WEATHER: ‘Special Weather Statement’ issued, warning of unusually cold weather
The National Weather Service on Monday issued a ‘Special Weather Statement‘ warning of “unusually cold weather” prevailing across Western Washington for the next week.
“Local snow accumulations of a half inch to two inches are possible,” the warning reads.
Burien was one of the few areas that received some snowfall Monday night. Although it quickly melted away, there’s a chance it could return, most likely starting on Sunday, Dec. 8.
Here’s the full warning:
…UNUSUALLY COLD WEATHER WILL PREVAIL ACROSS WESTERN WASHINGTON FOR THE NEXT WEEK…
A DEEP UPPER TROUGH OVER WESTERN WASHINGTON…ALONG WITH A MODIFIED ARCTIC FRONT MOVING SOUTH THROUGH THE AREA…WILL PRODUCE SCATTERED SHOWERS TONIGHT. THE SNOW LEVEL WILL BE JUST A FEW HUNDRED FEET ABOVE SEA LEVEL…AND LOCAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF A HALF INCH TO TWO INCHES ARE POSSIBLE.
THE SHOWERS WILL END OVERNIGHT AS THE UPPER TROUGH MOVES INTO OREGON…AND COLD DRY AIR WILL SPREAD SOUTH INTO WESTERN WASHINGTON BEHIND THE ARCTIC FRONT. LOWS TONIGHT SHOULD BE IN THE MID 20S TO LOWER 30S.
THE MODIFIED ARCTIC AIR WILL ARRIVE BY WAY OF THE FRASER RIVER VALLEY IN SOUTHWEST BRITISH COLUMBIA…AND IT WILL PRODUCE WINDY CONDITIONS IN WESTERN WHATCOM COUNTY AND THE SAN JUANS THROUGH TUESDAY. WIND CHILLS THERE WILL BE AROUND 10 DEGREES. A WIND ADVISORY WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT THERE THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.
DRY COLD WEATHER WILL PREVAIL TUESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY. DAYTIME HIGHS WILL BE IN THE UPPER 20S AND 30S WITH SUNSHINE…AND OVERNIGHT LOWS WILL BE MAINLY IN THE 15 TO 25 DEGREE RANGE.
THE COLD WEATHER WILL PROBABLY CONTINUE FRIDAY THROUGH EARLY NEXT WEEK. A WEAK WEATHER SYSTEM IN THE NORTHERLY FLOW ALOFT COULD BRING SOME SNOW THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY…BUT THE CHANCE LOOKS SLIM AT THIS POINT. ANOTHER WEATHER SYSTEM WILL BRING A CHANCE OF SNOW LATE THIS WEEKEND OR EARLY NEXT WEEK.
And here’s the 7-day forecast:
- Overnight: A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. North northeast wind 9 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
- Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 35. Northeast wind 5 to 8 mph.
- Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 25. East wind around 9 mph.
- Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 34. East wind 8 to 10 mph.
- Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 23. East southeast wind 5 to 8 mph.
- Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 33.
- Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26.
- Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 34.
- Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 25.
- Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 32.
- Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 26.
- Sunday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36.
- Sunday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24.
- Monday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36.