little before noon, on sixth ave, six blocks from Mr. Carlson’s house. My wife was on jury duty at the district court. Our neighbor had just chased off two white males, about 18 years old, who were looking in our mailbox. The neighbor called the police about the mailbox, but they took forever arriving.

In the meantime told my wife came home for lunch and our neighbor told her about the mailbox incident, then she found that the house had been broken into, through the kitchen window. As happened at Mr. Carlson’s house, they took some small items, made a mess of the place–went through drawers, turned over our bed etc.

The police don’t seem very interested, which is particularly frustrating in light of the recent rash of burglaries in the neighborhood. I’m not sure they even talked to my neighbor who saw the kids tampering with our mailbox.

5. John Poitras says:

Kelly

If you are unhappy with the police response, you could call and ask to talk to Chief Kimerer and voice your concerns.

The main number is 206-296 -3311

6. Jody says:

I have lived in this neighborhood for over 40 years just one block over from you.

We have seen some shady things lately especially with the mail boxes. We have caught the people in the act of going thru the boxes 3 times now once in a car going box from box and 2 people walking down the street opening the boxes and taking mail and boy did they take off when they seen us come out the door!

A month ago my husband found along side our fence our car wash bucket full of mail that was dumped for which we took up to the post office. We have also seen mail dumped in the vacant lot down the street from us, told the local mail man who didn’t care so then called the Riverton post office who immediately sent out someone to take pictures and collect the mail scattered.. Yes us home owners who live on this block have gotten lock boxes now. What a shame!

Now even worse to hear about break ins. On Thursday the home behind our neighbors got robbed. Sure would like to catch these jerks who think they deserve and take what we have worked so hard for.