REPORT: Mary Kay Letourneau back in news for driving with suspended license

Former Shorewood Elementary School teacher Mary Kay Letourneau – a registered sex offender known for her affair with (and eventual marriage to) 12-year-old student Vili Fualaau – resolved a driving charge Thursday (Jan. 23) and was ordered to pay a $124 fine, according to the Seattle P-I.

Letourneau, 51, was back in the news recently for being arrested for driving with a suspended license on Jan. 6.

That charge stemmed from being pulled over in January 2013, when she was found to have a suspended driver’s license for unpaid traffic tickets.

As many locals will recall, Letourneau was in prison from 1997 to 2004 for having sex with Vili Fualaau, a 12-year old, 6th grade student at Shorewood Elementary School in Burien where she worked. She was 34 at the time, and married with four children.

She married Fualaau in 2005, and the couple currently lives with their two children in Normandy Park.

In 2009, Letourneau hosted a “Hot for Teacher” night at a Seattle bar while her husband worked as a DJ.

Read our previous coverage of Letourneau here.

Comments

12 Responses to “REPORT: Mary Kay Letourneau back in news for driving with suspended license”
  1. Jack says:

Give it a rest! Isn’t there something more pertinent to our community to report?!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 12

• Jack thanks for taking the time to read and comment on the blog.

Please note that this is just one of many local news stories we’ve reported today.

We have purposely formatted our site so Readers can choose to read (or not read) posts.

Because of Mary Kay’s previous record, local ties and the fact that she’s a public figure, we decided it was newsworthy to link to the P-I’s report.

Thanks,
      Scott Schaefer
      Publisher/Editor

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 13 Thumb down 1

• Gwen says:

I just feel that she has not ever had adequate Psychological treatment. I hope that she can eventually get on top of her problems. Suspending her license for parking tickets? Seriously? She really needs an advocate.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 5 Thumb down 9

• Tom says:

Please read again Gwen, unpaid traffic tickets are different than unpaid parking tickets.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 11 Thumb down 0

2. H says:

Who cares?

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 8

3. watchful says:

If she were a man, she would have had to serve a lot more time. What a pity she has messed up her husband’s life. I really feel sorry for her four children too, plus the others she has had with Villi. Hopefully, something good will come out of this persons mistakes.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 12 Thumb down 0

• Jason says:

she is great with her kids, dont you think the fact that they are still together after all these years you have no clue what you are talking about. Her doughter used to babysit my children and my awesome dog also came from her dog when it had puppies. Dont judge when you aint got a clue what you are talking about

4. jimmy says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 23

• Mark Blowers says:

Newsworthy? Yes, because she is a public figure. She is a public figure because of all the attention the case received. The case received so much attention because of a few of the particulars that were/are considered to be taboo in our society. Statutory Rape is a violation of a law that covers many different types of situations. I’m too lazy to research the archives to dig up exactly what she Mary Kay was charged/convicted of, but I’m pretty sure it was statutory rape of some kind. I am not an attorney nor have I had any formal legal training of any type. That is not to say that I do not have any experience in dealing with the three ring circus we think of as the legal system in our country. Anyway, She was an older FEMALE TEACHER who had sex with a 12 YEAR OLD CHILD. Sexual activity between two people where one of the parties is an adult and the other a minor falls into the Statutory Rape category. I’m not sure what the RCW specifically says regarding Statutory Rape, but you might be surprised at what criteria is to be considered in order for the actions to be charged as such. I don’t think the case would have received the attention that it did if she wasn’t such an attractive, early 30’s, married, Catholic mother of four children. You have to admit, “you just don’t see (or read) many of those” do you? Now for the real reason for my rant. I am not an English Major. However, I think if you don’t know when it is appropriate to use the word WOMAN instead of WOMEN, and you don’t have any idea where to place any type of punctuation whatsoever, and you don’t know that “ment” is NOT a word unless there is a noun attached to the front of it, and the life experience to KNOW that she was probably the “horny”one of the two, and how foolish you make yourself sound by using that word at all in what sounds like an expert opinion by an insider close to the people involved. Which is going to be read by other people who live in your community. I’m not sure who is more to blame here; jimmy?(notice the lower case “J”) poor guy, the B Town Blog? (for publishing it) or myself for being such an a-hole feeling like I had to point those issues of stupidity out?

5. I don’t see how she could leave her 4 other kids God Bless the Father for raising the kids in Alaska

6. Kathie Brave says:

I fail to see how this is news worthy in any way. How many people would not only make the local news but the national news because they drove on a suspended license? Unbelievable!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 9