Volunteers needed for Saturday work party at Walker Preserve
Volunteers are needed to help restore Walker Preserve this Saturday, Nov. 16.
Here’s the full announcement:
Please sign up! This event will be cancelled if fewer than 8 people sign up by Thursday, November 14.
Volunteer to restore Walker Preserve, November 16, 9-noon
No experience is required! We will remove invasive plants to restore the forest near Walker Creek.
WHEN: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 9:00 a.m. – Noon
WHERE: Walker Preserve park, SW. 168th St. and 2nd Ave. SW. in Normandy Park, up the road from Normandy Park City Hall. If driving, your parking options include:
- Three spaces in the small park at SW 171st St. and Second Ave. S.W.
- On the street along 2nd Ave SW
From the black metal gate behind the Walker Preserve sign, walk down the trail towards the creek.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please plan ahead – this park does not have a restroom.
This event will be cancelled if less than 8 people sign up by Thursday, 11/14. Check the Miller-Walker Volunteer Calendar for updates on Friday, 11/15: http://www.kingcounty.gov/
environment/watersheds/ central-puget-sound/miller- walker-creeks/volunteer.aspx
- Remove English ivy from trees and pull roots out of the ground. Find Himalayan blackberry plants, cut them back, and then dig out the roots.
What to bring:
- Clothing that will protect you from the rain, cold, or heat, and thorny plants (long sleeves, long pants, sturdy shoes)
- Filled water bottle, gloves and a shovel if you have them
- HOT STARBUCKS COFFEE & snacks
- Work gloves
- Training about how to remove invasive plants and compost them on site
This volunteer event is an opportunity to visit a pleasant park in the City of Normandy Park, along Walker Creek. The City of Normandy Park and volunteers rebuilt the footbridge over the creek last year, and neighbors and other volunteers have made a lot of progress restoring the native plant community in this park. This work will help native plants thrive, and provide shade and food for the salmon that live in the creek. Please sign up if you can, or decide to show up at the last minute!