VIDEOS: Ground broken for Seahurst Park Shoreline Restoration Project Monday


Print This Post  Email This Post

Ground was broken for Burien’s Seahurst Park Shoreline Restoration Project Monday, Sept. 16, and here’s a quick time lapse video showing the shoveling:

The ceremony, which included local dignitaries like Burien City Councilmembers Joan McGilton, Rose Clark, Jack Block Jr., Jerry Robison, Mayor Brian Bennett, along with Col. Bruce Estok of the Army Corps of Engineers, Sen. Sharon Nelson, Rep. Dave Upthegrove and others, celebrated the start of the Seahurst Park Ecosystem Restoration Project Phase 2. The Corps and the city completed Phase 1 in 2005 and have been working toward getting funding and completing the project since then.

The seawall removal project is scheduled to start in mid- to late-September or early October, and is projected to last until Spring 2014. Once construction starts, the park will essentially be closed. Impacts to park users will include no parking available at the park, no public access to the park shoreline, with limited pedestrian access to the upland park trails.

To view what this major construction and restoration project will look like, view this short 2-minute video about the restoration work done in 2004-2005:

Another video from 2007 includes an interview with former parks planner Scott Thomas:

To learn more about Seahurst Park, view the park’s webpage.

For the City of Burien, Seahurst Park is one of its most important assets, and the city has worked the past 10 years to remove the hard armoring lining the shore and restore natural nearshore processes.

“This restoration will be the largest bulkhead removal, shoreline restoration project on Puget Sound and it’s a big deal for a city our size,” said Burien Mayor Brian Bennett.

The project will improve marine habitat for salmon and other endangered species, restore natural sediment processes, the beach to pre-seawall conditions and the park’s recreational features.

Phase 1 removed about 1,000 feet of seawall and Phase 2 will nearly double that, removing about 1,800 feet of the armoring. Corps Project Manager Leah Wickstrom announced the Corps awarded a $6.2 million construction contract September 6 to California-headquartered CKY Inc, a civil and environmental construction company with a Seattle office.

“We’re very excited to begin this next phase of the project,” said Wickstrom. “It will be great to celebrate this milestone with the groundbreaking ceremony. The City of Burien and their partners’ dedication to this project made all the difference; everyone has put in so much work.”

The Corps of Engineers is providing $5 million, the maximum allowed by PSAWR authority. The City of Burien, sponsor for the Corps project, partnered with several federal, state and local organizations. City partners are supporting the city by providing $4.2 million state capital dollars allocated by Puget Sound Partnership through the Puget Sound Acquisition & Restoration fund; $1.2 million from the Environmental Protection Agency and Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife’s Estuary & Salmon Restoration Program; and $510,000 from the Green/Duwamish Watershed Forum through the King Conservation District.

“Removal of shoreline armoring is a recovery target for the Puget Sound Action Agenda. By 2020, we need to be removing more shoreline armoring than we’re adding,” said Marc Daily, PSP’s interim executive director. “This Seahurst shoreline restoration project is a significant step in moving Puget Sound recovery toward that goal.”

Print This Post  Email This Post

Comments

One Response to “VIDEOS: Ground broken for Seahurst Park Shoreline Restoration Project Monday”
  1. Wendy Darling says:

    Does anyone know if the large boulders comprising of the bulk head were sold to someone? I would think there is a major amount of money tied up initially when we bought them to build the bulkhead? Shouldn’t Burien be recieiving some compensation for those boulders?

    Rate: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0