Water Dist. 54 customers near Normandy Park, Des Moines urged to boil water

The Washington State Department of Health urged King County Water District 54 customers near Normandy Park and Des Moines to boil their tap water because potentially harmful E. coli bacteria were detected in the water.

More than 5,000 customers from South 212th Street to the Kent-Des Moines Road and eastward from Puget Sound to 14th Avenue are affected; here’s a map (click image to see larger version):

WaterDistrict54Map

The Washington State Department of Health released the following bulletin on Saturday:

The state Department of Health urges customers of King County Water District 54 to boil their tap water because potentially harmful E. coli bacteria were detected in the water.

The advisory affects more than 5,000 customers in Southwest King County. The district extends southward from South 212th Street to the Kent-Des Moines Road and eastward from Puget Sound to 14th Avenue. The district includes parts of the cities of Des Moines and Normandy Park.

E. coli bacteria can cause gastrointestinal illness. To kill the bacteria, customers should boil the tap water they use for drinking, brushing teeth, preparing food, making ice and washing dishes. Bring water to a brisk boil for one minute and allow it to cool before use.

All food establishments such as restaurants, coffee shops, delis, and school kitchens within the affected boundaries should suspend operations until the boil water advisory is lifted. Grocery stores that only sell pre-packaged foods are not advised to suspend operations.

The water district staff will disinfect the system with chlorine and flush the chlorine out of the water lines, then collect more water samples. On Monday, a state Department of Health engineer will inspect the system with water district staff to look for the source of contamination.

“The safety of our customers is our top priority,” said King County Water District 54 Superintendent Eric Clarke. “We’re working closely with the state to resolve this problem as quickly as possible.”

The boil-water advisory will remain in effect until the Department of Health and water district staff is satisfied the water meets safe drinking water standards.

Customers who have questions about their water quality can call the water district, 206-878-7210.

Comments

8 Responses to “Water Dist. 54 customers near Normandy Park, Des Moines urged to boil water”
  1. M-on-a-bike says:

The cost of this! “All food establishments such as restaurants, coffee shops, delis, and school kitchens within the affected boundaries should suspend operations until the boil water advisory is lifted.”

• jimmy says:

Or they could just follow the health codes and wash there hands with soap and hot water and cook food to a safe temperature like they normally do or health department would tell them to close up shop so basically don’t order any rare cook food for next few days and boil your water at home and check the temperature of any meat that your cooking And you should be fine

2. DONNA BULLOCK says:

I am not sure if Iam included in this water situation
    My address is 17431 Ambaum Blvd South Burien, 98148

3. William says:

What are the recommendations about showering in the contaminated water?

4. taxqueen says:

Speaking of revenue, the water advisory is said to be in effect until at least Wednesday. I live on the marina and this place is like a ghosttown. Four days lost business is going to hurt in many ways financially in a ripple effect in these neighborhoods. I don’t know if there is insurance that could cover this type of loss. Mostly I hope everyone stays well, human losses can never be recovered by money.

5. Brandon says:

Ecoli in the water over the weekend and “days” until we are cleaned up? Really?? Dept of Health can’t work weekends??

6. Jackie says:

I had to take my meds and I went to get myself a glass of water, and all I could smell coming out of the tap was bleach instead of water. I have smelled that before but it’s never been this bad. I ran it for a while n it still stunk. I took a zip anyway I get my pill down. It tasted bitter and my throat was been burning since. The sides of my tongue are burning and tingling. I do not live in the E. coli affected area, I’m on 224th and 24th st. How much bleach has been poured in our water. And is too much bleach safe? It’s been 30 minutes since I had some water and I feel like u just gave myself a bad sore throat and a bad headache. I also need to boil water to make my baby his bottles for the night.

• WOW says:

WTF Jackie?!? Have you not heard of bottled water or do you want to get sick? What kind of person smells foul odors coming out of their water and still drinks it and then gives it to their kids? Sounds like a total lack of common sense!