‘Big’ sinkhole has formed on S. 96th Street and 8th Ave S. in South Park

Reports that a ‘big’ sinkhole has formed on S. 96th Street near 8th Ave S. (map below) in unincorporated King County near the South Park neighborhood are coming in Friday morning (Sept. 6).

No word yet on the cause, but our best guess is that it has to do with the recent rains.

[NOTE: While technically this is NOT within the Burien city limits, it appears that Google Maps identifies this intersection as being in Burien. We have corrected this story to reflect that information.]

Here’s a photo and Tweet from KIRO7’s Rick Price:

And some more pics Tweeted out by Q13Fox:

BTfAhC5CYAAiuB3.jpg_large

BTfD_pECMAA5C56.jpg_large

BTfMOSKCMAIBBIH.jpg_large

And another from KOMO:

BTfF74LCYAAR6tZ.jpg_large

View Larger Map

Comments

15 Responses to “‘Big’ sinkhole has formed on S. 96th Street and 8th Ave S. in South Park”
  1. concerned Burien resident says:

Has anyone corrected the reporting that this sinkhole is in “Burien” when it is actually in unincorporated King County? This report puts a bad light on Burien infrastructure, when it’s really King County that has left White Center and Boulevard Park to decay with a lack of services and funding.

– concerned Burien resident

• CORRECTION: I just double-checked multiple Burien city limit maps from the city’s website and can confirm that this is NOT in Burien.

Sorry for any confusion; the story has been revised.

thanks,
      scott

• Paul says:

I could not agree more. I immediately knew this was not in Burien and called KOMO news with a correction – did not see it. We need positive news about Burien and I tell all my friends Burien is King County’s best kept secret! Thanks for the comment and clarification!

• Wanker says:

King 5 was reporting as “Near Burien and South Seattle”. What I disagree with is their claim that this sinkhole was fixed just months ago.

Am I the only one who thinks that if it was actually fixed, we wouldn’t be looking at it today?

• Diane says:

We live just up the hill from this sink hole. I drive down 8th S. to 96th, then to Desmosines Memorial Dr. daily for the past 9 yrs. There was no fix!! The bottom of the hill @ the 4 way stop has been flooring deeper and deeper for the past 7-10 yrs. The last 5 it has gotten much deeper. I believe due to clearing of (what I believe was designated wet lands) approx 1/2 mile up hill.

2. Rico says:

Looks like a hell of a swimmin holeeee….

3. Rico says:

This is South Park………

4. Please be Quiet says:

It puts a bad light on Burien give me a break? The third world country of South Park Seattle has the same crappy infrastructure as the rest of America. You guys are worried about sink holes when Burien has quitely become the most dangerous place to live in the Puget Sound.

• Burienite says:

That has to be the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. “…when Burien has quietly become the most dangerous place to live in Puget Sound.” ????

C’mon, that is pure hyperbole on your part and is so laughable, that it’s almost a falsism.

Thanks for the laugh though!

• YVonne says:

I lived in south park for 2 years, and for now living in burien for 7 years. I have had mail stolen frequently, cars broken, cars stolen, neighbor robbed during the day, neghbor robbed during the evening with 7 gunned young multi- racial. In the last 2 years, since burien police department has critically shrink and no neighborhood watches organized like the past decades, their is no reason to think that burien is safe. Its wishful thinking to think burien is safe. If your not talking to your neighbors your in the dark. I wished I lived in a safer area than burien.

• PJ says:

YVonne- And what does that have to do with the sink hole????

• aatkmh says:

You are sadly mistaken. New Block Watches are formed almost every week, and if not, then every other week. There are over 200 Block Watches now. People are stepping up and trying to keep their neighborhoods safe. And yes, the sink hole has nothing to do with criminal activity. And the sink hole isn’t even in Burien, so why make it a safety issue for Burien?

5. BookeEmDano says:

I actually live right by here and actually lost a hubcap hitting a pothole. The roads over there are atrocious.

6. tripC says:

I drive this way to and from work everyday. My work is less than a mile from this hole. This is an area on the north side of 96th and recently had some construction (repairs?) going on. This area had recently been re-asphalted after the work. If you look close, you can see that it is a perfect break along the cut lines from the work that was done. I have found it odd that there is constant activity in this area by Highline water 20, (our water district) as well as Val-Vue sewer. To the best of my knowledge the water district has been chasing some leaks in the area.

7. alice says:

This is in South Park on the way to Dominics Red Apple Market. Go South Park! I love my neighborhood and wish I still lived there. Lost my sweet home of 18 years almost 4 years ago. Home sick for my home sweet home.

P. S. I love Burien too