JOB: Discover Burien seeking new Executive Director; deadline is Friday
[EDITOR’S NOTE: BTB Publisher/Editor Scott Schaefer serves on the board of Discover Burien, a local non-profit business association.]
REMINDER: Discover Burien is seeking a new, part-time Executive Director, and the deadline to apply is this Friday, Oct. 18.
This is for a half-time, salaried position requiring some evening and weekend work.
The salary range is $20,000 to $25,000, depending on qualifications.
To apply, submit your resume, names and contact information for three references, and a one-page narrative describing how your experience prepares you to be successful in meeting the position responsibilities.
The deadline for receipt of applications is this Friday, October 18, 2013, at 5:00 p.m. Any applications received after this date/time will not be considered. Please do not call the Discover Burien office with inquiries about this position.
Send your application packet by email to [email protected]. Alternatively, you may mail it to Sound Nonprofits, 3401 South 19th Street, Suite 200; Tacoma, WA 98405.
Here’s the full job description:
The Executive Director of Discover Burien works in partnership with the Board of Directors and staff to provide strategic organizational leadership, vision and direction for the organization. The Executive Director implements the plans, policies and budgets approved by the Board of Directors; oversees the general management of Discover Burien programs; and represents it in the community. Discover Burien is a small organization requiring that a broad range of responsibilities be fulfilled by its Executive Director with one part-time staff person and several volunteers to whom work can be delegated.
- Planning and Program Implementation:
- Works with Board of Directors to develop strategic, long term and annual plans.
- Develops programs and services targeted to mission fulfillment with a focus on membership recruitment and retention as well as business owner development and education.
- Maintains a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field. General Management:
- Selects, supervises and evaluates all staff and independent contractors.
- Builds an effective, collaborative team of Discover Burien employees, contractors and volunteers.
- Oversees program and service delivery.
- Reports to the Board of Directors regularly and timely on progress toward operational goals.
- Promotes active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organization’s work.
- Responsible for compliance with all local, state and federal legal requirements.
- Maintains official records and documents. Financial Management
- Develops and maintains sound financial practices.
- Works with the Board of Directors to develop annual organization budget.
- Maintains revenue and expenditures in line with the Board-approved budget.
- Assures the implementation of annual and long term fund raising efforts.
- Provides regular and timely financial reports to assure that current and complete financial information is provided to the Board of Directors
- Board Support
- Assures that the Board is kept fully informed on the condition of Discover Burien and all important factors influencing it.
- Provides support to the Board and its Committees by scheduling and maintaining records of their meetings.
Communications & Community Representation
- Publicizes activities of Discover Burien, its programs and its goals to the community through print and electronic media and social marketing.
- Connects with all new businesses in the Burien area.
- Maintains the Discover Burien website, working with the website designer when necessary.
- Establishes sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Represent Discover Burien programs and points of view to agencies, other organizations and the general public.
- Creates/expands programs and events that will generate additional financial resources for Discover Burien in order to achieve more balance in funding sources.
- High degree of technology expertise including skill in software programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher) and QuickBooks required.
- Skill in using social media to generate participation and support.
- Experienced in program and office administration.
- Demonstrable success in supporting and working with nonprofit boards and committees.
- Successful background in membership development and retention.
- Experienced in recruiting and supervising volunteers.
- Ability to work effectively with independent contractors.
- Skill in managing and reporting on contracted activities.
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- At least three years in a nonprofit management position with supervisory responsibility.
- Minimum educational requirement: Associates degree or higher.
- Preference given to residents of the Burien area.
This is a half-time, salaried position requiring some evening and weekend work. The salary range is $20,000 to $25,000, depending on qualifications. To apply, submit your resume, names and contact information for three references, and a one-page narrative describing how your experience prepares you to be successful in meeting the position responsibilities.
Send your application packet by email to [email protected] Alternatively, you may mail it to Sound Nonprofits, 3401 South 19th Street, Suite 200; Tacoma, WA 98405.
The deadline for receipt of applications is Friday, October 18, 2013, at 5:00 p.m. Any applications received after this date/time will not be considered. Please do not call the Discover Burien office with inquiries about this position.
Application information and instructions can be found at www.discoverburien.org.
Please do not call the office regarding this position.