Donut-shaped sculpture ‘Taurus’ at Seahurst Park removed, to be destroyed

Thomas Lindsey’s ‘Taurus’ sculpture sits in the upper parking lot of Seahurst Park, awaiting its fate on Thursday, Dec. 5. Click image to see larger version. Photo by Scott Schaefer.

Taurus2As we first reported Thursday, Dec. 5, the donut-shaped (or innertube-shaped depending on your age) sculpture ‘Taurus,’ designed by Thomas Lindsey and in place at Burien’s Seahurst Park since 1977, has been removed and decommissioned for restoration work.

According to the city’s website:

“Taurus” is a large-scale, non-representational sculpture constructed of a central painted steel ring and horizontal cedar planks bound together by steel ties. The steel and wood are suspended on two concrete pillars.

The sculpture was commissioned in 1977 by the King County Arts Commission and will be deaccessioned in 2013 for the upcoming major restoration of the north beach at Seahurst Park.

Thomas A. Lindsey is a sculptor and architect residing on Guemes Island in the San Juan Islands.

This news generated some interesting Comments on the blog:

Chris says:

December 6, 2013 at 7:21 am

They should keep the “Donut” sculpture and relocated it to the police station in Burien. Kind of a shrine for cops.

Hot debate. What do you think?

Fuzz says:

December 6, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I certainly hope that they don’t discard Taurus! While I do admit I got a good chuckle at Chris suggestion – I would at least hope they could relocate the sculpture at Dotty Harper Park down in the woods or whatever.

Chris says:

December 6, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Found the artists (Thomas A. Lindsay) website: http://www.talindsey.com/ Perhaps he’ll have some input on where the Taurus sculpture will go. I do feel that simply “discarding” it is not the right action. City of Burien?

H says:

December 7, 2013 at 1:27 amI agree, it seems disrespectful to just discard something that’s been at the park for so long.

Courtney says:

December 8, 2013 at 11:00 pmTaurus is part of the park and been there approaching 40 years. It’s part of the parks history, identity, and certainly shouldn’t be discarded but included in the new plans and not at some other location.

The city responded with this release on Monday, Dec. 9:

In 1977, The King County Arts Commission (now 4Culture) commissioned Washington artist Thomas Lindsey to create a piece of public art for Seahurst Park. This fabulous park on the shores of the sound in Burien deserved a fabulous piece of art, and “Taurus” was installed, built from steel, cedar, and concrete.

The piece was installed by the artist with the understanding that the life space of the materials was limited. The piece was enjoyed by visitors for over three decades, much longer that Mr. Lindsey expected.

In 2011, with plans being developed to restore the Seahurst shoreline to its original condition, Burien Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Services staff and arts commission worked with the owner of the sculpture, 4Culture, to determine the best options for the piece. Due to the new layout of the beach the piece could not stay in its original location.

The city spent two years working with 4Culture and Mr. Lindsey to find a solution. All options were considered including moving the piece to a new location. Federal regulations mandate copyright rules on public art, so the artist’s thoughts about the piece were honored as the process developed.

In the end the final decision by the artist and the 4Culture Public Art Committee was to de-accession the piece due to the degraded quality of the materials. The artist was thrilled that his art was able to enliven our park for so many years, and lives on in the communities’ memories and photographs.

The City is now working to develop a new piece of public art for Seahurst Park. Please watch the city website for more information as the process develops!

For more information on Burien Public Art please go to www.burienpublicart.net or contact parksinfo@burienwa.gov.

“Just in case is wasn’t clear from the release, the city has no option to move the piece to a new location,” added Gina Kallman, Cultural Arts Supervisor. “The owner and artist have decided to deaccession the piece due to its deterioration and we are honoring their choice.  We are excited about a new piece of public art and I am busy writing grants.”

So…what do YOU think about this news? Please Comment or take our Poll (NOTE: we updated this poll) below:

Will you miss the sculpture 'Taurus' at Seahurst Park?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Comments

8 Responses to “Donut-shaped sculpture ‘Taurus’ at Seahurst Park removed, to be destroyed”
  1. Theresa says:

Could it be auctioned off , to: (1) let a private party purchase the piece and preserve it; and (2) raise money for a good cause?

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 17 Thumb down 0

2. Rob says:

I was so hoping it could be saved. Growing up on top of the dip, it became an Icon for me of Seahurst park. There are so few Icons left of my childhood in Burien.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 8 Thumb down 1

3. Alex V. says:

I will definitely miss the statue. What I like about the piece is that it incorporates a smooth texture. It seems that a lot of public art recently has been very spikey and rough. If it doesn’t look like it would be interesting to touch, it’s not interesting (for me at least) to look at. I also feel that unless it is fragile, public art should be able to be touched and felt. This is one problem I have with the downtown sculpture park. It all looks so tactile-ly interesting, but you aren’t allowed to touch something within arms reach.

4. Mary says:

Last year my brother, a retired police officer, visited Seahurst park. One of the first things he said was “Burien really respects cops”. When I asked why, he pointed to “Taurus” and said – “giant donut”! Glad I took a photo of it that day, so I can still see it and chuckle!

5. TcB says:

I hope the new art can be as interactive and fun as “Taurus” was. Sad to see that it will go, but it seems that the artist would like to see it go now rather than disintegrate into nothing.

6. Lynn says:

Will be sorry it is gone–was just “part of the park” for so many years.

7. Seahurst Relic says:

With all due respect to the city and the wishes of the artist, could this piece not be restored from it’s deteriorated state and relocated within the new park design?

8. Angela says:

I was the park manager’s daughter who lived in the caretaker’s house growing up and seen that art work on a daily basis. I feel it is part of the landscape and had become part of the history of the park.
    I would rather see it auctioned off and the money to go towards a new art installation. I know that I would love to have it in my back yard to help me remember what it was like growing up in Burien in the 1970’s and 1980’s.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 0