WEATHER: Cold air mass will lower temps ~20 degrees below normal
The National Weather Service issued a Special Weather Statement warning of a cold air mass that will drop temps down 10 – 20 degrees below normal.
Expect a high around 35 degrees Wednesday afternoon, and lows dipping into the teens.
Some snow is predicted for the weekend, starting Friday night.
Here’s the full text in its urgent, ALL CAPS glory:
…COLD TEMPERATURES CONTINUE THROUGH FRIDAY…
…LOWLAND SNOW POSSIBLE THIS WEEKEND…
A COLD AIR MASS OVER THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST COMBINED WITH DRY LOW LEVEL OFFSHORE FLOW WILL CONTINUE TO BRING BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES TO WESTERN WASHINGTON. LOW TEMPERATURES WILL RANGE FROM THE TEENS TO 20S…WITH SINGLE DIGITS POSSIBLE WEDNESDAY NIGHT. HIGH TEMPERATURES WILL ONLY REACH THE LOW TO MID 30S. THIS IS 10 TO 20 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL.
MOISTURE WILL SPREAD OVER WESTERN WASHINGTON ON SATURDAY AS A WARM FRONT MOVES INLAND. PRECIPITATION WILL LIKELY BEGIN AS SNOW SINCE THE LOW LEVEL AIR MASS WILL STILL REMAIN COLD. THERE WILL THEN BE A TRANSITION FROM SNOW TO RAIN SATURDAY NIGHT OR SUNDAY MORNING AS WARMER MARINE AIR SURGES INLAND.
AT THIS POINT IN TIME…THERE ARE STILL A LOT OF UNCERTAINTIES IN IN THE WEATHER MODELS AS THE EXACT TIMING AND SNOWFALL TOTALS FOR THIS EVENT ARE UNCLEAR. STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST BROADCASTS FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OR VISIT WWW.WEATHER.GOV/SEATTLE FOR UPDATES ON THE WEATHER THIS WEEKEND.
Here’s the 7-day forecast:
- Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 20. Northeast wind 15 to 17 mph.
- Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 35. Northeast wind 15 to 17 mph.
- Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 16. East wind around 16 mph.
- Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 34. East wind around 16 mph.
- Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 20. East southeast wind 8 to 11 mph.
- Friday: Sunny, with a high near 35.
- Friday Night: A chance of rain and snow after 4am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 28. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
- Saturday: Rain and snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36.
- Saturday Night: Rain and snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 32.
- Sunday: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 41.
- Sunday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40.
- Monday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 46.
- Monday Night: Rain likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40.
- Tuesday: Rain likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 46.