LETTER: ‘I wanted to know if you were aware of the homeless problem in Burien’

[EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is a Letter to the Editor, written by a Reader. It does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The B-Town Blog nor its staff:]

Hello to the editor. I wanted to know if you were aware of the homeless problem in Burien.

I dance at New City Dance Company on SW 153rd almost next to Vince’s Pizza. Ms. Jennifer has had homeless people coming in the past few weeks and asking for a drink of water, blankets, etc. She cannot help them. She has a heavy teaching load and a lot of little children there. I cannot help because I am not up to this. I care a lot though.

If anyone else could help it would be wonderful. It is sad to see her having to turn away homeless people, but I understand why she needs to do this. Could anyone in Burien help?

I emailed Union Gospel Mission and asked if they could do anything. Thank you.

Maybe it would be a good idea to publish this so someone could help.

Thank you to the editor.

Sincerely,
Barbara DelGiudice

[Have an opinion or concern you’d like to share with our ~80,000+ monthly Readers? Please send us your Letter to the Editor via email. Include your full name, please remain civil and, pending our review, we’ll most likely publish it.]

Comments

14 Responses to “LETTER: ‘I wanted to know if you were aware of the homeless problem in Burien’”
  1. Marie White says:

One possible resource that is not too far from you is Transform Burien, a church-based organization that has outreach including food and clothing. Here’s a link to their webpage.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 25 Thumb down 1

2. Burinal Dumas says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 27 Thumb down 38

• Wayne says:

Public housing is not as available as you might think. All forms of public housing have at minimum a two year waiting list. This comment shows absolute ignorance and uncaring toward the plight of the homeless. Also, do you know how hard it is to “get a job” if you don’t have an address? Not to mention the issues with bathing and having clean clothes.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 21 Thumb down 5

• Question Authority says:

Never discount the documented fact that many of the so called “homeless” have made their choice of “housing” arrangments by their own free will. Upbringing, lack of goals, refusal to follow rules, unwillingness to participate as a contributing member of civic society etc. etc. etc. Drugs, alcohol, mental illness, abuse etc. also have to be taken in as possible contributing factors, services are well known to the overall population of the homeless but some will always find it easier to screw the system and live the life they have, and chose.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 36 Thumb down 10

• Frank says:

What an astoundingly ignorant assumption.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 18

• Question Authority says:

Wow! your obvious lack of knowledge of the historical information and research done on this topic only shows your own ignorance of how this side of society exists on the fringe.
            Those who choose this way of life do so and could care less about what you feel they need or want to improve their lives to a standard you feel is appropriate, they will always exist and be what they choose to be no matter what you want or feel they need.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 16 Thumb down 12

3. John Farrar says:

I can’t help because I am not up to it. I sure do care a lot though.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 9 Thumb down 5

• ATKMH says:

Sorry John. You don’t know the writer and her condition. She truly does not have the resources to assist, so she did the one thing she could, ask for help.

4. jimmy says:

I say give them food if you have extra and if you can afford it donate some money to a shelter that way if they want help they can get it but also some don’t like the shelters due to strict rules and early wake up times

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 5

5. TcB says:

Whatever happened to the terms Hobo, Tramp, Vagrant, Bum… I mean Hobo’s will work, but Bum’s won’t and don’t want to. Homeless is too broad a term, it’s use should be diminished in favor of the old ones. Services should be for those who are homeless because they fell through a crack, and need help getting back out, not for the permanently drifting by choice.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 6

• jimmy says:

I think those words don’t get used as often like redneck, hillbilly, white trash or back woods old fart are some others terms people don’t use in public anymore

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 4 Thumb down 11

6. Greg Duff says:

It is easy to get cynical about the homeless because there are a few who take advantage of the people willing to give. The problem is, what if you turn away someone who is truly in need thinking they are only scamming money for a drink. I would rather help as many people as possible knowing that those who truly need this help are getting it. With that said, I need we need to be smart in how we help the homeless. How can we get the most “bang for our buck”?. Giving money to someone along side the freeway entrance may not be the best idea. You don’t know what the money is going for. I really don’t care to enable their drinking. I would prefer to give my money or my resources to Transform Burien or the Union Gospel Mission. Transform Burien does not have a housing program but they do feed and clothes those in need. By giving to them, I know my money or donated items are being well used.
    The comment was made that some people will not stay at a mission because they don’t like the rules (waking up early etc). Thank God for rules. It keeps the organization organized.
    We are very lucky to have a great program like Transform Burien here in our hometown.
    The homeless will always be with us and we need to know how to help them.

• Question Authority says:

Case in point about why giving to an organization is best is the true story that took place in Seattle as part of a social experiment. A man approached a downtown deli and struck a deal where he would pay for any of the 50 free sandwiches when the coupon was redeemed. He then proceeded to hand those coupons out to any person panhandling in the area who asked for spare change. Out of those 50 free meals “not a single one” was redeemed making the point that food was not as valued as drugs and alcohol bought with spare change. Donate to a established charity, not to a substance abuse problem.

Well-liked. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 14 Thumb down 1

7. pamela says:

Aware, um YES. Have you heard of Nicklesville? Right down the hill. it was cleared out and some moved to other place, especially along Meyer’s way.

Does any one remember the “pregnant” lady last summer around the Burien area, begging for money, well guess where she is now. At the intersections of Highland and West Marginal begging.

Here are some pictures of the clean up along Meyer’s way and the former pregnant lady. One has to wonder where her kid is while she is begging. http://roominate.com/blog/2014/ppl-1-23-14/

Yes I am very cynical. I have tried hiring some of the guys for summer work. No one ever wanted to work.

Then the animal issue. Stilling dealing with abandoned cats left behind. The cats are moving around to other areas where there are feeding stations of established colonies that have been TNR”D for over 10 years. I got 7 semi feral kittens from a homeless guy staying in the Meyer’s way greenbelt.

I did help a lady recently get her cat fixed she was begging for money on 146/1st S. She straight up admitted she was a drug addict. Ok fine at least the damn cat is not going to have kittens.

The guy who generally begs at the corner of 4 ave sw and 146, he has a dog with him. FYI has housing, yep he is NOT homeless.

We have to make decisions: to take that drink or stick that needle in your arm. Taking the medications for your mental illness and yes I know the side effects SUCK.

If you want to educate your self a little bit more about the catastrophe that Nicklesville was go to this blog http://roominate.com/blog/.

People who really want the help will get it.