Welcome four new councilmembers to City Hall Monday night

Burien’s new councilmembers are, in alphabetical order and clockwise from top left: Steve Armstrong, Lauren Berkowitz, Debi Wagner and Nancy Tosta.

The public is invited to a reception for the four newly-elected councilmembers this coming Monday night, Jan. 6 at 6:30 p.m., just prior to the first Council meeting of 2014 at Burien City Hall.

These four new councilmembers will be sworn into office at the meeting, joining Lucy Krakowiak, Bob Edgar and Gerald Robison:

Lauren_Berkowitz200

Position #1: Lauren Berkowitz

Position #3: Debi Wagner

Position #5: Nancy Tosta

Position #7: Steve Armstrong

A Mayor and Deputy Mayor also will be named.

Burien City Hall is located at 400 SW 152nd Street.

Comments

18 Responses to “Welcome four new councilmembers to City Hall Monday night”
  1. Question Authority says:

This event seems like the perfect opportunity to start the recall petition for the removal of Lauren Berkaditz from her undeserved council position, I will pass around the form there.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 26 Thumb down 30

• Joey Martinez says:

The threshold for recall elections are very high in this state.

Disagreeing with and not liking someone who just won, squarely and fairly, hardly qualifies.

I wish all the council members luck, I think they’re going to need it!

Joey Martinez

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 24 Thumb down 21

2. TbC says:

“Disagreeing with and not liking someone who just won, squarely and fairly, hardly qualifies” You are right Joey. It’s just too bad when ill informed voters elect a socialist cop hater. I hope the council censures her for her innapropriate facebook posts.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 32 Thumb down 20

• Joey Martinez says:

Anyone who loses an election, or has a candidate lose an election, could easily call those voters going the other way “ill informed”. Trust me on that one! ;-) (and I am not doing that myself)

I got to know Lauren on the trail fairly well and I can tell you she is no cop hater. I think you missed her point on WHY a heavily armed SWAT team came to a peaceful demonstration. Unless of course you’re advocating to never have civil disobedience – which would mean you would have sided for the British in 1776?

Joey Martinez

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 20 Thumb down 23

• TbC says:

Apples and oranges Joey… That protest created a public safety issue. The police response was, imho,appropriate. They were protecting me and YOU Joey. I sincerely hope that if Ms. Berkowitz ever needs those “F#*&@*G Police they stop for donuts first. You of all people Joey ,Who ran on the issue of reducing crime in Burien. Shame on you for supporting anyone who would even think those thing about our law enforcement officers. You are so full of it. A “Polititian” in the true sense of the word. Good day, Sir

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 25 Thumb down 19

• Joey Martinez says:

TBC I am glad this is America. We value separate opinions in this country and I felt the response was overkill for a peaceful protect.

I’d rather have those officers in cars patrolling the neighborhoods, where in my opinion they would have been more effective. Apples and Oranges indeed.

Joey Martinez

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 20 Thumb down 23

• TbC says:

Joey, Well we agree to disagree on that police response. O.K. My real point was Ms. Berkowitz wanted a council member held responsible for his posts on social media because she felt offended. I feel she should be held responsible in the same manner for her posts. I am VERY offended by her posts on facebook and I feel everyone who supports our law enforcement officers should be offended. To me it speaks volumes about a person who supports her posts. And yes, Thank God we live in America where we can all share our separate opinions and even put up with Jimmy’s non punctuated posts. Still, what’s good for the goose……….

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 23 Thumb down 13

• Joey Martinez says:

You’re 100% right, you have every right to be offended. Berkowitz was offended and ran against Jack as a result.

Lauren wasn’t a council member when she said what she said. In fact, what offended you came out during the election and the voters voted her in anyway. We have come full circle!

And thanks Lee, I had to read that twice!

Joey Martinez

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 19 Thumb down 23

• Lee Moyer says:

Joey,
        I’m sorry you lost but can see why you did. You take the effort to understand and explain while this format seems to attract those who prefer simplistic answers. Most writers prefer name calling to issue analysis.
        I’ve always felt that those who live in a black and white world may be a little short of gray matter

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 19 Thumb down 20

3. jimmy says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 12 Thumb down 20

• Question Authority says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 21 Thumb down 27

• Joey Martinez says:

I do have to add, and this is NOT an attack against Nancy Tosta, but Question Authority, Nancy was ALSO endorsed by “those” democrats. If you’re there handing out recall petitions tonight they better have Nancy’s name on them as well. Otherwise you’re a hypocrite. Didn’t you support Nancy?

For the record, I do think Nancy will do good work on the council and I don’t wish that either Nancy or Lauren be recalled.

Again, good luck to all Council members!

Joey Martinez

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 15 Thumb down 8

4. Chris says:

I have this funny (actually not-so-funny) feeling that we’ll see Lauren Berkowitz proposing $15/Hour minimum wage legislation at some point during her term. With what has transpired in neighboring Seatac, and what the Seattle mayor is proposing, it seems that this is the legislation de jour right now. With her political leanings, I pretty-much expect that this is going to come up.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 23 Thumb down 5

5. TcB says:

Welcome to the new Council members.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 16 Thumb down 6

6. Pat LeMoine says:

Like it or not this is how our republic works. To ask for a recall before an elected official even takes office is disrespecting the process and the voters who took part.

If you are opposed to Lauren Berkowitz, just remember she is most likely going to be in the minority so how much harm can she cause.

As for this new comment rating system my concerns have been validated by seeing one of Joey Martinez’s comments being hidden. Whether you agree with it or not It is a valid opinion and should not be hidden.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 16 Thumb down 16

• Lee Moyer says:

Pat,
      I agree. This rating system discourages real discourse and enables a faceless mob of those who do not think enough of their own opinions to put their real name on them to censor those who openly stand up for what they believe.
      Democracy and freedom of speech depend on open dialogue, not the reactionary mob.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 17 Thumb down 17

7. Rob says:

All this and no one is concerned that a tea partier was elected???

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 22 Thumb down 6