Boy Scout Troop #375 will recycle your Christmas Tree this weekend
Boy Scout Troop #375 will be recycling Christmas Trees this Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 4–5, from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. at the old Herr Backyard Garden Center (near SW 160th and 1st Ave South), to help raise money to support troop activities.
“Just bring your tree by and, for a donation, the Boy Scouts will unload the tree and recycle it for you,“ reads an announcement.
Here’s your B-Town Blog guide to how to recycle your tree:
BOY SCOUT TROOP #375 RECYCLING EVENT SATURDAY & SUNDAY, JAN. 4-5:
- Boy Scout Troop #375 will be recycling trees this Saturday and Sunday (Jan. 8th & 9th) from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. at the old Herr Backyard Garden Center at the corner of 160th and 1st Ave South.
- $5 donation per tree.
- The trees are de-limbed and chipped, and the trunks are turned into firewood and sold to raise money for the local scouts.
- It’s a quick, easy and painless way to recycle – you can do it without even leaving your car, as several hard-working scouts will be on hand.
SOUTHGATE EASTERN STAR RECYCLING EVENT SATURDAY, JAN. 4:
- Eastern Star will be hosting a Tree Recycle on Saturday, Jan. 4, 2014 from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Suggested donation is $5.
- No flocking or tinsel on the trees please.
- Eastern Star: Making a positive impact in our community.
- Southgate Masonic Hall is located at 1004 SW 152nd in Burien.
- For more information, please contact Jan Fernandez at 206-849-7906.
CURBSIDE RECYCLING VIA WASTE MANAGEMENT:
Undecorated holiday trees are accepted with regularly scheduled curbside yard collection if they are:
- Free of flocking, tinsel & ornaments
- Cut in pieces less than 4 feet long, and
- Less than 4 inches in diameter at the base
- Multi-family complexes can order a special drop box for recycling holiday greens by calling 1-800-592-9995.
CURBSIDE RECYCLING VIA ALLIED WASTE:
- Allied Waste provides curbside collection of Christmas Trees to single-family residential yard debris customers.
- Yard Debris customers can set Christmas trees out on their regularly scheduled collection day.
- Trees must be free of flocking, tinsel, ornaments and metal hangers, cut to 4′ lengths and tied into bundles less than 2′ wide.
- Use biodegradable string or twine – no nylon, plastic or other synthetic materials.
- Flocked trees are not recyclable and will not be accepted – put flocked trees in the garbage.
Des Moines residents with CleanScapes service may place one holiday tree out for collection at no additional charge from December 30 through January 24:
- Please remove all flocking, tinsel and decorations.
- Trees must be cut into sections no greater than 4 feet in length and 4 inches in diameter.
- Where possible, place trees inside your compost cart. Alternately, trees should be bound with natural fiber and placed next to your cart for collection.
If you live in an apartment/condo or do not subscribe to compost service, please call CleanScapes at (206) 762-4900 by January 6th to schedule a tree collection.
DO IT YOURSELF:
- King County has several options for recycling Christmas trees – check out their special website here.