WEATHER: Colder temps, + ‘S’ word mentioned in forecast for Sunday night
The National Weather Service on Friday issued a ‘Special Weather Statement‘ warning of a chance of Snow showers Sunday night into Monday morning, with less than a half inch accumulation possible.
But don’t get too concerned…things should dry up Monday afternoon.
Here’s the statement in its ALL CAPS glory:
…COLDER WEATHER EXPECTED NEXT WEEK…
A MARKED COOLING TREND IS EXPECTED FROM MONDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY OF NEXT WEEK…AS AN AIR MASS WITH ORIGINS IN THE YUKON SPREADS INTO WESTERN WASHINGTON VIA THE FRASER RIVER CANYON.
THE MORE NOTABLE TEMPERATURE DROP WILL BEGIN ON MONDAY AND CONTINUE THROUGH WEDNESDAY…WITH THE COLDEST WEATHER EXPECTED AROUND THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK. BY WEDNESAY…TEMPERATURES WILL RUN ABOUT 15 DEGREES UNDER NORMAL READINGS FOR EARLY FEBRUARY. OVER THE LOWLANDS…THIS MEANS THAT MORNING LOWS AROUND WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY SHOULD RANGE FROM THE MID TEENS TO LOWER 20S…WHILE HIGH TEMPERATURES IN THE 30S SHOULD BE COMMON.
WINDY FRASER OUTFLOW CONDITIONS WILL ALSO DEVELOP LATE SUNDAY AND CONTINUE FOR MUCH OF NEXT WEEK. THIS PATTERN RESULTS IN BRISK NORTHEAST WINDS FROM SUMAS AND BELLINGHAM OUT PAST THE SAN JUAN ISLANDS…WITH WIND GUSTS IN EXCESS OF 40 MPH COMMON. WIND AND COLD TEMPERATURES COULD RESULT IN WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE SINGLE DIGITS. FRASER OUTFLOW ALSO LEADS TO STRONG NORTHEAST WINDS OVER THE NORTHWEST OLYMPIC PENINSULA. ANOTHER WINDY LOCATION WOULD BE FROM STEVENS AND SNOQUALMIE PASSES WEST INTO THE CASCADE FOOTHILLS…WHERE GUSTY EAST WINDS SHOULD OCCUR AT TIMES NEXT WEEK.
LASTLY…A FEW SNOW SHOWERS OR FLURRIES ARE POSSIBLE FROM SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY. HOWEVER…THE AIR MASS WILL BE GETTING DRIER…LIMITING THE COVERAGE OF SNOW AND KEEPING AMOUNTS QUITE LIGHT.
And here’s the 7-day forecast:
- Friday night: A 30 percent chance of showers before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36. North wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.
- Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 44. Calm wind.
- Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 35. Calm wind.
- Sunday: A chance of rain showers after 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 43. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Sunday Night: A chance of rain and snow showers before 10pm, then a chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. North wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible. OH, AND A VERY HIGH CHANCE OF THE SEAHAWKS WINNING SUPER BOWL XLVIII!
- Monday: A chance of snow showers before 10am, then a chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
- Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30.
- Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 38.
- Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29.
- Wednesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 37.
- Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 26.
- Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 36.
- Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30.
- Friday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37.