Pedestrian hit by vehicle on Ambaum Blvd. SW at SW 122nd Wednesday

A pedestrian was struck by a vehicle Wednesday (March 12) around 2:42 p.m. on Ambaum Blvd. SW at SW 122nd Street, according to Detective Bryan Howard of the Burien Police Department.

Howard told The B-Town Blog that a car skidded through a red light at an unknown speed and hit a pedestrian.

BTB Reader Barbara Newton said she thinks the victim was a child or teen wearing a backpack, but Howard could not confirm that.

The victim was taken to Highline Medical Center, and injuries were not considered serious.

Comments

7 Responses to “Pedestrian hit by vehicle on Ambaum Blvd. SW at SW 122nd Wednesday”
  1. Sarah says:

Something needs to be done at that intersection it is very dangerous! People are always running that red light and almost hitting pedestrians and cars all the time there. There was a accident there about a month ago due to someone running the red light. My prayers go out to the man who was hit and i hope they do something with that area regarding the speeders and those who fail to stop at the red light.

• Jessica says:

I agree. That is a very dangerous intersection. The city needs to do something about it. I honestly hate walking along any part of Ambaum Blvd in Burien. The drivers on that road drive well above the speed limit. As a pedestrian walking on Ambaum, I am putting my life and my daughters life in risk by walk on the sidewalk. I do not feel safe walk on Ambaum. This accident happened a little over a month from the head on collision at this same intersection. How many more people need to be injured if not die at this intersection before the city does something about it.

• JJ Greive says:

What could the city do? I live on 122nd. besides for posing a cop?
        It has street lights, a stop light, marked crosswalks and cross walk signals.
        I fail to see how this can be improved. We have crappy drivers, not a crappy intersection.
        We need to enforce the laws we have and take crappy drivers off the road.

• Lindsey says:

They can put in a red light camera there… if tickets start to get issued people will slow down

2. JJ Greive says:

There is nothing you can do to prevent a stupid and careless drivers beside take there licences. All the safety work in the world will now make up for a inattentive driver, they skidded through a red light. The problem is solely the responsibility of the driver, not a clearly marked intersection with a traffic light and crosswalk signals.

• Wanker says:

JJ Greive – I partially agree with you. I drive in that area every day, and just down the street from where this happened is a cross walk. It is at 124th and Ambaum by the sketchy convenience store. What I have noticed, is that no one stops for pedestrians there. All over King County, if a pedestrian is showing intent at a crosswalk, cars stop, and I am perplexed as to why this particular crosswalk doesn’t have the same attention.

While fancy flashing yellow lights, and big signs may have minimal impact, I think regular presence of red and blue lights attached to the top of a cop car running occasional enforcement checks may have more effect.

3. Eaton B. Verz says:

I’m just happy JJ brought his avatar back! A big thumbs up JJ!
    luv that photo!