Marijuana ingestion amongst pets is not an uncommon occurrence

Print This Post  Email This Post

Marijuana ingestion amongst our household pets is not an uncommon occurrence, according to our friends at Priceless Pet Clinic:

The American Veterinary Medical Association recently posted a link to the article below concerning the rise of reported marijuana toxicities in our pets. I personally have experienced similar rise marijuana toxicities in dogs during my time as an emergency veterinarian.

As seen in this link, toxicity is unlikely to be fatal, but can cause severe symptoms. Typically, a pet may present to a clinic with wobbliness, weakness, dribbling urine, and seems to startle easily. With more severe toxicity, pets may be semi-comatose, “shocky”, or exhibit seizure activity. Quantifying the amount of marijuana ingested is often difficult. Smaller dogs tend to have more profound symptoms simply because of their stature.

Often a pet owner does not realize or suspect their pet ingested anything abnormal, until the question is asked by the veterinary professional. We also experience reluctance to inform us that marijuana ingestion is possible, for fear of condemnation. We are not here to judge, but to help discern the cause of your pet’s symptoms and provide the necessary treatment or advice for your pet. We don’t care whether you own the marijuana, or someone else. It is also a relief in many cases that marijuana is suspected to be the problem. As an aside, I have seen parents discover their children’s marijuana use due to toxicity in their pet.

Another consideration is that often marijuana is not the only toxin ingested. Marijuana can be used in baked goods that contain chocolate, xylitol (a sugar substitute), or raisins. All of which can cause toxicity in different ways. Additionally, it is not uncommon to have a pet present for symptoms, thought to be due to marijuana, to find out another recreational drug or toxin is the culprit. If marijuana is suspected it is always best to contact a veterinary clinic for advice.

Priceless Pet Clinic can be reached Monday-Friday from 9 am-5 pm at 206-592-6454.

The Animal Poison Control can be reached 24 hours, 7 days a week at 1-888-426-4435.

Print This Post  Email This Post


2 Responses to “Marijuana ingestion amongst pets is not an uncommon occurrence”
  1. jimmy says:

    ok if any pizza places get any online orders from a mr roof or a ms meow hiss you might want to double check the billing info

  2. Rick D says:

    Once, my 4 yr old dachshund got into some mid grade some idiot left on the floor. The was back last millennium. She kind of got rigors in her joints and didn’t seem to care that we were posing her arms and legs in funny angles and they would just STAY there.

    Of course there was no long term harm and she lived normally another 11 years. But she stayed away from the reefer. For some, all it takes is once to decide it is not for them!

Share Your Opinion

By participating in our online comment system, you are agreeing to abide by the terms of our comment policy.

...and oh, if you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!